What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Spiderman: Far from Home 4/10

Really weak Marvel film I thought. The last third was ok, a bit like inception.....but the rest was just awful. In fact, I think most of the film was him trying to go out with MJ.
His mums fit though, so that gets an extra point.

Man of Honour
The Pledge - a seemingly obscure early 2000s Jack Nicholson film about a cop solving a last case into his retirement.

There wasn’t anything obviously bad about this film other than it just wasn’t a very satisfying conclusion. I didn’t find Jack’s acting very convincing either although perhaps that because his ‘decent’ seemed confined to two or three scenes. Not the payoff that the viewers deserved.

5/10

Associate
Ad Astra - 3/10

Very boring , drawn out and a movie that never really got going. Visually stunning in parts but wouldn't recommend it at all.

Avoid at all costs.

Soldato
Prometheus - 6/10

I've seen it four times previously and with each viewing I slowly start to gain an understanding of what in the heck is going on. I think I've finally cracked it. Not a bad film, just a little "messy."

Man of Honour
Stand by me (1986)

A film I'd have had little interest in when it came out, being 17 ish.

Quite enjoyed it, quite funny and so touching in parts. Decent performances from the young cast for the most part.

Certainly better than the adult actors in the 1989 Pet Sematary we also watched this week. Even Fred Gwynne couldn't save this pile of tosh.

Stand by me 6/10

Pet Sematary (1989) 2/10

( A point for each time the cat got killed)/

Last edited:
Associate
Ad Astra (2019) - 2/10

Slow, boring and dull with a nonsense plot that doesn’t really do or say anything.

The setting and atmosphere of near-future space is well portrayed, showing the slow, vast emptiness of solitude and how it affects people, but the random encounters are silly and seem to be there just so something can happen.

Good acting from Pitt as a person who doesn’t connect with others whilst seeking closure from an unknown father, but I just didn’t get it at all.

Caporegime
Ready or Not

Very enjoyable, fun movie. A little chase, hint of horror, thrills with some actual funny moments.

The lead Samantha Weaving is a lot better than I remember her being, the only movie I remember her in is The Babysitter. She has done a great job in this, really like her from start to finish.

p.s. I feel like this movie is released a month too early, it could have been a much bigger hit a month from now when its Halloween.

Associate
Ad astra 3/10 looked nice and the sound effects at the IMAX incredible but the story terrible.
kills three innocent people to go get his dad and faces no criminal charges when he returns wtf

On the way out I did turn to my wife and say I bet the critics loved this film turns out they do. So rare that we like anything the critics do

Associate
Tusk on Amazon Prime.
Rather odd but a bit disappointing in the end. A less gross out Human Centipede.
Interesting to finally workout who was playing the pee take french policeman.

6/10

Associate
IT: Chapter 2 (2019) - 7/10

Thematically it’s still a horror film, with fear-inducing topics, gore, shadowy beings, distorted realities and distressing scenarios straight out of twisted nightmares but practically, it’s an action adventure film with an over reliance on CGI monsters to provide the scares.

It’s still a good film with a good story and a good cast of characters who show development and the monsters do look truly grotesque, both in appearance and the way they move, but it’s never scary. The finale also drags on a bit too long but otherwise, it’s a solid film.

Soldato
Spiderman: Far From Home - 5/10 - Wow, so disappointed that this was the follow-up to Endgame. It felt very "meh" compared to the first new Spidey film, the life shattering events around "blip" were brushed over (here's a 1 min montage and a tiny Ironman shrine in Venice), the main MCU cast (Fury etc) were phoning it in at best whilst the Spidey cast did - OK-ish - although I did like Mysterio and his back story, but it just became the stock MCU CGI-fest and thats just boring now. I'd rather have a MCU film really develop the characters around the aftermath of the "Blip" with Peter loosing a father figure, the world readjusting via more than a quick "Aunt May speech" and dealing with that for most of the film instead of this very "light teen adventure" film which really failed to be as funny as MCU films were in the past.

It's well made, the CGI is very good and it's got the usual MCU polish which is why I still think it's a 5/10 but it felt like a teen-fiction film which did work for me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fatastic Four (2015) - 6/10

It was OK, albeit a little dull, right up until the end.

Seriously, one of the weakest endings to any film I've seen. Much buildup and then it's over in 2 seconds flat. Seriously low effort.

Back
Top Bottom