Rift s whos getting one?

Associate
Yeah setup goes fine, guardian wall etc all good, but it will randomly put the floor height too high. Even shows as too high when you run the setup again and you have to touch the floor to reset it.
It's like the setting is not sticking?
You will be in that steamvr lobby and spawn under the floor... have to restart PC and rerun guardian to reset it. Without a whole restart the setting does'nt change.
It's a restart every 10mins...
The controllers seem to stick to the helmet if I put them too close? Make sense?
Like you your holding one and go too close to your head, it sticks there and no amount of waving about gets them to reset to where your hands actually are.

PC is good, 1080ti, Ryzen, dedicated VR port on the motherboard.

Just tried playing Assetto corsa and it spawns you virtually under the car, the bad settings translate to games.

Soldato
Is this only happening in SteamVR, what about Oculus home?

Dedicated VR port?

I had some tracking / lag issues which turned out to be the USB port I was using, using USBTreeView I switched ports till I found one that worked.....

Associate
It's just a dedicated USB port I think. Have tried several though. Long night of tinkering..
I think steamVR breaks the floor tracking, which kills it for Oculus home also. But the hand tracking problem is terminal.

Screen goes black a lot too, saying to wear it, to wake it, but it's on and the blue light is on.

Maybe it's just a dodgy sensor, it's all boxed back up now.
Going back today, spent enough time with it.

Soldato
It's just a dedicated USB port I think. Have tried several though. Long night of tinkering..
I think steamVR breaks the floor tracking, which kills it for Oculus home also. But the hand tracking problem is terminal.

Screen goes black a lot too, saying to wear it, to wake it, but it's on and the blue light is on.

Maybe it's just a dodgy sensor, it's all boxed back up now.
Going back today, spent enough time with it.

did you update to the latest firmware?

Soldato
With official USB-C tethering on the Quest coming shortly is the Rift S still a viable purchase?

also

Vader Immortal Ep.2
- NOW
Asgard's Wrath 10/10
Stormlands 14/11
Medal of Honor - Above & Beyond (Respawn)- 2020

Last edited:
Soldato
I was considering a Rift-S for sims mainly, but looks like the Quest will be able to handle that fine now. Comfort is still an issue with the Quest though, as it's very front-heavy and the foam isn't comfortable. To be honest I've spent quite a bit of money with different mods to try to get it more comfortable. Rift S will still be better for clarity and comfort (if not versatility).

Soldato
With official USB-C tethering on the Quest coming shortly is the Rift S still a viable purchase?

Yes, of course it is. The reasons for getting the Rift S over the Quest are still the same for me.

Clearer Screen, Less SDE, More comfortable and Better tracking are the four major plus points for the Rift S over the Quest.

And I am sure the Finger Tracking addons will come to the Rift S too.

What this does do is make the Quest much more appealing to those on the fence. It should be very tempting now to those OG Rift users who haven't upgraded yet.

Vader Immortal Ep.2 - NOW
Asgard's Wrath 10/10
Stormlands 14/11
Medal of Honor - Above & Beyond (Respawn)- 2020

Vader Immortal EP. 2 - Meh. I thought the First Episode was only ok. The Dojo saved it. I believe EP. 2 is even shorter.

The other 3 games are looking fantastic though. All 3 are going to be definite purchases. Can't wait!!!

Soldato
The camera arrangement on the Rift S may not be as optimal for finger tracking as the Quest, as it only has two front facing cameras, compared to the Quest's four. The Rift S also has side and top cameras, but these may be of limited use for finger tracking, which needs really at least two cameras viewing the hands at all times for depth perception.

In fact for shooters where the controllers are held in front of you the Quest's camera arrangement is possibly superior too.

Soldato
The camera arrangement on the Rift S may not be as optimal for finger tracking as the Quest, as it only has two front facing cameras, compared to the Quest's four. The Rift S also has side and top cameras, but these may be of limited use for finger tracking, which needs really at least two cameras viewing the hands at all times for depth perception.

In fact for shooters where the controllers are held in front of you the Quest's camera arrangement is possibly superior too.

