Work icebreaker activity

Permabanned
To clarify the second point above re. Feedback, I should have added "unless agreed to with the group when setting / negotiating the groundrules".

Of course there are sometimes grounds for exceptions. For example, as a suitable icebreaker for a training workshop designed to train 3rd year psych students in client-profesional relationship ethics (at a time when there were current media stories about violations of the same) I designed an ' Irish Brainstorm ' to produce an on-point conflict over how to respond in a single participant. Blindness as to the mechanism was important to the intended (and gained) effect. It worked well, and resolved well.

Irish Brainstorm: with the group arranged in a circle / horseshoe shape, give members seated at one side of the circle / horseshoe the task of coming up with a keyword each related to one topic. Simultaneously, have the opposite side do the same for a different (contrasting) topic. Have an aide for each side note down on the whiteboard responses as they occur. The last respondent (in the middle) is faced with a conflict on which topic keyword should be used. Resolve the conflict between the topics, starting with the discomfort (if any) produced in the participant in the mixed-response condition position.

Seed Topics: side 1. Romance and sexual behaviour keywords. side 2. Integrity and ethics related keywords.

Last edited:
Soldato
Love my job, but ******* detest 99.9% of the cretins I'm forced to work with.

You enjoy your work, sure. But do you enjoy going to work? Can't be easy if you hate everyone you work with... Also, your stat would suggest you work with at least 1,000 people and you don't detest just one of them?! Wow, that's not good! I think I would be looking for somewhere else to work?

Permabanned
This. Lots of people still over-share though. That's the nature of "look at me" types though.

Well this is the problem isn't it. People over sharing. If it was me I would think twice about my security settings once it was brought up in a meeting. I'm not on Facebook so I don't have to worry anyway and would never share something I wouldn't feel comfortable with people knowing outside.

Soldato
Sounds like something out of a black mirror episode.

Lesson learnt........I only have very close friends and family on facebook.

It does sound very strange though, and never something I would do to my team. HR would probably have a field day.

Your boss is an idiot!

Caporegime
Legal stuff aside - the OP might want to clarify what sort of photo it was - I mean if it was literally just an innocent photo of him dressed casually then I think it is a bit silly to get too worked up about. Something involving a night out, alcohol etc.. being annoyed is a bit more warranted! It is something worth perhaps pointing out for future reference if OP feels strong about it and it is something that could go a bit wrong.

I mean I guess if it were a female employee and it was a bikini photo from her holiday album etc.. then manager could be in a bit of trouble with HR etc..

Of course, this thread is entirely about a profile picture. So let's build all our arguments on that.

No, apparently it isn't. Though you quoted a post talking about profile pictures thats all :)

Caporegime
I would be annoyed by this.

I also don't have anyone from work senior to me on fb. Only very close friends Certainly not my manager!

The risk is just not worth it

Soldato
These people that don't make friends at work, do you enjoy work?

One of the few good things about my job is that I'm a lone worker, so I don't have to pretend to be friends with a load of idiots every day.

So glad I don't have to deal with any of this social media rubbish, I'd be fuming if my boss pulled a trick like that.

Soldato
Maybe you guys are doing it wrong :p I think 70% of the people I work with are nice folk, probably 30% I would hang out with and about 3% of them I do hang out with. For me it makes for a nicer work day if I can have a nice chat/laugh about things with my co-workers.

Caporegime
These people that don't make friends at work, do you enjoy work?
You can have friends at work and not add them to your social media nonsense.

Plenty of people don't even have a social media presence and still manage to have friends, both in work and out of it.

Given that social media is shown now just to be a means to data mine and sell you more crap, I'm really not sure why people still post absolutely everything about themselves, freely, all over the internet, in places like Bookface.

I guess people today really don't want any kind of privacy. They keep voting by their actions to give it up.

Back
Top Bottom