Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Anyone here have a backup option for their reef tank? I know vortech do a battery backup but for the price of two of those i could get a proper generator

Am thinking of picking up a cheapish one, this seems to be a good pure sign wave generator? Should be able to handle a heater and a return and maybe even the lights. Would have to test it out.

Böhmer-AG Camo Petrol Inverter Generator W4500i, 1.9 KW, Ultra Low Noise - UK Plugs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079G5W55P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_b4JJDb26KECMV

Little bit more searching came across this.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-im800i-700w-inverter-generator-230v/15760

For the money id be happy to buy it and have it in my cupboard for that just incase time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone here have a backup option for their reef tank? I know vortech do a battery backup but for the price of two of those i could get a proper generator

Am thinking of picking up a cheapish one, this seems to be a good pure sign wave generator? Should be able to handle a heater and a return and maybe even the lights. Would have to test it out.

Böhmer-AG Camo Petrol Inverter Generator W4500i, 1.9 KW, Ultra Low Noise - UK Plugs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079G5W55P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_b4JJDb26KECMV

For the money id be happy to buy it and have it in my cupboard for that just incase time.

The ecotech battery on my return lasts half an hour, guess its the head pressure that kills it, need to move it to one of the mp40s just for the flow which I think is a better solution.

Soldato
The ecotech battery on my return lasts half an hour, guess its the head pressure that kills it, need to move it to one of the mp40s just for the flow which I think is a better solution.

Ive heard this. But its heaters and things i worry about and obviously they cant run from the ecotech packs anyway. A generator would hopefully be able to run the lot.

I think a heater and a return pump running would keep the tank alive. They can live without added flow

Soldato
So I went to that Spotless Water place today, pretty easy and cheap, £1.09 for 26l. Compared to the £4.50 I was paying at my LFS.

Boiled the wood in my tank, but it's still floating, so pinning it down with stones and the heater.

2lNJqf3.jpg

Was looking to add an invert/cleanup crew, but my ammonia is sky high, so obviously still cycling.
Going to keep at the 50% weekly water changes, but is it worth extending my 6 hour CO2/Lighting schedule? Tanks been running for nearly 2 weeks at this point.

Soldato
So I went to that Spotless Water place today, pretty easy and cheap, £1.09 for 26l. Compared to the £4.50 I was paying at my LFS.

Boiled the wood in my tank, but it's still floating, so pinning it down with stones and the heater.

2lNJqf3.jpg

Was looking to add an invert/cleanup crew, but my ammonia is sky high, so obviously still cycling.
Going to keep at the 50% weekly water changes, but is it worth extending my 6 hour CO2/Lighting schedule? Tanks been running for nearly 2 weeks at this point.

Are you buffering the water? Not using just pure ro??

Soldato
Are you buffering the water? Not using just pure ro??

Yeah, I'm using Seachem Equilibrium on my RO water.

At this moment I'm following this.
To raise mineral content/general hardness (GH) by 1 meq/L (3 dH), add 16 g (1 tablespoon) for every 80 L (20 gallons)

Doing about a 1/3 a teaspoon for a 25l container?
Should I be aiming to raise my GH higher?

Last edited:
Soldato

I have made my own DIY system.
Check online for the following

Ultramax NP20-12
HoneyCare 12V 1500mA Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) Smart Battery Charger

Then all you need is a lead from the 12v battery terminals terminated onto a 1.3mm DC plug (Size H)
Clip the charger onto the battery and leave it plugged in forever. It will trickle charge the battery and upon a power out the battery will takeover as is designed to.

This is only for my MP10 but you can hook up the ecotech battery booster to your 12v battery and it will convert it to 36v for a vectra

I would recommend adding a 5a fuse between the controller and battery which is on my to do list. The battery you can go as high as you wish with size in AH and running times will vary depending on what AH your battery is rated for.

My total cost was £60. Ecotechs own solution is 18ah compared to my 20ah and the price is less than a third! Adding a battery booster to power a vectra only makes it £90.

Soldato
I have made my own DIY system.
Check online for the following

Ultramax NP20-12
HoneyCare 12V 1500mA Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) Smart Battery Charger

Then all you need is a lead from the 12v battery terminals terminated onto a 1.3mm DC plug (Size H)
Clip the charger onto the battery and leave it plugged in forever. It will trickle charge the battery and upon a power out the battery will takeover as is designed to.

This is only for my MP10 but you can hook up the ecotech battery booster to your 12v battery and it will convert it to 36v for a vectra

I would recommend adding a 5a fuse between the controller and battery which is on my to do list. The battery you can go as high as you wish with size in AH and running times will vary depending on what AH your battery is rated for.

My total cost was £60. Ecotechs own solution is 18ah compared to my 20ah and the price is less than a third! Adding a battery booster to power a vectra only makes it £90.

Trouble is your only running one pump again. What about heaters etc? How long do you
Think your tank would survive without heat.

Normal tank temp is 26.5c and house is usually 20-21. Temp drops quickly!

Soldato
Trouble is your only running one pump again. What about heaters etc? How long do you
Think your tank would survive without heat.

Normal tank temp is 26.5c and house is usually 20-21. Temp drops quickly!

I only see it as a backup if i am at work and a short power cut is happening my reef isnt going without oxygen and dying. Long term iv got a generator in my garage and a generator hook up on outside of my house. (Im a sparky and i like being prepared for anything) In a long powercut id pull my main fuse and start my generator up in a heartbeat. I cannot remember my model but i specced enough to keep both tanks on, fridge on and basic electronics. No irons, hairdryers or power shower tho it wouldn't cope.

Back
Top Bottom