• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Don’t buy NEW ryzen CPU’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
It's like talking to a wall.

I think the assumption that AMD = Cheap is for bulldozer days, it might be cheap for what it is but the performance is there and your buying into a platform where small "cheap" £60 cpu upgrades are even worthwhile. Tell a man that paid £1000 or even £4000 for a cpu made by AMD that it's the cheap option. Other than that you literally have just told the entire world what they already know.

Permabanned
I think the assumption that AMD = Cheap is for bulldozer days, it might be cheap for what it is but the performance is there and your buying into a platform where small "cheap" £60 cpu upgrades are even worthwhile. Tell a man that paid £1000 or even £4000 for a cpu made by AMD that it's the cheap option. Other than that you literally have just told the entire world what they already know.

The performance has been there since the first generation of Ryzen. With third generation Ryzen, AMD only managed to equal i9-9900K performance.
Meanwhile, we had expected price reduction because of the new manufacturing node. Price reductions didn't follow - actually the opposite has happened - price increases.

So just to recap, don't buy new CPU's because older slower ones cost less? Thanks for this incredible nostradamus level of insight.

I think he only means to buy those CPUs with best performance/dollar.

Associate
The performance has been there since the first generation of Ryzen. With third generation Ryzen, AMD only managed to equal i9-9900K performance.
Meanwhile, we had expected price reduction because of the new manufacturing node. Price reductions didn't follow - actually the opposite has happened - price increases.

I think he only means to buy those CPUs with best performance/dollar.

Well if we want performance to cost, then everyone needs to buy a xeon x5650. Nothing comes close, not even remotely close.

Advice of the day still stands. Buy old stuff, cos it's cheaper. I think he's on to something...

Caporegime

AMD have equalled in gaming and trounced the 9900K in productivity at a similar price point (after Intel shaved £100 off the price).

Price reductions didn't follow? How much was a 12 core CPU from Intel or on X399 before the 3900X came along? How much was a 9900K at release of the 3900X? Zen 2 seems to have been pretty good value to me right across the board.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well clearly majority responding here are with big pockets and on the bleeding edge of the technology, so much so, that the mere musing of buying second hand sounds like an insult.
But everyday there's several new threads from people with limited budgets of around 700 GBP that are after capable systems that might find this thread useful. When you are that heavily limited by the budget a second hand 2600 for 80 GBP will go a lot further than 3600 for 180 or whatever is its price, while being not that far off in performance spectrum.
And its not like you have to sacrifice anything. In a year when 4600 comes out, just swap your 2600 for 3600.

Soldato
I'm sure the owners of the shop connected with this forum would love to hear that not buying new is best. This is an enthusiasts forum after all and enthusiasts spend relative to their enthusiasm and interest.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Well clearly majority responding here are with big pockets and on the bleeding edge of the technology, so much so, that the mere musing of buying second hand sounds like an insult.
But everyday there's several new threads from people with limited budgets of around 700 GBP that are after capable systems that might find this thread useful. When you are that heavily limited by the budget a second hand 2600 for 80 GBP will go a lot further than 3600 for 180 or whatever is its price, while being not that far off in performance spectrum.
And its not like you have to sacrifice anything. In a year when 4600 comes out, just swap your 2600 for 3600.

I find it funny that you are giving this advice to people buy second hand and to save money and amd = no value just how muich extra have you paid on your system to have them all say asus and rog ?

not saying that spending so much on a pc is bad i think we all sould! But there are so many better priced products out there?

asus psu, cooler both priced higher then competion then even buying into the asus lighting as well sorry but you could have saved a whole 3600 just from them parts lol

and that case whilst it looks nice but way over priced

i dare to say it but your pc build must be getting close to the price i built my whole system for and yours has worse specs then mine

i say look at own spending before giving advioce on staying behind the curve but hey thats just me

Soldato
Again, you’re not saying anything new here buddy. I’ve seen quite a few threads where people looking for budget focused builds have need advised to go 2600 with a b350 or b450 board.

Associate
OP
i say look at own spending before giving advioce on staying behind the curve but hey thats just me

Oh yea, I don't recommend my build to anyone else. Just an itch that I wanted to scratch. I'd say the Phase 1 of the build is finished.
But what does my personal choices have to do with anything. Does my opinions about value rigs are less relevant ? Don't I understand the performance per dollar aspect. I think the whole purpose of this thread was about how undervalued the 2600 is at the moment that it would be foolish to buy a new CPU if you are trying to get your budget go long.

Permabanned
AMD have equalled in gaming and trounced the 9900K in productivity at a similar price point (after Intel shaved £100 off the price).

Price reductions didn't follow? How much was a 12 core CPU from Intel or on X399 before the 3900X came along? How much was a 9900K at release of the 3900X? Zen 2 seems to have been pretty good value to me right across the board.

Let's compare oranges vs oranges / 8-core vs 8-core.

Soldato
I'll entertain you. Technically since AMD just autoboosts and doesn't overclock. AMD fanboys have nothing to do on "overclockers" forum. you need to form a new forum like, "barelyboosts dot com or itcomeslikethisfromthebox com"

Lol to be fair Intel are just as guilty of killing off overclocking but only as a close second to Nvidia. Nvidia overclocking died with Maxwell.

Associate
Going by your calculation a second hand 2600 will cost £80 now then spend another £80 in a year on a 3600.

So you're saying to use second hand parts that are over a year out of date to save £20 over 2 years, a saving of £10 per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom