I need mouse advice.

Associate
I need a bit of advice on choosing a new mouse please.
OK so I've just this week upgraded my old all purpose Phenom 11/GTX 1060 based computer to what is listed below in my sig and it's a nice rig and have run the new PSU constantly for 4 days without switch off to test it out hooked up to my old mobo etc and it's fine so will be replacing the old psu with the new one but now I need a decent gaming/general purpose mouse that I can use every day and also use for a bit of gaming too.

I am oldie but started doing a bit of gaming last year ( World of Tanks, Fortnite, CS:GO and the likes) and managed OK with just a regular HP wireless mouse and a controller and Microsoft Wireless keyboard. I've since swapped out the old keyboard for a Hyper X corded kbrd but clearly I need something a bit more adventurous with regard to a new mouse though I'm not an avid gamer so I want something practical as well as suitable for a bit of gaming. I don't need one with a huge number of programmable buttons as I've enough trouble with a regular mouse so a basic gaming model with a few extra prog-buttons will probably more than suffice.

Also I get the idea of DPI etc with regard to cursor movement/response and note that models vary with regard to DPI...the question is what is the minimum and max DPI capability I should be looking for with regard to a mouse used for gaming?

So any suggestions for a decent probably entry level gaming/general purpose mouse

Associate
OP
Most good players stick to 400 - 800dpi. Everything else is marketing fluff.

Thanks for the heads up which has pointed me in the right direction.
I'm not a good player by any means but it would explain why I managed OK with just a basic mouse in the games which were controlled by a mouse!

I've just done a bit of quick research and I need to be looking for one that allows DPI rates of as low as 400. The cheaper ones seem to only go down to 800 or 1000 DPI so something mid-priced would probably be ok.

s k

s k

Associate
I need a bit of advice on choosing a new mouse please.

So any suggestions for a decent probably entry level gaming/general purpose mouse

My typical recomendation is the glorious odin as it's affordable and ticks a lot of boxes, and you can pick between two sizes based on your hand size.
Most logitech G mice (gpro/wireless, g403, g305) are good picks (g502 is a bit heavy but may suit you)
This list is a decent start point however I think its atleast 6 months out of date http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/top-40/

s k

s k

Associate
yep I stand corrected .. well sort of .. they have a lower dpi but up the ingame sensitivity ..
had my lad talk to a few of his m8's .. dota 2 commandos :p

cs:go pros tend to be at around 800 edpi (dpi x ingame sens) which is about 50cm mouse travel for 360degree turn

Associate
OP
Thanks for the comments and information guys, they've been helpful.
To be honest in the past I've never paid too much attention to computer mice, as to me they were simply pointing/clicking devices but that is clearly an underestimate of their function when used in gaming.
I've done a bit of research since starting this thread and I've narrowed it down to a small number of mice models that I now think should best meet my requirements and budget given the kind of gaming I intend to pursue but my biggest problem is that I live out in the sticks and there aren't any decent computer gaming shops for 30 miles that I'm aware of, therefore there is no opportunity to handle different models so it's a case of buy via the net which is great for computer parts but not so when buying a more personal device like a gaming mouse. I figure any mouse I buy will carry the risk of it not suiting me in one way or another, particularly the tactile feel of it irrespective of how much it cost or how many functions it has.

Anyway I've now also got much a better understanding of the what the specs mean and how they will affect my play so I can now pay my money and make my choice.:D.

Soldato
The sensor is the most important thing, read into that (as in look up reviews) for whatever model you're looking at.

Beyond that you need to look as to screen size and desired DPI. For 1080p you're going to run between 600-1600 (I'm exaggerating the upper end a little). There are good guides out there worth checking out, but as I stated earlier the most important thing is the sensor in the mouse. Massive DPI is usually just marketing nonsense that tells little of quality or accuracy. The sensor in the mouse can make a lions difference.

Associate
OP
The sensor is the most important thing, read into that (as in look up reviews) for whatever model you're looking at.

Beyond that you need to look as to screen size and desired DPI. For 1080p you're going to run between 600-1600 (I'm exaggerating the upper end a little). There are good guides out there worth checking out, but as I stated earlier the most important thing is the sensor in the mouse. Massive DPI is usually just marketing nonsense that tells little of quality or accuracy. The sensor in the mouse can make a lions difference.

Thanks for your reply which reinforces what I've managed to gather from the research I've done so far. I'd presume that the more expensive the mouse the better the sensor, is that correct?

I'll look into that for sure as it's pointless putting together a decent computer rig capable of a bit of gaming only to be let down by the mouse sensor. I suppose in that case the first thing I need to find out is which are the better sensors and then work from there.

Soldato
I'd presume that the more expensive the mouse the better the sensor, is that correct?

Not necessarily, although logic would dictate that more money means a better product.

This is why I said you should research heavily, I've been in your situation. I've come across cheaper mice with the best possible sensor, while looking at extremely expensive mice with poor sensors. I would not recommend using price as a raw identifier, it is an indicator at best.

Edit: https://on-winning.com/flawless-sensor-mouse-list-perfect/

There's a thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sensors are important but most 'gaming' mice use the same couple of sensors that are a much of muchness.

Shape is the most important aspect after that. And it's very hard to know what is right without testing. I am fortunate that I pretty much struck gold with the Zowie FK1 as it is pretty much perfect for me but Zowie are touted as masters of shape.

Associate
OP
Sometimes circumstances step in and take over.:(
I was working during the early hours of this morning trying to get my software reinstalled and downloaded onto a fresh clean SSD for my regular games etc and I thought my mouse was running out of battery power by the way it was behaving but it transpired it was on its last legs and almost stopped working. I really needed a mouse this morning for the many hundreds of files I have to move from different drives which is almost impossble without a working mouse and didn't have time to go out to source a new one but couldn't afford to wait a 2 or 3 of days to get one delivered so I ended up at 3.30am this morning ordering a simple HyperX Pulsefire Core mouse (which is the same make as my kbrd) from Argos for the princely sum of £29.99 and it was delivered by 9.55am this morning ready for me to start working at 10.00am and it seems quite ok, especially for the price.
I wouldn't have probably chosen that particular one but it was available for immediate delivery so beggars can't be choosers as they say and it's got me out of a hole and to be fair even if it turns out not to be suitable for my requirements it will do fine as a mouse for my spare/backup computer which obviously I will need in any case so it's not money wasted.

I've tried a couple of rounds of WOT with it and it seemed responsive enough once I'd got the correct DPI setting and it feels and sits good in my hand which is a bonus so it will give me a bit of breathing space and time to explore my needs further before selecting and ordering a more up-market mouse. I'll download the HyperX software to edit its functionality further including setting up macros once I have time but for now it's working ok which is all I need right now.

Associate
OP
try and use 800 dpi, otherwise you just cant get your sens low enough on some games

Thanks for the reply. I've been using for a week now the HyperX mouse I had to buy as a stop gap because of circumstances and I've only had time to play World of Tanks as I've been downloading the other games as a fresh install and the best DPI I find for WOT seems to be between 1600 and 2400 though I'm sure those settings would change with other games.
The mouse itself is actually OK especially for the money I paid and I found it was very responsive and easy to get used to though perhaps a little small in my hands even though I wouldn't say I've got more than average sized hands. It will certainly do for now or at least until I have time to try out a few more mice and choose the best for me and my needs and it will be used on my spare computer so I'm happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom