Rift S DisplayPort issue

Soldato
I have just upgraded from Rift to Rift S. Except I can't get the S to work at all.

When setting up, it is not detecting the DisplayPort connection.

Except, this is the weird an infuriating bit - it does recognise the DisplayPort connection when setting up, gives the green tick, but a few seconds later goes back to the rotatin icon meaning it's looking for that connection.

I've raised a tickety with oculus support, but says it could be 2 days for a reply. I have tried all the suggestions on this page:
https://support.oculus.com/392708781514665/?locale=en_GB&ref=oculus-pc-app

(And the plugging USB, then waiting and plugging DisplayPort is what gioves me the temporary connection.)

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar issue and has a solution? My motherboard is an Asus Z730-P, and USB ports are 3.1, so shouldn't be causing any issue.

The only other suggested solution I've found online is to remove all other USB devices. But then I would have no mouse or keyboard!

Soldato
OP
Just tried the removal of all other USB devices - still went green and then bnack to searching a few seconds later.

I hope I can get this working - I already sold my Rift!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for those tips. I have tried every USB port now, and re-plugged the headset end of the cable too, no luck.

Based on exactly what you say about fussy on USB port, I've ordered one of those Inatech USB hubs. Hopefully that'll do the trick. won't hurt to have some extra rear USB ports anyway!

I can't find any suggestions online of issues with the Z730 USB ports, but I've found some about other ASUS motherboards, so fingers crossed this is the problem.

Soldato
argh i remember someone disabling something in bios which solved the issue for someone but sadly i can't remember what it was.

Associate
I just got a rift S and it failed to work on my install, because i was running a windows N install (which is sans media player)
It also got worse because i was running dev versions and couldnt install the media software so i had to nuke it and start again.

Make sure your USB drivers are working and up to date FROM THE MANUFACTURER not microsoft.
Try and select usb 3 ports on your motherboard.
Ensure you video card is on the latest MANUFACTURER drive, ie nvidias or AMDs not Microsofts.

Stuff like that :p

Soldato
OP
I saw the disabling XMP idea on here too. Tried it, and didn't work for me.

I looked atr the available drivers for my motherboard, and can't see any obviuously related to USB.

Looking at USB drivers in device manager, The only one that has a non generic name is "Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host controller", which claims it has the latest drivers.

Video card drivers are bang up to date.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'try and select usb 3 ports on your motherboard" sorry.

Soldato
disabling XMP in the BIOS only works with some Z170 motherboards.

I don't think your problems are related to USB.

It might be a dodgy connection in the display port cable. Sometimes there is a loose connection where the cable goes into the headset. Take off the face pad and try pushing in the connector.

Soldato
OP
I've taken the connector out entirely at the headset end and reseated it, still no luck.

If the USB hub (which arrives tomorrow) doesn't fix the issue, then I guess I'll try taking it back for an exchange.

Soldato
OP
I've been in contact with Oculus support, but while they've tried to help they've only suggested the stuff from their website that I'd already read and done.

Associate
Make sure you have it plugged into the usb 3 ports on your MB. Some have usb 2 ports alongside usb 3 so ensure they are plugged into the proper ones.

Get the latest drivers for the board and intel INF as well just to make sure. Go to the manufacturers site for that and intel for the chipset ones.

Soldato
I've taken the connector out entirely at the headset end and reseated it, still no luck.

If the USB hub (which arrives tomorrow) doesn't fix the issue, then I guess I'll try taking it back for an exchange.

It doesn't sound like a USB issue to me. If your ports worked fine with the Rift, one of them should work with the Rift S. I wouldn't spend any money trying to fix this, just return it.

Associate
I dunno, i have seen it do some pretty weird things and i have only had one for a day or two.
I got mine fixed with a full windows rebuild and drive reinstall but i knew that was needed anyway.

Soldato
OP
Definitely plugged into a USB3 port (has been tried in 6 different ones!)

Board BIOS is up to date. None of the drivers here:
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-P/HelpDesk_Download/
Seem to make any reference to USB.

Maybe the chipset one would be worthwhile? But I followed your other advice and checked Intels pages for the chipset. Their driver & support assistant reports that the chipset software is up to date.

Is it not possible that the USB isn't supplying enough power to run the DisplayPort connection? Either way, the extra USB ports won't be a bad thing anyway, so no harm in trying the new hub. It'll come quicker than I can get a replacement headset anyway.

Associate
Always worth installing the latest .inf - never know.
I have an extension coming for my DP interface so i can move the working area out into my room a bit - will prob plug it into my powered usb hub then but currently its on the MB only and is working fine.

Back
Top Bottom