Not looking good for Andy Murray.

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46833018

I have watched AM playing tennis for most of his career and as a fan of UK Tennis have enjoyed every minute of it, so it will be very sad to see him forced to retire early if that's how it plays out.

I can only imagine how difficult the last 20 months or so must have been for AM, being in pain and trying to return to full strength and being competitive in such a demanding and challenging tennis era - it has certainly been difficult watching it unfold.

Man of Honour
Sadly I felt this has been coming ever since the hip injury flared up, it’s been clear that it was more serious and chronic than was perhaps being let known.

He can be a dour Scot (most of us can be!) but you have to admire what he’s done in the game, he’s certainly raised the profile of Tennis in Britain too.

Soldato
I was hoping he had a few more years left at the top but I guess it's not to be. :( That 2013 final was certainly one of the greatest moments in British sport that I've ever seen.

Soldato
I was just about to create a thread on this. Good job I decided to check first to see if anyone else had. :p

It's sad to see, but I can't say I'm surprised, as he has really struggled since he's had his hip problem.

I think it was the Wimbledon before last he was struggling. You could clearly see his movement wasn't right, but his camp kept playing it down saying there was nothing wrong and that he moves like that, or some other BS. It got to the point where it couldn't be denied any more and he was easily beaten, then they finally revealed he had a hip problem.

I wonder if trying to play on through it did more harm than good...

Someone suggested it takes time to recover from a hip injury. Maybe he should take a longer period off before deciding whether to retire.

Also, just been reading some of the comments from the trolls. I know such idiots exist and their stupid comments shouldn't **** me off, but it does.

Some people like to point out he has only won 3 grand slams, which seems pretty insignificant compared to Federer, Djokovic and Nadal; but that is a heck of an achievement considering the last man from these isles to win a grand slam was Fred Perry in the 1930s; but also do win those 3 in the same era as the aforementioned players; arguably three of the greatest male players to pick up a tennis racket.

2016 was a phenomenal year for Murray, winning Wimbledon, gold at the Olympics, a Masters 1000 title, end of year World Tour Final and finishing the year world number one. Only player to achieve those in one calendar year.

Anyone who thinks to make light of Murray's achievements, tell me; of the previous great male tennis players, how many of those also played in an era that included 2-3 other greats?

Soldato
It's a real shame and probably another 70+ years before we get another British champion. Still, I'm not sure why he's that upset. He's won Wimbledon twice and got an Olympic gold. Millions in the bank. He's only 31 and got all his life ahead of him to do tons of things. He'll probably end up a commentator or pundit at Wimbledon, like McEnroe and Henman.

Caporegime
Could never see how he was going to get passed the surgery and recovery. I gave him some stick for his happy-go-lucky nature but he should know he has a whole nation behind him. Any top tennis player would be proud of his achievements, let alone a British player and as others have said - to do what he did with arguably 3 of the best male players in the modern era.

A very well done Andy and sad to see you. At least he can spend more time with the family! Wonder if he will ever become a pundit :D.

Caporegime
He was never going to have the longevity of someone like Federer, due to the style of tennis he plays, so any injury that hampered his movement always had the potential to wreck his game and that appears to be what's happened. Very surprised Nadal's managed to continue on as long as he has considering his injuries.

2 x Gold Medals!
2 x Wimbledon
1 x US Open
8 x Finals
$60+ million
British Sporting Icon

Not bad tbh, not bad.

Caporegime
Hopefully when he’s done and dusted, I’d like him to throw his weight and maybe some of his time and money, into producing a worthy successor. We’ve enjoyed the taste of having a player in grand slams with an actual great chance of winning it. It would be horrible for it to be over for decades again.

Soldato
I'll never forget the 2013 final. The drama, the expectation, the sheer tension. Possibly the most memorable sporting moment of my lifetime. Everyone stopped and watched, and every single one of us celebrated as the hoodoo was lifted :)

Man of Honour
It's a real shame and probably another 70+ years before we get another British champion. Still, I'm not sure why he's that upset. He's won Wimbledon twice and got an Olympic gold. Millions in the bank. He's only 31 and got all his life ahead of him to do tons of things. He'll probably end up a commentator or pundit at Wimbledon, like McEnroe and Henman.

And won the US Open and the Davis Cup if you wanted to list a couple more achievements. However I think it's understandable he might feel upset despite his achievements, he's got every reason to feel proud of what he has achieved but at the moment it'll be very raw as this is the first time he's publicly acknowledged that he'll be retiring this season and it's not a choice he's making as much as one that has been forced on him. Retirement from injury is always a risk for a sportsperson but one they'll try to tell themselves won't happen to them so presumably it's an unpleasant shock to confront the end of your career in such a way.

What's probably been the most noticeable thing about the messages following the press conference is how well regarded he is by pretty much everyone and not just for his sporting achievements, which are amazing in their own right, but as a person. That says something about the man and his character. I hope that against the odds he does have a good Australian Open and that however improbably he manages to make it to Wimbledon for a semblance of retiring on his own terms but whether he does or doesn't it's been a privilege to watch him and his career. To have won multiple grand slam events in era with three players each with an arguable claim to be the greatest of all time shouldn't be underestimated, then again they probably also pushed him to greater heights than he might have managed without them. I'll be very interested to see what he does next and wish him well in retirement.

Soldato
Well, the ultimate accolade is to be bestowed upon him. I heard on the news that a statue of Andy Murray is going to be made and situated at Wimbledon. How amazing must that feel to him, especially as he'll be alive to see it. Also, following Fred PeRRY and Andy MuRRaY, I think the next British player that has two 'r's and 'y' in their surname will win Wimbledon. :D

Caporegime
Looks like he is out :(. Was never a huge fan of him, Fed has and always be my favourite player of all time.

But regardless he has achieved quite a bit especially as British tennis players aren’t generally regarded as that good.

But him winning his very first Wimbledon title was truly immense and moreso as it’s been such a long time since a British player has won it.

Sad to see him and his career wracked with injuries. I reckon he had a few more titles in him.

Soldato
OP
Good to see AM getting his first win back on the tour yesterday - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/49814809

Obviously not back to his best just yet but there was certainly more than a few glimpses of his quality.

I'm sure it felt great to get a win against a player he lost to about a month or so ago.

He's got a tough match against De Minaur next, so fingers crossed.

Good to see him back.

Associate
haha thought there'd been a new development but this threead is just really old, nice to see him with his 1st ATP winsince the operation, bloke is a legend

Back
Top Bottom