Munchetty breached BBC guidelines by describing Donald Trump as a racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Are people still really debating whether Trump is racist or not? Despite the numerous racist comments he's made on a somewhat regular basis? Are people still wondering if he's sexist as well?

Soldato
A number of aged white men at the BBC have criticised Naga Munchetty for entirely reasonably describing the POTUS as a racist after receiving a single complaint by some anonymous "person". (BBC Online).
Please tell me what them being aged and white has to do with their decision?

Soldato
Are people still really debating whether Trump is racist or not? Despite the numerous racist comments he's made on a somewhat regular basis? Are people still wondering if he's sexist as well?

I’m not disputing whether he is a racist or not as I don’t know but I do believe it’s possible for people to make comments that seem racist in tone and not be an actual racist

Soldato
Usual stockhausen junk............ The facts are a complaint against Munchetty was upheld because as a BBC news journalist she is not supposed to offer opinion just report the facts, she even admitted this before she stated her opinion, as much of the fault lies with Dan Walker who goaded her into giving said opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly with her stated opinion but the fact of the matter is in her role she can not air it publicly.

Soldato
I believe that Trump said of US Congresswomen “Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came.”.

Now on its own, that might be an expression of concern for the results of his policies on various US States. However, along with other observations he has made over the years which you might care to Google before leaping to his defence, he has previously expressed racist comments about his predecessor so I think that it is safe to say that Agent Orange is a racist bigot.

However, if you choose wrongly to believe that he isn't, that is of course your prerogative :)

I think it was clear in my first few words that I am not judging him either way nor am I defending him

Soldato
It's a storm in a teacup. I very much doubt they'd drop Naga because of this (Hope not anyway, I enjoy her) and it's probably just so they are being seen as remaining impartial so they had to do something.

Now whether or not this was a subject BBC needed to stay impartial on, i don't know, but they have rules they have to follow

Soldato
Usual stockhausen junk............ The facts are a complaint against Munchetty was upheld because as a BBC news journalist she is not supposed to offer opinion just report the facts, she even admitted this before she stated her opinion, as much of the fault lies with Dan Walker who goaded her into giving said opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly with her stated opinion but the fact of the matter is in her role she can not air it publicly.
This is all correct, however it isn't the end of the debate.

If the rules are such that what she said isn't allowed, then are the rules fit for purpose? Who sets those rules, and who interprets those rules? Because they've got it wrong on this occasion - whatever pathway lead to the decision, action should be taken to make sure adjustments are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom