Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
you dont need to wait i cancelled and it stopped on the friday and i rejoined in my mothers name over the weekend and had the new hub that week so at most i think ihad no internet for under a week

Good to know. Did you have and keep or move a telephone number on your package? I don't use my landline a lot, but it would be helpful to not have to update it in 437 different places...

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Got a free upgrade to 200mb internet (from 100) for being a "loyal customer" but its only for 1 year before I need to pay the usual price for 200mb.

Suspicious timing when I called up a few weeks ago and threatened to leave them as I complained it was far too expensive for what they :D

Associate
Frustrating to know the SH4 doesn't currently support DOCSIS 3.0 and so will literally only be useful to those upgrading to the 1Gbps service when I rolls out as this is DOCSIS 3.1 which the router is configured for :(

Associate
Got my 100bb only down to £24/month.

Asked me to ring back in 6/12 when my current discount codes end and I might be able to get it down to £21 (would have to sign up to new contract which I don't mind)

Soldato
Seems VM have updated their site since last time I used it, I couldn't find an option to live chat anywhere now.

Called them up and went through 4 different people before getting my issue resolved, no longer moving property and getting the new services cancelled and my current ones no longer cut off took over 30 minutes to sort.

Soldato
My bills going up £3.50 in October :(

I wouldn't be upset about getting a letter quoting a price rise, honestly it's a good thing as should you still be under contract you're legally entitled to cancel it.

Call them up and tell them you want to cancel, they'll offer you a better deal (which will probably still be crap) but push through to cancel regardless. You have to give them 30 days notice for a cancellation, and the retention's team will get back to you within a couple of weeks with a much better deal.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

can someone let me know the differences between the superhub 3 and 4? I see a lot of people complaining that the 4 is really bad, but in all honesty when i upgraded from SH1 to SH3 I noticed a HUGE difference

Permabanned
Unless you are in Southampton and paying to get the new 1Gb/s Tier you will not get a HUB4.

I think you are confusing the names:

1) SuperHub

2) SuperHub 2

3) SuperHub 2ac

4) HUB 3

5) HUB4 < new as I posted above.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Unless you are in Southampton and paying to get the new 1Gb/s Tier you will not get a HUB4.

I think you are confusing the names:

1) SuperHub

2) SuperHub 2

3) SuperHub 2ac

4) HUB 3

5) HUB4 < new as I posted above.

So hub4 is just for 1gb users?

Not sure how it works but ive upgraded routers before without having to upgrade the service

Permabanned
I was suppose to trial the HUB4 long ago but it got put back then staff got to trial it instead (so I was told).

I do not doubt eventually customer will all get one on higher Tiers like with the HUB3 initially but for now its only for that service I mentioned above.

It would cost too much to give to everyone and most customers will not need it on the 500Mb/s or lower Tiers.

I have no idea how the 1Gb/s Lan ports can do real world speed of 1Gb/s more so with VM's 10% addition contention (due to OfCom) so 1.1Gb/s and I have no clue if its WIFI6 AX/160mhz but I doubt it knowing VM.

Soldato
Wonder how much of a problem lower end motherboards will cause on 1Gbps not maxing out the network socket.

??? You need some coffee or would you like to offer some context?

1Gb is the negotiated rate on the physical link, you can have a £20 socket 775 board or a £600 board, they all negotiate the same. Real throughput won't ever reach that, often topping out between 900 & 950Mb.

Soldato
I think he meant cheapo motherboard with 10/100 cards and folks getting gigabit connections and complaining they never see more than 50Mbps download. I regularly get customers who complain that their iPhone is only connecting at xxxxMbps and I have to explain that the iPhone won’t ever connect faster than that because that’s the maximum speed of the the WiFi card that Apple fitted that particular phone with.

Soldato
Exactly what WJA96 said.

People are still using Sandybridge boards that only have 10/100 ( like the H61M-VS for example and cheap HP computers ) and there has been a flood of unbranded Chinese boards with odd chipsets on Amazon and Ebay that only have an old 10/100 m RTL8105E.

Soldato
Exactly what WJA96 said.

People are still using Sandybridge boards that only have 10/100 ( like the H61M-VS for example and cheap HP computers ) and there has been a flood of unbranded Chinese boards with odd chipsets on Amazon and Ebay that only have an old 10/100 m RTL8105E.

Why would that be a problem? All ports on the hubs are 10/100/1000. The hub will just negotiate 100M with those clients.

***Just read the full post from WJA, so idiots will always be idiots. That'll be for VM support to weed out.

Back
Top Bottom