Tyre's with different tread depths - yes/no?

Associate
I never used to worry about tread depth varying around the car, on cars in the past I'd just slap whatever cheap rubber on the corners and get on with it. However BMW have just found a nail in my M2's nearside rear tyre, which has 5mm of tread on it.

It doesn't seem to be leaking air and is therefore hasn't run on the "runflat" bit, but I'm going to take it to ATS on Wednesday (the only place that will repair run-flats it seems!) to see if they can repair it.

If they cannot and I require a new tyre, will there be an issue running tyres with 5mm on one side and 8mm (new) on the other?

As I say, in the past I wouldn't have worried, but on a performance car will it cause issue?

Associate
On a car like that I'd probably take the hit and replace both. It's a fairly decent change in tread depth and whilst it wont make much difference in the dry you will end up with one side of the car having less grip than the other in the wet. Given the time of year we are coming up to where grip is at a premium as it is I think I would want the best going for it given the power you have to play with.

Soldato
Sorry, you have run-flats on your M2? I got a flat on my old M2 (the N55 one) and replaced both. That car could be a bit of a handful (well, for me anyway), so I didn't want to add anything to that tbh.

Associate
You can keep the other tyre, just in case.
But could be worst. One bad tyre and other 3 half way down, would require 4 tyres or find an identical to the other 3, or the excessive wear of the 4wd system.

Associate
OP
Good point all. I know I'm being cheap but at £250 a corner it's a big bill! Especially as I just bought a new GPU :D

@Nasher I won't go cheap, I'll make sure I buy the same that is on there, can't remember what they are, contis or pilot sports, something decent at least.

@MacRS4 I believe so, I assumed all BMWs had run flats, but if I'm honest I didn't check. Lazy on my part I know! I'll check the side walls later. The wildness is the thing I love about the car, my old Focus RS was faster in the bends but this thing feels so alive, I love it!! The Comp was even better when I test drove it, but sounded **** and was a bit out of price range.

@acemastr this is what I'm hoping for, but the vast majority of tyre garages don't repair run flats. ATS do, got it booked in on Wednesday, but its holding pressure fine, so fingers crossed it's an easy repair!

Soldato
My N55 M2 didn't have run-flats, nor does my M2C. Agree on the sound tbh. Suspect mine will be 'changed' on that front, I do miss the sound of my old one.

Associate
OP
My N55 M2 didn't have run-flats, nor does my M2C. Agree on the sound tbh. Suspect mine will be 'changed' on that front, I do miss the sound of my old one.

One of the biggest disapointments is that exhaust note on the comp, fixable with something aftermarket but I just didn't connect with it. Noise is a huge part of the enjoyment in driving and as I spend most of my time less than 50mph, all out performance was trumped by a much nicer exhaust and a good few quid a month!

Associate
If I can remember the name of the place, I can forward you the details on where I had my 2 week old run flat patch/plugged recently in London.

Edit. It might actually be around East London as I think I drove past Lea Bridge Road to get there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom