• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Permabanned

Not a good impression,
The casing design looks a lot like the Nvidia reference casing & like with that cooler it looks too boxed in to allow easy air movement through the heatsink.
It's a shame as just when you think the card designers are catching on about how to maximise the performance of their coolers they move on to try different designs forgetting what works. The Fury Tri-x was a good example as it was the Fiji Pro reference design, One third of the heatsink was open ended allowing a lot of airflow through the heatsink from fan 3, ASUS designed their own version of the Fiji pro with a 3 fan cooler and full length custom pcb which the Tri-x outperformed being both cooler & quieter thanks to it's shorter pcb, They should have all learned a lesson there, This XFX cooler looks nice but copying the Nvidia reference wasn't a smart idea, It would have been if AMD had done it for their reference version but not for a non reference model imo. The Navi Nitro & Red Devil both have a slightly shorter pcb with a slight open end on the cooler but I don't see why they had to criss cross it with thick metal frame work, If I could afford to ignore the warranty I'd be tempted to get my Dremel out and cut it away to see if it has an effect on the temps etc. Unfortunately it's only half a fan worth of unrestricted heatsink but at least Sapphire & Powercolor appear to recognise the advantage having a pcb that's shorter than the heatsink brings to the table.

Man of Honour
Something has been off with Gamers Nexus for a while now.

He seems quite biased and unprofessional in the review.

Some of what he said does not even make sense, even more so because it was stuff he did not test but just made claims about.

For example he pointed out that the card ran quite hot and was no good for some cases despite the fact that it had lower temps than the reference card, this claim was made without actually testing in a suitable case. Also is he implying that the reference card is no good for those cases as well.

Quite a poor review and I did not like the way he was throwing the parts around regardless of whether he paid for the card or not.

The bios problems he talked about will get fixed and I am sure there will be an update soon.

For me if I wanted an 5700XT I would be very tempted to go for the XFX card as looks are important to some people in a 24/7 PC.

Caporegime
He seems quite biased and unprofessional in the review.

Some of what he said does not even make sense, even more so because it was stuff he did not test but just made claims about.

For example he pointed out that the card ran quite hot and was no good for some cases despite the fact that it had lower temps than the reference card, this claim was made without actually testing in a suitable case. Also is he implying that the reference card is no good for those cases as well.

Quite a poor review and I did not like the way he was throwing the parts around regardless of whether he paid for the card or not.

The bios problems he talked about will get fixed and I am sure there will be an update soon.

For me if I wanted an 5700XT I would be very tempted to go for the XFX card as looks are important to some people in a 24/7 PC.

I lost faith in him at the point of his Threadripper review, summed up it was him snarling and sniggering old tropes "You don't need this many cores" the 1950X was at the time a CPU that pushed HEDT performance up way past anything that had gone before it and rather than recognising that fact it was pretty obvious from his behaviour and attitude he hated its existence.

In his Ryzen 3000 review he also looked pretty displeased that it beat all of Intel's CPU's in inefficient Adobe software, something he was convinced would never happen.

Soldato
Wow! A few negative reviews for AMD products & out come the pitchforks. :rolleyes:
To be fair he did defend nvidia's NDA 2.0 and got a "lawyer" who completely contradicted him. The lawyer claimed that the NDA was nebulous among other concerns while Steve touted nothing was wrong with it more or less.
That is when I stopped watching him.

I'm sure with a bios update the card will do a whole lot better. But it wouldn't be a card I would want. I prefer 3 Fan design as they tend to be more quieter.
--------------------------------------
In any case I noticed some pros and cons between Nitro and the Tiachi

Nitro+
  • HSF combo is the best 3 axle fan cooler for the 5700 xt series
  • Does perform on par with the Tiachi but appears to have more GPU fluctuation then the Tiachi at the highest clock rates do to 8-1 (Nitro) vs 10-1 (Tiachi) phase power. Keep in mind the OEM blower style 5700 XT uses a 7 phase power design (from what I've learned).
  • Has lower power consumption then the Tiachi and is cooler then the Tiachi
  • Trix boost with RIS really does bring the Nitro+ close to a 2080S in performance with very little IQ loss. The caveat is that most Radeon cards (from Vega on) should be able to use Sapphire Trixx's, Trixx Boost.

Tiachi
  • Has a decent HSF combo but takes a higher RPM to cool similarly to what the Nitro offers. It only better then the Red Devil at a faster RPM on the fans. Keep in mind this HSF combo has more heat to contend with then the RD.
  • The most expensive 5700 XT on the market right now.
  • Offers clock rate on par with the Nitro but can sustain higher clocks then the Nitro (if better cooling is applied. IMHO should bet the Nitro).
  • Has better voltage regulation which could lead to even higher manual clock rates (if a waterblock is ever made for it).
  • Appears to offer the best undervolt performance (with memory OC). Which bring it in line with the Nitro+ with a slight 1-3 variance in FPS.
  • Can OC the memory to 930Mhz while undervolting.

Here are some links:
Nitro: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33045563
Tiachi: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33045445

Last edited:
Permabanned
Something has been off with Gamers Nexus for a while now.

techpowerup are not better, crap from them after crap. Look at how they make "reviews": https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-radeon-rx-5700-xt-taichi-oc-plus/5.html

Software: Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Version 1809 (October 2018 Update)
Drivers: All RX 5700 Series: Radeon 19.7.5 Beta
All other AMD: Radeon 19.5.1 Beta
RTX 2060S & 2070S: 431.16 Press Driver
RTX 2080 Super: 431.56 Press Driver
All other NVIDIA: 430.64 WHQL

Very unprofessional, meh :o

Soldato
techpowerup are not better, crap from them after crap. Look at how they make "reviews": https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-radeon-rx-5700-xt-taichi-oc-plus/5.html

Software: Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Version 1809 (October 2018 Update)
Drivers: All RX 5700 Series: Radeon 19.7.5 Beta
All other AMD: Radeon 19.5.1 Beta
RTX 2060S & 2070S: 431.16 Press Driver
RTX 2080 Super: 431.56 Press Driver
All other NVIDIA: 430.64 WHQL

Very unprofessional, meh :o
OH CRAP! That's from today's review. I completely missed that!
This invalidates the performance aspect of their reviews!!! :mad:

Permabanned
OH CRAP! That's from today's review. I completely missed that!
This invalidates the performance aspect of their reviews!!! :mad:

Sadly. These 2-month old Beta drivers leave significant amounts of performance, and since then AMD has released the 19.9.2 WHQL.

nvidia's cards are tested with some special "press release" driver, while AMD's cards with the oldest Beta :confused:

Screams nvidia bias and large cash payments incomes towards the wizzard...

Soldato
GN definitely has issues. The 590 fatboy review tipped me off totally last year as he slammed it for some inane nitpicks even though I had hands on experience with it and it was flawless. But tbh I don't trust reviews for anything anymore, I look at them as rough guides and test for myself if I can. At least for the stuff I care about.

Back
Top Bottom