I can't see the cameras been a difficult problem to overcome. In fact, the position of the Rift S cameras should make it more future proof.

After reading a bit more, it seems the biggest hurdle is that they have used the Hardware DSP of the Snapdragon processor to make finger tracking work. This will be difficult to emulate on PC. There might be more latency too.

Which makes me think I should revise my statement. Maybe they won't release it for the Rift S after all. It wouldn't come out until after it's released for the Quest. That means it will probably be later 2020. Surely there will be other headsets coming down the line by then? It might not be worthwhile for them to bother.

Soldato
I can't see the cameras been a difficult problem to overcome. In fact, the position of the Rift S cameras should make it more future proof.

After reading a bit more, it seems the biggest hurdle is that they have used the Hardware DSP of the Snapdragon processor to make finger tracking work. This will be difficult to emulate on PC. There might be more latency too.

Which makes me think I should revise my statement. Maybe they won't release it for the Rift S after all. It wouldn't come out until after it's released for the Quest. That means it will probably be later 2020. Surely there will be other headsets coming down the line by then? It might not be worthwhile for them to bother.

The issue is they use machine learning for tracking the fingers. This will have been tailored for the camera setup of the Quest, and probably can't be simply ported to the very different Rift S camera layout. Possibly it will come later, once they've either translated the data, or performed specific machine learning for the Rift S.

Soldato
The issue is they use machine learning for tracking the fingers. This will have been tailored for the camera setup of the Quest, and probably can't be simply ported to the very different Rift S camera layout.

I am not convinced this is the reason. It doesn't make sense to me. The Cameras are just fixed View points. Any output from Deep Learning would easily be modified to take that into account.

Here is a quote from Upload VR.

So what “technical challenges” is Facebook referring to? The only explanation we can think of would be that hardware acceleration features of the Snapdragon’s Hexagon DSP or Spectra ISP are fundamental to getting this working in real time. Perhaps achieving this quality in software on a regular CPU would just use up the resources of even a gaming PC. If that’s the case, it will require serious optimization or new hardware to arrive on PC.

But even that shouldn't be too much trouble considering how powerful computers need to be to run VR headsets in the first place.

I fear the truth lies in the last paragraph of that Upload VR article, that it will be purely a business decision and Facebook have decided to put all their efforts in the Quest and because of this they might not bother bringing it to the Rift S.

Associate
I was happy with my wired CV1 and would be mostly happy with either a wired Quest or Rift S. The clarity and the comfort of the Rift S still make that headset appealing but the innovation of titles like Space Pirate Arena is exciting too. It's close to call though and I'm holding back until more titles get released, reviews of the Quest Link come through and the first price drop(s) hit. I might end up going with whichever product gets a price drop first.

Soldato
I was happy with my wired CV1 and would be mostly happy with either a wired Quest or Rift S. The clarity and the comfort of the Rift S still make that headset appealing but the innovation of titles like Space Pirate Arena is exciting too. It's close to call though and I'm holding back until more titles get released, reviews of the Quest Link come through and the first price drop(s) hit. I might end up going with whichever product gets a price drop first.

Don't think the Quest will get a reduction as it's selling as fast as they make them but could see the S dropping to 350 or same price with a generous Oculus store voucher. Only paid 320 each for the S and Quest in the first place.

Soldato
If the Rift S drops in price I'd be tempted to buy one just for the clarity for sims, despite the disadvantages in tracking and audio compared to my CV1.

I was surprised the Rift S launched at the same price as the Quest given that it should be a cheaper device to make. I do realise that the Rift is more open than the Quest, so the Quest could well be subsidized in order to get software sales from the Oculus store, which is where the profit lies.

Soldato
I had a Rift and sold on as I wasn't happy with the resolution. Is the Rift S a big upgrade? Can a 1080ti drive it OK?

Visually yes the S is quite the upgrade over the CV1, Text is actually legible, Everything is a lot more crisp and yes a 1080 Ti drives it just fine, Personally never had any issues with frame rate dips etc...

Back
Top Bottom