• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2060 Super or RX 5700 XT

Associate
OP
Brilliant thank you :)
Is this still the case if I overclock my CPU? I wouldn't need a new PSU?

I'm really not knowledgeable on voltages haha my apologies!

Permabanned
Wouldn't be overclocking the card, only thinking about the CPU (2700)

Well, during gaming, the CPU wattage is considerably lower, it is measured well below its rated TDP, which in your case is only 65W for the Ryzen 7 2700.
If you overclock it to let's say 100W consumption, and the card draws 225W, you will have GPU+CPU less than 350W.
Your PSU is up to 495ish watts and more if peak consumption for short periods.

Soldato
Brilliant thank you :)
Is this still the case if I overclock my CPU? I wouldn't need a new PSU?

I'm really not knowledgeable on voltages haha my apologies!

Actually if you get a 5700XT you should undervolt the card not overclock it.
You gain more performance that way hitting higher clocks while burning less power and generating less heat & noise.

But do not touch the Power Limit, leave it 0%. It just adds power consumption on the Navi GPUs on air and 0 perf increase.

That from own experience as started tweaking heavily my 5700XT AE with it's stock blower cooler.
Undervolting the card heavily (1044mv) and underclocking it (down to 1980Mhz), got flat 10% increase in FPS & benchmarks performance. Which also reduced power & heat in the process considerably.

Permabanned
Actually if you get a 5700XT you should undervolt the card not overclock it.
You gain more performance that way hitting higher clocks while burning less power and generating less heat & noise.

But do not touch the Power Limit, leave it 0%. It just adds power consumption on the Navi GPUs on air and 0 perf increase.

That from own experience as started tweaking heavily my 5700XT AE with it's stock blower cooler.
Undervolting the card heavily (1044mv) and underclocking it (down to 1980Mhz), got flat 10% increase in FPS & benchmarks performance. Which also reduced power & heat in the process considerably.

It's very weird why AMD doesn't implement some intelligent way to follow such cases. Because obviously not all of the cards are able to do so.
But anyways, this is a pretty significant gain and AMD can soften the "negative press", while improving their performance graphs.

bru

bru

Soldato
It's very weird why AMD doesn't implement some intelligent way to follow such cases. Because obviously not all of the cards are able to do so.
But anyways, this is a pretty significant gain and AMD can soften the "negative press", while improving their performance graphs.

Yup considering that a lot of card can get really good gains from a bit of tweaking why oh why did they start out with such high settings in the first place.

Soldato
So not the same requirements then.;)

50W is nothing, if someone chooses a Bronze (what AMD/Nvidia have in mind as worst case) vs Gold PSU, so you are been annl :p :D

<shrug> At least allow us to have fun playing with settings and do proper "overclocking (tweaking)" than use a third party software move to sliders to the right and call it a day.

Also allows AMD to not having wastage of bad chips, neither run 2 SKUs like Nvidia did with the Turing cards trying to find which AIB card had A or non-A chip for better performance.

Though we know that AE has better binned chips.
So i believe AMD takes the worst possible chips making them 5700, then takes the rest and bins them to the 0.1% best for the AE and the rest 99.9% for everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom