*** Nintendo Switch ***

PayDay Lover
Associate
So sounds like Links Awakening will be a good buy. Glad to hear it, not bought it yet because I am busy with my Zelda marathoning - Zelda and Adventures of Link completed via the Switch NES virtual console, currently working my way through Link to a Past (amazing what I remember about that game from so long ago, never realized till the wife was watching and said 'how the hell did you know to do that?!'). So the remake will be next on the Zelda to do list, and eventually, hopefully the N64 Zelda will be around.

On another note, I really hope the SNES virtual gets Chaos Engine, I have fond memories of that game yet there has never been another or as far as I am aware any similar games made.

As for the comment many pages about BOTW being overrated, it is true, it is overrated...don't get me wrong, it was an amazing game, but excessive durability limits, overall ease (and pointlessness of combat) and lack of the old fashioned dungeons are all flaws which take away its perfection.
That said, it is not the most overrated game, Final Fantasy 7 holds that title (also an excellent game, but not the holy grail of games)

Man of Honour
Ms. Nitefly is playing fire emblem at the moment and very content. I’ve observed very little, but I was deeply amused by the silliness of an animation in combat where this literal swarm of soldiers ran across the battlefield to attack someone, ran up to the poor victim, and it just came up with ‘missed’ and the swarm ran off :D

It was like something from a sketch show :p

Soldato
Can't afford the normal switch, but should be able to get the lite. Also I wouldn't be hooking it up to my TV anyway as I have a small rubbish one that puts me off playing my PS4 on. So many awesome games on the switch that I don't want to miss out on.

I have a £100 John Lewis voucher that needs using up soon. Do I go for the lite or am I wasting money, I just want a better 3ds, I have a descent pc for sat down at a screen gaming.

Soldato
It’s a fair point, I play almost exclusively hand held but there have been times where I wanted to play 2 player with Mrs sk8 and hooked it up to a TV, a lite wouldn’t have don’t it.

Soldato
Can't afford the normal switch, but should be able to get the lite. Also I wouldn't be hooking it up to my TV anyway as I have a small rubbish one that puts me off playing my PS4 on. So many awesome games on the switch that I don't want to miss out on.

I have a £100 John Lewis voucher that needs using up soon. Do I go for the lite or am I wasting money, I just want a better 3ds, I have a descent pc for sat down at a screen gaming.
The Lite is an excellent upgrade from the 3DS if you know you're never going to be bothered about playing it docked. I find it much more comfortable to play for longer periods in handheld mode than the OG due to the ~33% reduction in weight.

Has anyone got the FFVIII remaster on the Switch?
Is it a decent enough version? How readable is the text in handheld?

Haven't played it but it looks readable enough.

Man of Honour

Get the normal Switch and sell the dock. You have a better device with a bigger screen, more comfortable if you aren't a manlet, much better battery life, and 2 controllers for a very similar amount of cash. Also you avoid the whole console being useless when the joysticks inevitably suffer from drift.

Or buy a second hand one and sell the dock to pay much less than the Switch Lite.

Either way you have a better device and you can always buy another dock (or portable dock) in the future if you ever do want to connect to the TV.

Soldato
Don't let anyone out you off the lite.

If you would prefer it then get it. The lite feels great in the hand and not too small.

I only used my Switch in handheld so after it got damaged I waited a while to get an other one.

Glad I went for the lite. It really suits my needs better and is still the same internally as the normal Switch. Just missing the TV out circuits.

Battery life about 4.5 hours playing Zelda so far.

Soldato
Similar price? You'd save about £50-60 with the lite, you're lucky to get over £30 for the dock after postage and fees these days and if you want to play docked in the future you'd have to buy another again anyway. The screen size isn't really a selling point either way honestly, you trade off a slightly bigger screen for a slightly sharper screen. Battery life is better at the cost of portability and as for "2 Controllers" the sideways joycons are the worst controller I've ever used and you couldn't pay me to play with them for more than 15 minutes and I have manlet hands :p.

Man of Honour
Don't let anyone out you off the lite.

If you would prefer it then get it. The lite feels great in the hand and not too small.

He hasn't stated that he prefers the Lite, just that he thinks he can only afford the Lite.

Similar price? You'd save about £50-60 with the lite, you're lucky to get over £30 for the dock after postage and fees these days and if you want to play docked in the future you'd have to buy another again anyway. The screen size isn't really a selling point either way honestly, you trade off a slightly bigger screen for a slightly sharper screen. Battery life is better at the cost of portability and as for "2 Controllers" the sideways joycons are the worst controller I've ever used and you couldn't pay me to play with them for more than 15 minutes and I have manlet hands :p.

A ~£30 difference is pretty close for the bunch of advantages you get, and you even end up paying a good amount less than the Lite by going second hand!

A larger screen size is definitely beneficial considering the number of games with barely legible text even on the bigger screen of the full Switch.

Don't kid yourself, neither console is particularly "portable" as neither will fit in a pocket and both require cases and to be stored in a bag. The difference in size doesn't help with portability as even the full Switch fits in the side pocket of my rucksack with its case, and neither fit in any of my pockets.

I think too many people are defensive about their new purchases in this thread, and are unwilling to accept that there are disadvantages with the Lite. e.g. I notice everyone lets slip the important points such as the joycon drift in their counter arguments.

Soldato
He hasn't stated that he prefers the Lite, just that he thinks he can only afford the Lite.

A ~£30 difference is pretty close for the bunch of advantages you get, and you even end up paying a good amount less than the Lite by going second hand!

A larger screen size is definitely beneficial considering the number of games with barely legible text even on the bigger screen of the full Switch.

Don't kid yourself, neither console is particularly "portable" as neither will fit in a pocket and both require cases and to be stored in a bag. The difference in size doesn't help with portability as even the full Switch fits in the side pocket of my rucksack with its case, and neither fit in any of my pockets.

I think too many people are defensive about their new purchases in this thread, and are unwilling to accept that there are disadvantages with the Lite. e.g. I notice everyone lets slip the important points such as the joycon drift in their counter arguments.
He says he just wants a better 3DS so the lite fits that perfectly.

It's not £20-30 it's £50-60, that's taking into account the money you get back for the dock, not insignificant for those who don't have a lot of cash for luxuries like a Switch.

I've personally had no problems with text in any game I've played so far, that seems like something for the person buying to consider, not a general benefit for the OG switch.

It's objectively more portable, again that will be up for the person buying to decide if the size and weight difference will be beneficial to them. The weight difference for me personally makes it much more conformable to hold for longer periods.

People keep going on about the drift issue as if it makes much of a difference. The OG switch will still be affected. I imagine they'll charge a similar amount if it happens out of warranty with the only difference being that you'll be without your switch for a week or two, not something that should sway which version you buy honestly.

If I had buyer's remorse I could easily sell it on for what I paid, I'm happy with my purchase though I plan on keeping my original too.

Soldato
If drift ends up a thing on the Lite I wouldn't be happy. I can't deny though that it is a desirable bit of kit. For me though some games need a TV (Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, BoTW, Mario Odyssey) - personal preference obviously. Anyway it's the buyers choice and either way you'll have access to a great and growing library of games.

Back
Top Bottom