Shed build

So im doing a shed,a big shed,17 × 12. Concrete slab is done,4x2 floor is built,missus want to keep the holly tree so it has a horse shoe end to it. Going with a flat 'live' roof so earth and plants on top. Anyone done a build like this...anything i should think of. Going to run power obs...32 amp??....any ideas welcome

Soldato
Insulate and ventilate, sounds daft to have both but insulating it will make it more useful and ventilation will stop your tools from getting rusty if you don't look after them.

32Amp should be plenty for tool chargers lights and working tools.

Soldato
I've just done some work to ours to improve the interior but didn't go the hole hog with insulation, just a breathable membrane and a dpm, plus new floor. Went for shingles on the roof as better than the usual felt stuff I think as they seem like they'll last longer.

Associate
All floor wood is pressure treated and creasoted for extra resistance. Roof timber will be 5x2 at 400mm gaps for strength

You might want to get the timbers and spacing checked when I have done green roofs at that kind of size the timbers have been far, far larger 8/9 x 2 TR26 at 400 centres for 3.6m wouldn't be surprising
Then make sure your timber frame is strong enough its unbelievable what a green roof can weigh compared to felt or tiles.

Associate
Could put a louvre in at both ends and one in the door for air flow. Might want to put insect mesh inside to stop millions of bugs flying in though.
There’s a good shed build video on YouTube, I’ll try and find it.

found it: https://youtu.be/LP67MAoihZk

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just done some work to ours to improve the interior but didn't go the hole hog with insulation, just a breathable membrane and a dpm, plus new floor. Went for shingles on the roof as better than the usual felt stuff I think as they seem like they'll last longer.

Which did you go for? Do they seem good quality? I have been thinking of using these myself, but also tempted by EPDM. I think the shingles will look better though. The ones I was looking at are £21 per 2.6m2 pack from ebay.

Soldato
Which did you go for? Do they seem good quality? I have been thinking of using these myself, but also tempted by EPDM. I think the shingles will look better though. The ones I was looking at are £21 per 2.6m2 pack from ebay.

I used these but their pack number estimator is a bit out as I used a youtube video for the instructions which included cutting some strips down to use for a strip to go all around the edge first. I think our shed is 8' x 6' and had to order 4 packs instead of the recommended 3.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Square-Asphalt-Roof-Felt-Tiles-Packs-Ideal-for-Sheds-Summerhouses-Log-Cabins/132494711358?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=431842695887&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUSGEmOZMyE

EDIT: also used about 10 of these so each tile has a bead of this under it too.

https://www.toolstation.com/roof-gutter-sealant-300ml/p11002

The shingles above are good thick quality and seem to have quite a lot of grit on them and were fully coated with bitumen too. Much thicker than the roof felt that came with the shed and a better fitting concept as each row overlaps the clout nails.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok so been doing some research and a layer of felt then a 2mm pond liner then a root barrier then a mix of pea shingle and compost to a thickness of 100mm is all you need up there. Itll support a healthy wild garden with minimal watering so long as the angle doesnt exceed 10° ..approx 30kgsqM.
Im not worried about my timber frame...i could keep an elephant on the roof if i wanted to!!!

Associate
OP
Begged me not to chop the holly tree down she did...so im building around it!!...it means il have to full height cupboards at the back so im going to make that into a room.
Put the first panel up yesterday evening....it was 12 inches to high....12 inches!!! How the hell did i miss that..you shouldve seen it towering over next doors garage,she said "bit tall isnt it":rolleyes: theres something in the "measure twice" thing.... i think i just got blinded by the whole first panel thing and seeing it up....

Associate
OP
script>
3sAqK3B">
nope cant do it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom