Dirt Rally 2.0

Caporegime
OP
whats this game like compared to Dirt Rally?

Is it much an improvement?

Im looking at getting it, also what wheel/equipment do you guys recommend?

I game on 1080p on a 24 inch monitor.

its better than dirt rally 1. the handling is better once you adjust if you used to dirt rally 1. cars have weight now gravel dirt conditions are sublime. i might be biased though as i helped mould the handling in this game. :D

wheel depends on budget. if you havent got much to spare a second hand logitech DFGT is a good starting point. these can be had for upto £50. after that in the £150-£200 range you will be looking at mainstream modern wheels like logitech g29 and thrustmaster wheels. tbh i dont think you can get a better wheel for under £200 than the logitech g29. after £200+ the worlds your oyster and how much money you want to spend. if your new to racing rally sims i would say get one of the first two options. to see how you feel. a logitech g29 will hold its money for years. so even if you dont like it you will get majority of its price back 2nd hand. they also pretty bullet proof.

i have numerous videos on the game on my dirt channel if you want to see footage. many world record runs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DGeeeeeee

Soldato
whats this game like compared to Dirt Rally?

Is it much an improvement?

Im looking at getting it, also what wheel/equipment do you guys recommend?

I game on 1080p on a 24 inch monitor.

It's better than Dirt Rally, but only just. Car handling / weight is better. FFB improvements are subjective. Graphics are better.

It's also worse than Diry Rally in that the stages / cars that you were used to from the first title are are now mostly paid addons, unless you buy the correct deluxe version.

As for equipment I'd suggest the Logitech G29 & Shifter as you get 3 pedals & a gear stick to make driving the older cars more immersive, if that's what you're after. This'll cost £180-£220

A step up from that would be a Thrustmaster T300 Alcantara + SSH Shifter. The pedals included with the T300 aren't as good as the G29 ones, but the SSH Shifter is much better & can easily switch between h-pattern and sequential. This will set you back £500 all in.

After that you're looking at the Fanatec CSL Elite + LC Pedals. This will be slightly more expensive at £530 & will have the best pedals, but has no gear stick. The SSH Shifter would cost another £100 on top of this.

It all really depends on your budget & how much immersion you're after.

Some people are happy using the paddles on the back of the various wheels to change gears. Whereas others want to use the same style of gearbox that's in the car they're driving.

Associate
its better than dirt rally 1. the handling is better once you adjust if you used to dirt rally 1. cars have weight now gravel dirt conditions are sublime. i might be biased though as i helped mould the handling in this game. :D

wheel depends on budget. if you havent got much to spare a second hand logitech DFGT is a good starting point. these can be had for upto £50. after that in the £150-£200 range you will be looking at mainstream modern wheels like logitech g29 and thrustmaster wheels. tbh i dont think you can get a better wheel for under £200 than the logitech g29. after £200+ the worlds your oyster and how much money you want to spend. if your new to racing rally sims i would say get one of the first two options. to see how you feel. a logitech g29 will hold its money for years. so even if you dont like it you will get majority of its price back 2nd hand. they also pretty bullet proof.

i have numerous videos on the game on my dirt channel if you want to see footage. many world record runs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DGeeeeeee

I played Dirt Rally 1 on a Dualshock 4 controller, i found the cars hard to control, would you say its easier or more difficult with a wheel? When it comes to sim racing I am a novice the only time iv used a wheel is down the arcades or in real life driving.

The G29 wheel looks good entry level wheel, I may purchase this and see how it feels. I don't have a stand or racing seat though so will it be ok on a desk? Also what monitor do you play on? I am looking for an immerse experience so maybe my 24" monitor will not give me that?

I had a look on your youtube videos you are really good driving.

Caporegime
OP
i think you will have a innitial learning period swapping to wheel but you should be better off after you passed that period of swapping over. i personally wouldnt play dirt or any car games on anything but a wheel. it transforms the experience and if the handling is right feels far better and immersive than a game pad. here is a true story. in dirt rally 1 i was trying to set a world record and at the end of the run completing it my wheel died going over the line. i had a xbox pad so thought i will just play with that for a while. after a few attempts i was so slow in comparision to my old times i just ordered a new wheel again about a hr later.

i only put my logitech wheels on my desk no fancy rigs. i would check your desk width where a wheel bolts on , clamps on. some people forget this. logitech wheels you can remove a spacer on the g clamp also to make it easier for thick tables. i personally use high hz monitors. a normal monitor will be fine.you will be fine.

as said look for offers on a logitech g29. they go up and down from ~£150 - £200. people will want upto £150 2nd hand and you will have the warranty and the knowledge knowing its new and not worn or damaged. if you get the g29 it can come with a gearstick or without. i would go for with the gearstick. later on down the line even if you not using it at the start you may want to do so later.

Soldato
Whats your setup? Monitor, PC specs, Wheel and pedals, and shifter?
PC
- i5 9600 @4.5
- GB Aorus Z390 Ultra
- 16Gb Ram

Monitor
-Acer eb321qur 31.5 1440

Wheel setup
- Logitech G920 wheel pedal shifter set
- Shifter has been modified with the 3dRap Upgrade kit in sequential setup
- Thrustmaster Sparco TSS handbrake/shifter used in Handbrake mode

I've not got round to buying the season 3/4 pack yet, just had no time at all last couple of months to play due to being away with work, and this will be the case for the coming months still want to upgrade wheel setup to something a bit juicier though, when things calm down at work and I get some time to dedicate to it, I'll probably invest in a Fanatec wheel setup.

Caporegime
OP
dirt is better but thats a personal opinion. also new content officially tomorrow. pug 206 and new golf gti added. if you have the special editions you can play it right now on steam.

Soldato
Dirt Rally 2 standard edition or WRC 8? Does anybody have both and how do they compare?

WRC8 has more varied/better stages than the base DR2.

WRC8 has a better single player career mode.

WRC8 feels better on tarmac stages.

DR2 has better feel to ffb ( if you're usng a wheel ), although WRC8's is 'good enough'

DR2 looks prettier & runs better ( as long as you apply the 3rd party 'DirtFix' to stop the stuttering caused by usb device polling every 2 seconds that some people suffer from )

Associate
Thanks, both. I was a Richard Burns fan, and loved Dirt Rally. However, seeing how Codemasters have managed the DLC with 53 euro for the Super Deluxe Dirt Rally 2 and seeing the recent positive reviews of WRC 8, I'm tempted to try something different. I'm not super fast, but I have my wheel and pedals setup.

Soldato
The one major donwside to WRC8 is the fov adjustment for the ingame camera, as it is broken.

It basically changes the fov for the outside enviroment but not the car interior, which is kinda stupid.

This can make the cockpit view fairly useless, depending on your own personal preference. The dashcam works pretty well though as an alternative.

My fingers are still crossed that they patch this in a future update but I'm not holding my breath.

Soldato
Dirt rally 1 with a wheel and with the "Impact FFB mod" smashes dirt rally 2 out of the park and then some.

I've had many an argument with DG in the early days of DR2 about how bad the FFB is and I wrote a steam guide to improve the feeling. The game has had countless complaints. And I'm told that it hasn't improved by much at all. Remember DG drives to break records, not to be immersed by fighting FFB....

Plus all the money grabbing by Codemasters for selling 232 editions from basic to super to super duper super pooper is just plain wrong imo.

Just buy DR 1, a decent wheel and use the FFB mod stated above. Buy DR2 when the Devs can be arsed to fix DR2 rather than bringing ***** like F1 and Grid out.....

Caporegime
OP
dirt rally 1 is good. the tarmac isnt great but the cars are too light in dirt rally 1. still better than any other rally car game.
dirt rally 2 is better. more realistic handling. the ffb can come down to many things but in the gravel mud dirt rally 2.0 has it nailed. its realistic. you can with wheel set up right feel what you doing more in 2.0 on gravel than 1. ffb depending on what device you use will be different. i mainly use logitech wheels. thrustmaster wheels in dirt tend to have light ffb in dirt games in comparision to logitech ones.ffb is a made up thing. there is real rally drivers doing the feedback on handling who drive the cars in game. ffb as said is a made up thing so people will never be totally happy as each person is different or wants a different feel.

for tarmac the best experience in a car game that nails it is asetto corsa original. so thats what some of us are trying to get over. if dirt next game can get that kinda tarmac handling it smashes everything rally wise.

Associate
Dirt rally 1 with a wheel and with the "Impact FFB mod" smashes dirt rally 2 out of the park and then some.

Just buy DR 1, a decent wheel and use the FFB mod stated above. Buy DR2 when the Devs can be arsed to fix DR2 rather than bringing ***** like F1 and Grid out.....

Dirt 1 was already installed, so I put the Impact FFB mod on last night. Thanks for the tip, and it feels good, so now I need to go back to try the old FFB settings to see the difference. I'll let you know.

Back
Top Bottom