Oculus Rift CV1 replacement cables no longer available

Soldato
Plus, l believe there are two main types of user. One who " prances around like a pratt" as someone recently described it, and those occasional or sim users. The prancers will trash the substandard cables within the warranty period, whereas the occasional user's cables will last a lot longer. We are now just hitting that point where the occasional user is getting problems beyond the warranty period. Now there is a need for an alternative supplier.

Soldato
Also wouldn't the connection at the HMD be a proprietary connector that Oculus owns the rights for?

Possibly, It's not something I even thought about. If some company did decide to make the cables, do you think that Oculus would deny them the use of the connector?

Soldato
Plus, l believe there are two main types of user. One who " prances around like a pratt" as someone recently described it, and those occasional or sim users. The prancers will trash the substandard cables within the warranty period, whereas the occasional user's cables will last a lot longer. We are now just hitting that point where the occasional user is getting problems beyond the warranty period. Now there is a need for an alternative supplier.

I don't think that's true. I am a "prances around like a Pratt" user and had my Oculus Rift for 3 years and the cable was perfect when I sold it. Just like any other product, it will have failure rates. The cables aren't just going to all start failing a couple months out of warranty. I bet for majority of users the cables will be fine.

Soldato
I don't think that's true. I am a "prances around like a Pratt" user and had my Oculus Rift for 3 years and the cable was perfect when I sold it. Just like any other product, it will have failure rates. The cables aren't just going to all start failing a couple months out of warranty. I bet for majority of users the cables will be fine.

My cable, touch wood, is still working perfectly and it's out of warranty. There are images on the web that show failed cables that are twisted like a twisty, turny thing. Perhaps it's more to do with the mode of prancing. Some may prance round in circles in one direction only and others may be bi-directional prancers. I don't recall seeing anything about this during setup though. :D

Soldato
It's not the prancing in my experience - although getting frequently twisted up could do it.
Mine failed after just over a year more due to me playing a lot of seated stuff like bigscreen on the couch due to where the PC is and where I'm sitting. Just gotta be careful with not letting the cable repeatedly bend too much at the clamp bit.

Soldato
My cable, touch wood, is still working perfectly and it's out of warranty. There are images on the web that show failed cables that are twisted like a twisty, turny thing. Perhaps it's more to do with the mode of prancing. Some may prance round in circles in one direction only and others may be bi-directional prancers. I don't recall seeing anything about this during setup though. :D

bi-directional prancers :D:D I didn't think a phrase like that would ever come up in normal conversation :p

Soldato
So is it time to get a new TP- cast wireless adaptor for £150, upgrade headset, or hope the current cable lasts with care?
Bearing in mind I only play a couple of sims, and it currently does everything I need.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Another issue is those with gaming laptops that don't support Displayport. Rift S won't work on those, and neither does Valve Index.

Quest plus USB-C Link is what I'm going to do with VR on my laptop.

My CV1 is getting sold this week.

Back
Top Bottom