• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9700k assistance please...

Associate
Hey guys,

Specs first...

CPU - Intel i7 9700K
Motherboard - ASUS PRIME Z390 - A
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance
Cooler - Corsair 240mm water cooler
PSU - Corsair TX750M

So I game and stream (who doesn't these days) from the one PC. The main game I play is Ghost Recon Wildlands and the recent Ghost Recon Breakpoint, when playing my CPU usage is up at 80% or even higher. Which leaves the streaming software (OBS) with little CPU to use and causes dropped fps in the stream. Game fps isn't affected.

CPU usage image at the bottom.

My friend has a 8700k and is at 40-45% CPU usage and we have almost exactly the same rig. Is this a 9700k thing or am I missing something?

The CPU runs at that same high percentage with everything else closed and just the game open. Even with games like PUBG the CPU usage is really high, around the 70% mark.

The temps are fine, no more than 50-55.

Surely something else must be wrong for an 8700k to be only used half as much as a 9700k? I know it has 12 threads to my 8 but surely that doesn't affect double the CPU usage?

He says more games are optimised for an 8700k rather than the 9700k?

Can anyone shed any light on this at all?

Thanks guys,

Andy.

unknown.png

Associate
For starters you should overclock it, with 240m AIO you should be able to hit 5 - 5.1 - 5.2, depending on your CPU quality. You are not doing yourself any favours by running it at 4600.

Associate
There are a few things you can check.
Is there any software lurking in the back ground that is taking up CPU cycles. If there is remove it. Makes sure you are on the latest bios and intel chipset drivers. There have been reports that Microsoft have released updates which cause cpu problems make sure you are on the latest.
Do that and see how you get on.

Associate
8700K is a more useful CPU than the 9700K imo. Those extra threads do make a difference.

I don't see anything surprising here. As stated above, overclock your CPU.

Associate
I'm more curious as to why your CPU is only hitting 4.6GHz in the first place. The boost of that CPU should be hitting 4.9GHz. I know from lots of posts on these forums that Asus Motherboards don't have the best VRM's but I am also running a Asus board and my 9700K hits 4.9GHz most of the time.

Soldato
I'm more curious as to why your CPU is only hitting 4.6GHz in the first place. The boost of that CPU should be hitting 4.9GHz. I know from lots of posts on these forums that Asus Motherboards don't have the best VRM's but I am also running a Asus board and my 9700K hits 4.9GHz most of the time.
This. Mine hit 4.9Ghz at stock and runs at 5.2Ghz nearly at stock voltage. You might want to check if you're on the latest bios etc.

TrM

TrM

Associate
I don’t see much wrong here. Ok your cpu could be boosting higher and a Overclock might help some.

but we have to rember that this is a Ubisoft game and performance across the board is really low between high cpu usage and low FPS for people the Ubisoft forums are full of 9700k being below par and high usage etc and from screenshot we can’t see if any cores are being fully used 100% which is causing your one to act like it is

Associate
Why not run the new nvenc setting? Place the encoding through your GPU and it will take a lot of work off your CPU
Tried it for my stream myself, didn't like it, had weird little "lag issues using it" went back to the original and back to normal no problems.. sometimes newer isn't better.

Associate
Hey guys,

Specs first...

CPU - Intel i7 9700K
Motherboard - ASUS PRIME Z390 - A
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance
Cooler - Corsair 240mm water cooler
PSU - Corsair TX750M

So I game and stream (who doesn't these days) from the one PC. The main game I play is Ghost Recon Wildlands and the recent Ghost Recon Breakpoint, when playing my CPU usage is up at 80% or even higher. Which leaves the streaming software (OBS) with little CPU to use and causes dropped fps in the stream. Game fps isn't affected.

CPU usage image at the bottom.

My friend has a 8700k and is at 40-45% CPU usage and we have almost exactly the same rig. Is this a 9700k thing or am I missing something?

The CPU runs at that same high percentage with everything else closed and just the game open. Even with games like PUBG the CPU usage is really high, around the 70% mark.

The temps are fine, no more than 50-55.

Surely something else must be wrong for an 8700k to be only used half as much as a 9700k? I know it has 12 threads to my 8 but surely that doesn't affect double the CPU usage?

He says more games are optimised for an 8700k rather than the 9700k?

Can anyone shed any light on this at all?

Thanks guys,

Andy.

unknown.png
Most people will want to get a better CPU if they were gaming and streaming at the same time. Mostly 9900k and 3900x are quoted. Along with a capture card like this one https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aver...mer-portable-2-plus-lgp-2-plus-cc-000-av.html

Last edited:
Associate
Tried it for my stream myself, didn't like it, had weird little "lag issues using it" went back to the original and back to normal no problems.. sometimes newer isn't better.

Weird. I stream PUBG and Apex through the GPU with no issues at all. When I try and stream these 2 games through my 8700k, it's like having sandpaper rubbed over my eyelids

Soldato
12 threads v 8, 9700k is a waste of money.
While in your opinion it might be a waste of money it is extremely naive to in effect state that 12 threads is better than 8.

If you check the Cinebench R20 score of both you will find them to be about the same (~3900) with the 9700K often slightly ahead. Though in reality when it comes to x264 transcoding/encoding the 9700K will be better because with the 8700K the encoder will sometimes select a thread that is not a real core and therefore performance will be lower. (especially true when not maxed 100% for the entire duration)

I know for my encodes that disabling HT will give me higher conversion rates.
The OP using OBS should be getting at least the same performance as the 8700K, so it appears there is something else going on with his system or that is game specific that is holding them back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom