Can a landlord claim for things on a deposit that were left by a previous tenant?

Soldato
OP
@MrRockliffe, frankly it is the unreasonable attitude of tenants like you that mean that Landlords are so often given the benefit of the doubt by Deposit Protection Schemes.

You acknowledge that the lampshades were on the check-in inventory that you accepted; no matter how awful they were, you had no right to dispose of them.

It is almost certainly going to cost the landlord £20 each to get them replaced, why should he/she have to pay out for your abuse of the property?

MAN UP!

Lol

Caporegime
There were 2 pairs of curtains on there not his, blinds, toilet brushes...

The check in inventory only lists what is present when the next tenant moves in - it doesn’t in anyway denote ownership

It is probably a good indication - I mean what did you think the purpose of an inventory is?

Did you sign the inventory etc.. ?

Soldato
OP
It is probably a good indication - I mean what did you think the purpose of an inventory is?

Did you sign the inventory etc.. ?

An inventory, as explained by my check in clerk, is a visual indication as to the condition of the property. As I said, it doesn’t state whether or not something is owned by the landlord.

A sack of rubbish on the inventory doesn’t mean that the landlord owns it

Caporegime

Well yes, that is obvious but we're not talking about a sack of rubbish!

For reference:

Y1AIQUq.png

Generally that would mean things that belong to either the landlord or that have been left behind by previous tenants... it is best to check these things in future.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Landlords are so often given the benefit of the doubt by Deposit Protection Schemes.
The **** are we. I had a tenant who put random shelves up on a feature wall, it's in the contract they can't do that but hey ho, when the fella leaves he rips them off and left a pollyfillered mess without finishing or painting and they fell in his favour!! Just, how?

An inventory, as explained by my check in clerk, is a visual indication as to the condition of the property. As I said, it doesn’t state whether or not something is owned by the landlord.

The inventory is there so I know everything is still there when you leave. Are you serious?

Associate
If it was in the inventory, yes. But you should expect the landlord to be reasonable and accept a replacement.
Ages ago, a lampshade which I hated from day one, from the last property that I rented, was damaged during the day I was moving out. Searched everywhere. The weird colourful tacky thing. Found something not identical, but close enough. The landlord didn't made a big deal of it.
Simple go down home bargains or b and m and get something that look "nice", but cost a fraction of the 20 pounds. Sorted.

Soldato

Would you sign an inventory which had a sack of rubbish listed on it? You signed one with some lampshades on it.

Soldato
Last house I rented I boxed up everything that was already there & stored it in the attic, with the intention to put it all back when I left.

LL turned out to be a nightmare to contact when things needed doing so when I left I just left everything in the attic & took a full video of every room including the attic & the box marked LL's stuff, filming the contents too.

LL tried to claim for the contents so I sent DPS the video & they still wanted to give him £100 for "putting everything back"

I told them no. Everything on the inventory is there.

Soldato
No I don’t know who originally purchased them - I asked the question to see if it’s even worth bringing up the point of whether or not he is the original purchaser

It doesn't matter who originally bought them. They belonged to the landlord and you didn't have permission to bin them.
What if you find out that he inherited the flat? Will you try and claim back all the rent you paid because the landlord wasn't the original buyer of the flat?

Soldato
Why would you throw them away anyway? You weren't benefiting from that and neither was he. Were they disgusting and grubby, otherwise
I see no logic in this but stupidity or spite. Why?

Soldato
All you had to do was replace the ones you threw away and no-one would be none the wiser. You signed the inventory with the lamp shades included. You really think this wasn't going to be brought up?

Soldato
If these lamp shades that were thrown away were paper, they have a limited life expectancy, the ones that were here when we moved in 13+ years ago are long gone and we will dispute any landlord claim made against them to the TDS as and when we leave.

The letting agent and the company they use for inventory checks at this property have been a complete waste of space, they didn't even realise the garage was part of the property and so had no record of the items left in there by the previous tenants.

Soldato
All you had to do was replace the ones you threw away and no-one would be none the wiser. You signed the inventory with the lamp shades included. You really think this wasn't going to be brought up?

The likelyhood is since he's left, he can't do this. The landlord wouldn't be sending you bills for inventory if you still lived there.

Soldato
On the inventory, there’s a Christmas tree stand.... Doesn’t mean it’s the landlord’s :)
)
What you can be sure of though, is that it isn't yours. The same applies to the lampshades.

Simple logic would suggest not binning things that you know don't belong to you without telling/asking anyone

Back
Top Bottom