Polarising filter for my Nikon 85mm

Soldato
For still shots of family you'd really not need a polarising filter, unless there was some particular artistic need for it.

You would be degrading the quality of the final image with another piece of glass in front of the lens.

If you are looking to protect the front lens I'd suggest a clear filter or UV filter.

Soldato
I disagree. If you're in a sunny environment the polarising filter will help give a lovely dark blue sky, do the same for the sea and reduce reflections from surrounding surfaces (sand, windows etc.).

With the 85mm I guess it really depends how you're framing your shots. If they're full-body shots of people doing stuff by the sea, on the beach etc. then for sure you should get one. If you're talking close-ups with little background in shot then perhaps not.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
As above, polarisers are very good at cutting reflections and improving colour saturation. A good example of this effect, is reducing the reflection off shiny skin, removing reflections off the surface of glass, water or glossy plants.

Personally, the best polarising filters I've used are hoya HD, which are not as dense as most others so have less effect on your exposure times.

Back
Top Bottom