Gaming and video encoding pc (around £1000 or so)

Associate
Back in February, before ryzen 3 came out, i started this thread: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/gaming-video-encoding-build-currently-around-1k.18845344

Ryzen 3 is now out and i'm looking to see what good value build i can put together. Requirements are pretty much the same as before:

- gaming at 1080p, (everything from path of exile to division 2, sekiro, borderlands 3, assassin's creed and so on, so a wide variety, some more demanding than others)
- video encoding (264/265 codecs) which is cpu based
- machine will likely be on for long periods of time, either gaming or encoding.

I've had another look on overclockers (haven't really looked around since February) and early basked is:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,037.09 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

- don't think i need a monitor at this time
- windows 10 i'll get a key so i should be ok there
- i'm looking to add a modest overclock to the pc
- why 32gb of ram? Ram hasn't really been an issue for me but new games are asking for more ram. 16gb seems the minimum recommended at the moment and i'd like to future proof a bit. £60 to double the ram doesn't seem excessive.

Case, the case i DO need advice on - i currently have an antec 1200 (full sized case) in my old build.

- I'm not mad about rgb, so would prefer a case that looks more 'anonymous'.
- I'm not that bothered about fan noise from the case (antec 1200 has quite a few fans and isn't exactly a silent case) but i don't want a really loud case (noise wise) either.
- Case needs to have good airflow. From experience, my current pc (i7 920), when encoding (cpu can operate at 100% during encoding) can, in summer temperatures run at around 80 degrees.
- Case needs to be pretty easy to clean and remove dust from (quite a few screws need to be removed to take out the antec 1200 fan filters for cleaning so i'd prefer to avoid that).
- i have an antec hot swap caddy (installed in one of the drive bays on the front of my antec 1200 case) which lets me hot swap between different mechanical hard drives and i'd like to be able to use that in the new case)
- Case needs room for at least 2 mechanical hard drives (storage)
- If there is a mid tower case that does all of the above (has really good airflow and can accomodate a cpu running 'hot' for long periods of time, including during hot summer weather), that's fine.

Edit - added a case and some extra fans (2 front and 2 top)

As always, really appreciate the advice & thanks very much in advance for the help. Some of my basket choices will likely be wrong :p so, please correct them/improve on them if there are better choices.

Thanks ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Everything looks good. Motherboard needs a bios update to work with ryzen 3000 series but mobo looks like it has bios flashback so looks all good. The SSD is a basic SATA version. Spend a bit more for something like a NVMe WD blue SN500.

As for cases I'm thinking of the Corsair Carbide Air 540. Cause the PSU, HDD and 5.25 drive are placed in a seperate camber. And the main camber is unobstructed in terms of airflow. Yes it is an old case but is still probably the best airflow case with a 5.25 bay

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice about the motherboard and also the ssd - i wasn't aware of those things. Updated basket (different motherboad - reading threads some people have had issues with ryzen 3 on the msi carbon, better ssd and better gpu - also added some better cooling):

Total: £1,189.04 (includes shipping: £13.20)

power wise i switched from a 650 to a 750 because of the vega 56. Do i need that? or will the corsair 650 be enough for a modest cpu overlock, a few fans and 2 or 3 hard drives?

ps, about the Corsair Carbide Air 540 i watched a few reviews and i like the idea but it's a wide case which i don't have the room for on my desk. I'd prefer a taller case (even full tower) than a wider case.

one other question, about the motherboard. I've seen people recommend:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57x-gi.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-16u-ak.html

The pc will be on most of the time but is there any point paying extra for one of those if i'm only interested in a modest cpu overclock?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Last night my main pc died after almost 10 years - i7 920 and p6t motherboard (Typing this on a REALLY old backup). Think it's the motherboard that has given up. The fans come on for a split second when switching the pc on but that's all, nothing more. Didn't have any issues when using the pc but i've been having problems turning the pc on for the last month or so. Checked the power supply with a power supply tester and all the fans and the hard drives come on just fine, so it doesn't seem to be the psu. Seems to be the motherboard. There's probably not much point replacing the p6t. It may have been 10 years old and but that pc really lasted and still did most of what i needed, albeit more slowly than new pcs, so time for an upgrade. Still i'm really going to miss it :(

So, i've placed the order. As above, but decided to go for a gtx 1660 instead of the vega. I know, not as good a card, but should handle 1080p @60hz pretty well. Also, slightly different cooler (scythe) and slightly different fans (arctic cool p14). Yeah, the 750 psu is likely overkill but 650 was sold out and it gives me an option for other gpu's in the future.

I've never built a pc before. Will take a look at the tutorial vids and hope it goes smoothly, well as smoothly as possible :)

Last edited:
Soldato
at 1080p your slightly handy capped by Ryzen CPU, not much but turn up all the setting for in game graphics , or upscale to 1440p - GPU should be able to handle it fine

would have gone for Corsair NVMe if your going to go for nvme drive

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...d-state-drive-cssd-f480gbmp510-hd-064-cs.html

or

£60

Sabrent M.2 NVME PCIe Internal SSD (512GB, PCIe 3.0)

for £81 , could have been a better saving going with 650w version of the corsair 650w

Associate
OP
stuff has arrived, as here:

Total: £1,093.80 (includes shipping: £0.00)

except i went for slightly different fans (arctic cooler 140 pwm's)

Everything seems there but there is kind of an issue with the case. It's this: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/phanteks-enthoo-pro-m-reset-switch.18824676/ I've got the 'funny' case, and not funny as in 'ha ha'. It looks like the correct case but has the front wiring of the rgb special edition version. What does that mean? It means there is no reset switch cable - the cardboard case box clearly shows a reset button but there is no reset switch cable.

What does that mean? In practice, assuming it all works, i'll have to make do with a power button but no reset button (i've read that holding the power button for a few seconds will reset the system?). The reset button, on the other hand, will handle the rgb elements of the case, even though i don't have any :rolleyes: at least not with the stuff i've ordered.

So, if you're thinking of buying this case, and i do like it - seems well constructed and i need that 5" bay at the front for something (hd caddy), be aware that you may get the rgb wiring with the standard version. This is on phantek, not ocuk. Will likely contact phantek to ask them if there is some reset switch cable workaround, some cable that they can add.

Still, the case 'should' work ok and will start the build, go slowly, and will probably be asking for help :p Typing this from a VERY old backup pc.​

Back
Top Bottom