• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700 XT Vs 1080ti. Upgrading from 980

Associate
My old Strix GTX 980 doesn't fit in my new case so I'm on the hunt for a new GPU.

Options are, a Powercolor Red Dragon 5700 XT or a Galax/KFA2 1080ti, second hand but BNIB.

AMD will be around £420, the 1080ti at £480.

Where would you put your money and why?

OcUK Staff
AMD all way, they are becoming so impressive and so good with their drivers with new features and updates and 1080Ti is maxed out, whereas NAVI still has more performance potential to unleash.

Soldato
My old Strix GTX 980 doesn't fit in my new case so I'm on the hunt for a new GPU.

Options are, a Powercolor Red Dragon 5700 XT or a Galax/KFA2 1080ti, second hand but BNIB.

AMD will be around £420, the 1080ti at £480.

Where would you put your money and why?

5700XT without question. You will have warranty also

Soldato
Yeah, I love my 1080 Ti, but you'd be nuts to pay that sort of price for one used. The 5700 XT is a much better buy than the 2070S at current prices.

Caporegime
Don’t buy a 5700XT blower card unless you want a fan heater in your computer room. Although by the time you spend the extra for a decent cooler you’re nearly in 2070S territory and the choice becomes much more difficult.

Caporegime
Yeah, none of that is even remotely correct...
Oh? Please do point out my inaccuracies.

5700XT blower is hot and loud. Good for small cases where you want the heat expelled from the case. Not so much for bigger cases with good airflow.

I will concede that pricing for a good 5700XT is around £100 less than a mid level 2070S though. Perhaps ‘nearly’ was a poor choice, I should have said £100 short of a 2070S.

Caporegime
AMD all way, they are becoming so impressive and so good with their drivers with new features and updates and 1080Ti is maxed out, whereas NAVI still has more performance potential to unleash.

my mate just bought an AMD card the 5700. he says it's just constant crashes and the drivers are a mess.

I just bought AMD cpu and wanted to try out their GPU's but you need to feed this back to suppliers. AMD need to up their software.

Soldato
my mate just bought an AMD card the 5700. he says it's just constant crashes and the drivers are a mess.

I just bought AMD cpu and wanted to try out their GPU's but you need to feed this back to suppliers. AMD need to up their software.
Nonsense. If "your mate" has issues with his card, then it's either a PEBCAK situation or he's simply been unlucky and gotten a just plain faulty card. As someone who uses both Nvidia and AMD's GPU drivers and software regularly, there's zero difference between the two in terms of stability and AMD are ahead on useful features these days. They don't need to "up" their software at all. If anything, Nvidia are the company that needs to change. Putting aside what a bloated, horrific, tracking-infested mess everything except the base driver is, their control panel looks like something from the late 90s.

Soldato
How hot and loud is your XT, Panos? Not even remotely IIRC...

Don’t buy a 5700XT blower card unless you want a fan heater in your computer room. Although by the time you spend the extra for a decent cooler you’re nearly in 2070S territory and the choice becomes much more difficult.

Wrote numerous times, that we need to define the word "loud". I have a 5700XT AE the PC is half metre to the right and down to the side of the desk. I do not have shoved a microphone to the back of the card, neither my head in the case.
And I have also a waterblock but haven't been bother to put it on yet. Other cards had them replaced withing 48 hours with their waterblocks because they were unbearable to play games (GTX1080 Armor, Vega 64 reference, Fury Nano are good examples), but not the 5700XT AE.

The only thing can be heard with the default fan curve is the low pitched moving air, not the fan. The fan doesn't make any noise until well into 3000+ RPM which by the default the card never reaches, has to be manually set. The sound of the moving air is exactly the same of the soft whoosh my GTX1080Ti Xtreme did, Vega 64 Nitro, GTX1080 Armor. (on the later could hear bit the fans also).
Last time checked nobody complained the 3 fan GTX1080Ti Xtreme was a loud card or the Vega 64 Nitro nobody.

And again pointing the pitch of the sound. The noise the Vega 64 reference blower, the GTX980Ti, the GTX780Ghz or the Fury Nano were doing had the annoying fan whining noise also which was annoying and can call loud similarly to the 8800GTX which as was loud as those three. So nothing comparable to 5700XT AE.

When playing game, listening to music etc (while playing games) through speakers at 30%-40%, the card cannot be heard over them. Neither when using headphones to talk to people.
Contrary to the V64 ref, 980Ti FE etc which were properly "loud" cards because of the fan making the noise.

Few months back had to use 2 Noctua Industrial 3000 fans on my Vega 64. These fans are seriously loud at 40% speed let alone over 50%. And the 5700XT AE is nothing like them.

As for heat you are mentioning @MissChief is irrelevant and your Physics need a good brushing. GTX2070S generates more heat, due to the higher energy consumption and that heat is moved into the case. The cooler is better transferring the heat more efficiently. The blower of the 5700XT true isn't as efficient but also moves the air out of the case. However because is inefficient the heat remains on the chip and isn't transferred to the environment.
And before you reply, need to read the Laws of Thermodynamics and understand that eg 200W of energy consumption, generate the same amount of heat regardless if it is a heater, a boiler, an Nvidia graphic card, an AMD graphic card or an Intel CPU. The heat generated is exactly the same 200W on all.

That is why watercooling "warms up the rooms faster" than air cooling also. Because it moves the heat faster to the environment.

Soldato

Bulsht. I have 5700 two weeks after release and no issue what so ever while the drivers have been fine. As all the drivers have been since June 2018 where started using AMD GPUs.
Except 19.6.1/19.6.2 which somehow had a blurry image on the Vega 64.

That cannot be said for Nvidia which the sound over DP when my monitor set at 144hz+ wasn't working since September 2016 drivers (it was working on previous drivers) and until June 2018 sold my 1080Ti.
and that with 2 different NV cards. (GTX1080 Armor, GTX1080TI Xtreme). Let alone the constant rollbacks of drivers because of bugs and crashed Nvidia introduced and the crap barebones drivers GUI.

AMD has far superior drivers in all aspects including the tools to do things that Nvidia doesn't have at all. So spare us the sht.

Caporegime
Bulsht. I have 5700 two weeks after release and no issue what so ever while the drivers have been fine. As all the drivers have been since June 2018 where started using AMD GPUs.
Except 19.6.1/19.6.2 which somehow had a blurry image on the Vega 64.

That cannot be said for Nvidia which the sound over DP when my monitor set at 144hz+ wasn't working since September 2016 drivers (it was working on previous drivers) and until June 2018 sold my 1080Ti.
and that with 2 different NV cards. (GTX1080 Armor, GTX1080TI Xtreme). Let alone the constant rollbacks of drivers because of bugs and crashed Nvidia introduced and the crap barebones drivers GUI.

AMD has far superior drivers in all aspects including the tools to do things that Nvidia doesn't have at all. So spare us the sht.

he had zero issues with his previous card. switched to AMD now constant.

Soldato
he had zero issues with his previous card. switched to AMD now constant.

Then we need to know the exact error. Setup of his system. Does he try to use PCIe4.0 on a non X570 board? Has he used DDU in windows safe mode to wipe drivers?
Whats the errors in event log? Many games need to delete their cache if they store pre-baked graphics.
The list is long of things that can be wrong and not the fault of his graphic card.

Back
Top Bottom