This cost seem OK for bike licence?

Soldato
Hi all I've decided I want to do my bike licence and have been quoted this. Does this seem like a good price? Will be using all their kit and bikes.
  • CBT & Mod 1 training £200
  • Mod 1 warm up then ride to test £115 + £15.50 test fee
  • Mod 2 training full day £245 covering difficult areas and most test routes.
  • Mod 2 warm up & test £70 + £75 test fee
Total £720.

Soldato
Do you mean not enough seat time to pass the test?
Yes. If you've not ridden before I just think that's a bit optimistic.

As an example I did 1 full day for the CBT, being instructed on the bike in a controlled environment with some others during the morning and then after lunch a bit more practice then going out on the roads for the required 2 hour ride. ( https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt/how-training-works )

I then had 2.5 days training on the 600 with the Mod 1 in the afternoon of the 3rd day which I messed up so added another 1 day to that.
Once I'd passed the Mod 1 I did something like 2.5 days of Mod 2 practice and test.

My training costs breakdown: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31540551

Training
CBT: £125
Theory: £23
Mod 1: £573.50 (Test is £15.50 x2 of that)
Mod 2: £467.50 (Test is £75 of that)
Total: £1189

Those cost totals were based on £155 per day using the supplied 600cc bikes (CBT was a flat £125 on a...125cc bike).

I'm sure people can do it in much less than I did, even if I'd passed my first mod 1 attempt, but do bear in mind if you've not ridden before it's not a simple thing to just hop on a bike and pass the tests with minimal training.

Soldato
OP
I did my CBT back when I was 16 (34 now) and had a 50cc moped for a year and I also had a few motorcross bikes in my teens so understand how to ride a manual bike but I've not ridden anything in about 15 years.

Will give another place a call tomorrow for a second quote.

Soldato
I recently did mine CBT aside I paid £599 for 3 days of training, then mod 1 and 2 on the 4th day. Luckily enough passed first time, and I was ready for the test but I'd not have been comfortable with any less training. Budget for a retest as well in case you fail. You'll likely have to pay for another day with the instructor/bike, which can soon add up. Be ready for having bad habits too if you've ridden before. Seemed to me that can be harder to deal with than someone coming at it completely fresh.

Soldato
Hi all I've decided I want to do my bike licence and have been quoted this. Does this seem like a good price? Will be using all their kit and bikes.
  • CBT & Mod 1 training £200
  • Mod 1 warm up then ride to test £115 + £15.50 test fee
  • Mod 2 training full day £245 covering difficult areas and most test routes.
  • Mod 2 warm up & test £70 + £75 test fee
Total £720.

Seems perfectly fine - right amount of training for never riding before, and costs on par with what they seem to be these days.

It's pretty similar to my DAS training when I was 26 - never ridden before:

Monday - CBT
Tuesday - full day 125cc on road training
Thursday - full day 600cc on road training
Friday - morning of 600cc polish, followed by a ride to the test

Though I didn't pass that, it was due to changing bike just before the test - and it felt completely different :( I re-booked my test and a day's training, and passed second time.

Soldato
When I passed, some years ago now I did 3 days, and as one comment above I wouldn't have felt comfortable with less, I did pass first time.

I had been riding a geared 125 for years and years, 3 CBTs I did in total.

It's a risk I guess to go for 2 days.

Soldato
OP
So bit of an update I've booked in at a different place for the following:

CBT £110
Conversion to larger bike £54
Mod 1 training £90
Mod one warm up and time for test £90
Test cost £15

Total from CBT to mod 1 complete £357 (includes 10% military discount)

Don't have time to do mod 2 this month I don't think but will be a good start.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all, CBT is in the morning and took your advice and picked up a nice helmet and gloves today. Just sat wearing the helmet watching TV trying to break it in a little bit as it's a little on the tight side but was advised by the shop that's better than a little too big. I think I'm in between a medium and a large.

Soldato
OP
Did my big bike conversion and mod 1 training today. For some reason I was going around a tight bend a little fast and thinking about the next manouver I had to do, pulled the front brake on to slow down. Let's just say it didn't go to well and I ended up on my ass. Main thing is I didn't scratch my helmet and I've learnt not to use the front brake mid corner. ☺️

Soldato
OP
Final update.

Passed my Mod 1 last week and Mod 2 today both with zero minors which I was chuffed with.

Judging my own ride today I felt I made a few mistakes but the guy doing the test seemed to disagree.

Now it's all complete I have to admit it was all not as hard as I expected. I thought it would be a lot more difficult than a car test for some reason due to what you could ride after but it was pretty similar.

Would recommend anyone who's considering it and has a bit of spare cash to give it a go.

Man of Honour
Congrats, I found my bike tests much easier than the car to be honest.
You've got a much better idea of where you are without a metal box making you massive and you don't need to learn to ride backwards :D

Back
Top Bottom