Need help buying a NAS for backup

Associate
Hi, I would like someone advice on buying a NAS for the purpose of backing up my home office.

I probably have about 2TB of data to backup in total and I want something with headroom.

I was looking at the 8TB Buffalo with WD Red Drives on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-LS...puters&sprefix=buff,computers,147&sr=1-6&th=1

£298

Or Synology DS218j 8TB, 2 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure with WD Red Drives

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-S...losure&qid=1569234280&s=computers&sr=1-2&th=1

£399.85

I'm only going to be using it for backing up data. What do you think?

Thanks

Soldato
A local backup is still potentially useless in the event of fire/theft/flood etc. so if you’re actually using this as a backup of anything worth backing up, consider something else as part of your strategy. For a local backup an external drive offers greater flexibility and likely speed (via USB3) compared to a NAS, an internal is potentially more convenient, obviously viri/ransomware could still be problematic if it’s left connected. Also using terms like ‘office’ implies some form of commercial activity, that could have implications in terms of storage/compliance.

Associate
OP
A local backup is still potentially useless in the event of fire/theft/flood etc. so if you’re actually using this as a backup of anything worth backing up, consider something else as part of your strategy. For a local backup an external drive offers greater flexibility and likely speed (via USB3) compared to a NAS, an internal is potentially more convenient, obviously viri/ransomware could still be problematic if it’s left connected. Also using terms like ‘office’ implies some form of commercial activity, that could have implications in terms of storage/compliance.

Hi Avalon,

In regards to backing up to an internal drive. That is what I was doing doing and it has just gone!! It was a 3TB drive and I have just lost all of my backups etc..

I could replace with another internal disk again, or use an external drive like you were saying.

I have just seen this going for sale on Amazon at a good price https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Desktop-External-Creative-Photography/dp/B01IAD5ZC6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=8TB+Seagate+STEL8000200&qid=1569311401&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1

Price wise they appear to be about the same for 8TB.

I might be able to get away with a single 4TB internal disk for £90. But that wouldn't give me much headroom.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Synology and use Veeam (Windows Agent (Free))

I looked at a couple of options and decided to buy another internal hard disk.

I was already using the free Veeam agent as my backup software tool, and I was wondering if that's what killed it!! I never had any problems with the 3TB drive until I started putting a daily backup load on it.

I've now ordered a 4TB drive as a replacement and I will see how that one holds. It has a 2yr warranty so I'm hoping all goes well.

Thanks

Si.

Si.

Soldato
If it's a business consider a cloud backup solution, Azure backup for example. As already said, local backups are useless in the event of a disaster (Fire, flood, Godzilla attack, etc. )

Having a 2yr warranty on a drive is great to get a replacement drive, but it won't save your lost data.

Back
Top Bottom