If leaving a job after short time.. How would you explain to new one situation?

Caporegime
Looks like I'm just not very good at my new role, and not learning anything.

Not out of probation.

I left my old job as it was basically going through mass redundancy.

Old job I did 3 core roles (small company) around data.
New job I do 1 of the 3

Very much feels like this is the one I'm bad at.

I'm slow, I'm too detail driven for it and I'm learning nothing transferable.
Worse, I feel I'm losing use of the part I am now focused on.

I'm at that stage where I don't want to show too much discomfort, (probation) but I no doubt am.

Let's say I leave.

How do you communicate to new employer.. I picked the wrong thing to do, I think your role is the right one.

Associate
I told my current now employer that I took a chance to better myself and found it not what I was expecting. I was too focused on being honest about myself and selling myself I failed to assess whether the recruiter was telling the full truth.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks guys

I was fairly sure that the honest reason was appropriate in this case. I guess it's Monday morning and I'm in the situation! Just wanted to make sure I'm not being a lemon.

Well, this is a first one for me. Not pleasent feeling

Soldato
Agreed, just be honest. It's fine to have this happen occasionally. Just don't moan, explain the role isn't what you thought it was.

Man of Honour
I don't think it has the stigma it once did. As mentioned, be honest and say that it's taught you a lot about what you do and don't want in a role. Turn it into a positive in that way.

However also be aware that if you were in your old job a long time then any new role, and company culture, can feel very different and uncomfortable. It's natural.

Soldato
Explain why you left, what you didn't like and maybe your prospective employer will let you know if the job is right for you. Neither of you wants the same thing to happen.

Also why leave before you have a new job?

Caporegime
OP
Update.

So I took a new job during this outbreak.
Was a bit risky. Wasn't sure about it. Obviously would lose furlough benefit etc.

But it's been worth it.
New role is better and safe. Learning some new stuff in Bi/Di World. Azure and cubes, bit of a pay rise too. Just entered the 40pc tax bracket. Boo.
But should pay off that student loan quicker

Caporegime
OP
I think the key question people will ask given the thread title and OP is how did you pitch this to the new employer?

Have a good relationship with my manager. We even play DnD remotely at weekends still!
They were surprised but they understood, but wanted me to stay actually.
I told my manager straight.

"I have a new job offer, its this, its a little more pay, but not significant. The main reason I'm leaving is they have promised X, Y, Z"

"here I know my role is changing, and you've indicated its going to be more basic, or iat best.. undefined"

"I actually like this team and the environment, if you can tell me now what my job is going to be changing to what I want, I'll stay. I don't really want to go. I feel I need to"

He couldn't. I would have stayed if it was good news.

Things became a little more complex at home . And push to new job greater.
The small amount of pay increase overall was important.

It was a small pay rise when take into account pension. It was a bigger increase when you exclude it. So few hundred a month in my bank account, but I need to contribute more to my pension to match the old one.

But my gf is now on SSP... It may be she never works again.. Which.. Well.. Would be game over really.
That few hundred allows me to at least cover my mortgage myself. And live. Which is worth the pension hit right now.

I did spend a lot of time thinking about it. But came down to..

1. A defined role vs ambiguity
2. Being able to pay (and even over pay) my mortgage with fear of negative equity at time of renewal
3. Gf issues

Vs

1. Covid and no furlough at new place
2. A nice team

I've stayed at jobs for friends before . It never is a good idea

Associate
Can always keep up friendships outside of work. Generally if you feel like moving then you should move jobs, especially if it is to do with false promises etc since they will never change regardless of people giving you consistent false hopes that they will, especially when you have opportunity to better yourself elsewhere

Caporegime
OP
Can always keep up friendships outside of work. Generally if you feel like moving then you should move jobs, especially if it is to do with false promises etc since they will never change regardless of people giving you consistent false hopes that they will, especially when you have opportunity to better yourself elsewhere

This was it. At least my managers told me honestly. They are good people. Which made it hard to leave.

In previous roles I've seen fools take more responsibility for a verbal promise of more pay later. Only for it to never happen.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I left a role after two months - organistaion and value fit just wasn't there (mandatory tie wearing - eurgh!). I don't even put that role on my cv. If it's only a few months gap on your cv no one really cares and for the one interview that did ask about it I just said I decided to use that time to self build a loft extension.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
OP
You're binning your gf because she can't work due to sickness?

Its much more than just not being able to work.

We will lose the house, I'd end up being a full time carer (and I don't have the physical health for that anymore) , no more holidays, no intimacy, mental health would be rock bottom for me and her as well.

Its a horrible situation.

At the moment there is absolutely nothing to look forward to in our lives.

Just hoping she gets better.

Soldato
Its much more than just not being able to work.

We will lose the house, I'd end up being a full time carer (and I don't have the physical health for that anymore) , no more holidays, no intimacy, mental health would be rock bottom for me and her as well.

Its a horrible situation.

At the moment there is absolutely nothing to look forward to in our lives.

Just hoping she gets better.

Damn, that's bleak! Yeah, hope she gets better.

Husband and Wife take vows through sickness and in health etc - so leaving wouldn't be an option for me. But bf/gf, no kids etc? Then i suppose you have options.

Caporegime
OP
Damn, that's bleak! Yeah, hope she gets better.

Husband and Wife take vows through sickness and in health etc - so leaving wouldn't be an option for me. But bf/gf, no kids etc? Then i suppose you have options.

Its unbelievable. Really, the hardest bit is medical professionals just keep giving conflicting answers. I'm not optimistic. 'rest and time' seems to be the main answer. 6 months ago she could walk 13 miles, come kayaking etc. Now nothing.

Only big tie is joint mortgage.

Its really tough. If there's no progress it means all plans we made a few months ago are out the window. I can pay mortgage, but there's nothing left over. It will be difficult come remortgage time. If there's no savings to overpay. But that's not imminent.

Even talked about her going to live with her parents and getting a lodger in to cover the shortfall.

We are also both stressed and more snappy. It's not a happy environment I can tell you.

How people manage to care full time? You've got to have such a strong mind and body. I knew it was hard. But you never know until you know .

Have so much respect for those who can. Even more if they are happy.

Back
Top Bottom