• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD announce EPYC

Man of Honour
No they can all see the storage those are the ones i think are meant to be passed to the VM, I showed those ones because they are the LUNs that I think are the issue (correction those are from the second switch that isn't zoned properly yet). The gateway server for catalyst exposes these and they should be available in the VM to use. They should show under device manager as processors as per this documentation https://www.veeam.com/wp-hpe-storeonce-catalyst-configuration-guide.html but are used for the VM to talk to the storage. The Hosts can see all my storage on one san over FC which exposes storage out of the 6500eva, but not on my StoreOnce over FC. Up until now it's just 4x1gb/s over lan but I was looking at swapping it over onto FC while I upgrade the servers.

So typically the view would be something like this minus the dead ones, I know why they are dead but I think I just need to re-zone the second switch:

So the correct ones that are available and lead back to the storeonce are these:

This is the details at the store once end:

This is at the host:

The question is, how do i make that scsi processor work with the VM and talk back to the storage so I can set up the store once in veeam. It should present like this:

I can only assume that there are some documentation omitted or that I just can't see. Or do I add the hardware somehow into the VM or need a new Virtual switch or something. I'm stumped.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
To be honest I've never done that sort of setup. I'm assuming all drivers are installed, updated etc and VMware Tools is up to date? What's the VM hardware version and is there a minimum for the Veeam box?

If you have support with Veeam I would log a call, they're usually excellent.

Man of Honour
To be honest I've never done that sort of setup. I'm assuming all drivers are installed, updated etc and VMware Tools is up to date? What's the VM hardware version and is there a minimum for the Veeam box?

If you have support with Veeam I would log a call, they're usually excellent.

Yea me either the setup is confusing and bizzare, not something I have ever seen or come across before. I have a case open with Veeam and they are also stumped. I'll give them a call later this morning and at least show them that I have made some progress.

FWIW all drivers are installed, VM Tools is up to date and the machine hardware version is v15 so 6.7 update 2 compatability. I'll see what veeam have to say as clearly the documentation is not doing it for me. Cheers for taking a look and confirming I'm not a total numpty.

Man of Honour
I've just had a very quick scan of the Veeam documentation, I can't seem to see the VM configuration side of things? Are you meant to pass the Storeonce through to the VM as an RDM at all?

Man of Honour
I've just had a very quick scan of the Veeam documentation, I can't seem to see the VM configuration side of things? Are you meant to pass the Storeonce through to the VM as an RDM at all?

You are and that is where it all falls down. I click RDM and then it says there is no LUN because you need the processors to see the LUN (or am I getting confused and talking rubbish - That is possible). I'm going to go with something is missing from that documentation but I have no idea what. Ill update when Veeam hook me up.

Man of Honour
That's weird. I'm WFH next week, I'm happy to remote in and have a look if you want, just drop me a trust/PM.

Lets do it :) ill send you a message with my mobile number over the weekend. I know im probably missing something simple. I do have vmware support so it's legit as well.

Man of Honour
Lets do it :) ill send you a message with my mobile number over the weekend. I know im probably missing something simple. I do have vmware support so it's legit as well.
Happy to help mate, I can't guarantee anything (or offer any warranty etc) but I'll do my worst. :p

Man of Honour
Happy to help mate, I can't guarantee anything (or offer any warranty etc) but I'll do my worst. :p

None required. I tend to kill myself for a few days anyway trying to gain a deeper understanding before reaching out to vendors. I think I have some basic understanding up unto a point on this one now at least.

Man of Honour
Just as a little update... Final pricing on my servers was 12k each including VAT. Not the initial pricing I put up earlier on in the thread. :)

Man of Honour
That's not bad at all for the horsepower. Have you resolved your Veeam issue?

Just had a little look and bought 9x 2tb nvme drives to supplement the SAN with some much faster local storage. 3x nvme per server, I thought it would be interesting to gauge performance back to the SAN vs NVME for I/O heavy servers. How much improvement is possible? Should be interesting to find out with database servers or exchange. :)

Around lunch I am hitting Veeam hard, I will find out what the issue is.

Back
Top Bottom