Vodafone Gigacube unlimited 5G 50 quid a month

Associate
Maybe some form of Carrier aggregation is occurring between 4G and 5G to allow for greater speeds... not an expert unfortunately.
Though it could be that 5G is connecting as its sometimes finding the connection but 4G is also present but more prevalent.

From what I've found on the 5G router you can configure it to restart on schedule, maybe you can do it on a daily basis?

Soldato
The 5G and 4G light is on, if I disable 4G, the router won't operate and I need to reset it. I can disable 5G fine. I understand that it's the case you need to piggyback on 4G in 5G's current state, so pure 5G isn't even possible?

This CGNAT is the issue with games but even some landlines use it? Such as Hyperoptic?

You can pay extra to Hyperoptic and get a static IP which bypasses the CGNAT.

Soldato
OP
My 4G does have a stronger signal, unfortunatly seems hard to get a good 5G signal or at least better than 4g, 5G signal indoors. I could put my router on the balcony but it'd risk getting wet and all sorts of stuff in it.

Soldato
OP
You could look at getting a external antenna directional if you know where the 5G mast is and just point it directly towards it... think they are a little over £100 quid for a good quality one.

I don't feel I should have to in order to get a good speed given the cost of the Gigacube and the monthly amount, if it's really needed Vodaphone should cover the cost I think.

Associate
I don't feel I should have to in order to get a good speed given the cost of the Gigacube and the monthly amount, if it's really needed Vodaphone should cover the cost I think.

I'm of the opposite opinion on this, they provide the coverage... if you fall just outside that's not really on them... there are options to help with this as I've stated.

Soldato
We’re in the offices opposite the Lowry and we have an externally mounted beta 5G router from a supplier I can’t name but we’re not getting anything like the speed we were hoping for. On a good day we see 250Mbps. On a bad day we see 50Mbps. The supplier says the kit is good for 2-3 times that speed. Vodafone say we’re in the ‘golden zone’ and we should be getting more but I think it’s very early days yet.

Soldato
OP
We’re in the offices opposite the Lowry and we have an externally mounted beta 5G router from a supplier I can’t name but we’re not getting anything like the speed we were hoping for. On a good day we see 250Mbps. On a bad day we see 50Mbps. The supplier says the kit is good for 2-3 times that speed. Vodafone say we’re in the ‘golden zone’ and we should be getting more but I think it’s very early days yet.

I think the mast is near you also, the router just wouldn't work earlier at least to access the internet and they were doing work on it according to the network checker.

Here is hoping the 5g speeds and reliability will improve

Soldato
We’re almost next to the mast (I think it’s on the BBC tower) but it’s obvious that it’s not the finished item yet. It is encouraging though as we get 80-120Mbps on the Mikrotik LHG LTE unit we have mounted externally. If they can consistently get 250Mbps that would be pretty good.

Soldato
OP
Well perhaps the metal cladding on the building isn't helping things hopefully the signal may get better. I open the balcony door, I don't move the router and upload speeds start at 200mbit and lower to average of 30 and download is around 80-100 but odd times can be 180 average.

Back
Top Bottom