LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Only looks large a few days then you feel you should have got larger.

Today if buying I would be looking at 65" min but look up the ideal viewing distance for 4k in my room its like 100", most are sitting too far way for their screen sizes so may as well be 1080p, same as when 1080p came out as I grew up when we sat across the room from a 20-32" SD CRT.
He is talking about for desktop use.

for me anything over 40” would be way too big. 32” is ideal.

Soldato

Agreed. I had mine about 6ft away at one point and even at 55” it was just too big.

Now at around 9-10ft and I think that is perfect for movies and games.

Desk use I’d agree anything over 32” and you start to need to look around too much for my liking.

Soldato
OP
LG have a 48" OLED coming next year, but do you reckon it would be that much difference to 55"? 48" is still very large after all.

I used a CRG9 for a couple of months and I found the actual physical width of that screen for gaming was ideal. It just about didn't fill in my peripheral vision but was extremely immersive.

The 48'' OLED LG will not have the same width as the CRG9. The 55'' OLED does which is why I initially picked this.

I'm deffo going this route on my next upgrade with pretty much the same attitude, if it burns in, not too bothered about it, the protections are decent on them these days. Anyways, the trade off is more than worth it.

Exactly. It sucks that it burns in maybe one day but its better than looking at crap everyday.

Associate
LG have a 48" OLED coming next year, but do you reckon it would be that much difference to 55"? 48" is still very large after all.
I'm waiting on how these turn out before committing to a monitor upgrade. I've been using a 43" Samsung KS7500 as a monitor/gaming/movies screen. 55" is probably too big for my desk area but 48" sounds just right. With the Asus XG438Q not being so great after all maybe OLED is the way to go. Bonus if VRR support is in there and working well.

Associate
Glad you're enjoying your new monitor @aoaaron. Sounds fantastic. OLEDs always look amazing. Saw a Panasonic OLED in Currys the other day and it was simply the best picture I have ever seen. Unfortunately it was over £4000.

I'm loving my CRG9 as it's perfect for my sim racing use. Thanks for all the posts and information about it.

Soldato
OP
Glad you're enjoying your new monitor @aoaaron. Sounds fantastic. OLEDs always look amazing. Saw a Panasonic OLED in Currys the other day and it was simply the best picture I have ever seen. Unfortunately it was over £4000.

I'm loving my CRG9 as it's perfect for my sim racing use. Thanks for all the posts and information about it.
I miss how futuristic the crg9 looked!

Soldato

I got a 43" monitor and I'm totally used to it. My secondary 30" looks absolutely tiny, I wonder how I got on with it in the past. I think 48" oled might actually be doable.

Soldato
Does it not bother you having to move your head so much?
Haven't noticed anything. I sit at a normal distance and any head adjustments I have to do are very minor and feel natural.

Head movements are not really needed but you do it naturally. I just did a test with my phone and I still adjust my head position ever so slightly when looking at the top and then bottom of the screen.

Soldato
Wouldn't a custom res be a major risk for burn-in... having that hard edge between the on and off parts of the display all the time?

Yes and no I guess. Obviously those pixels are not in use and would be switched off just like in a movie etc.

The ones in use however being organic would age faster. But it’s unlikely you would notice any difference unless it was like that permanently for hundreds of hours.

Soldato
OP
Wouldn't a custom res be a major risk for burn-in... having that hard edge between the on and off parts of the display all the time?

Everythings probably a risk for burn in. The middle pixels will wear quicker, although I will be mixing content.

At the end of the day, if you're scared of burn in, then an OLED isn't for you.

I had a similar fear with Plasma Vs LCD. I settled on an LCD and lived with crappy image quality day in, day out for 5 years or so. Then I had to choose LCD or OLED. I went with LCD and from day to day (with a top class panasonic 902b) I've lived with vertical banding, blooming, back light banding, and subpar black performance in a dark room with the halo effect. FALD lovers can lie as much as they want and say they're sets are perfect but I'm not biting.

top range monitor: https://i.imgur.com/RoIyNwB.jpg

oled:
https://i.imgur.com/YAohXZD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BdTldPD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SLFmle6.jpg

its so black the camera struggles to capture it.

If i get burn in 2 years, I'll try via team knowhow insurance cover to get a replacement. If they are annoying about it, I'll just hand it down to my sister or parents. Its very hard to go back from an OLED screen once you've experienced it imo. Especially if you have ideal envrionment for it.

Associate
That picture from a top range monitor is likely from a PG34 or x34 those don't have FALD you can see the backlight bleed. I have a PG27UQ and there is no noticable haloing in games, and on the PG35VQ the Blacks are amazing. It's just a shame that those monitors have serious flickering issues. I'm not arguing with you on what has the best picture quality(the TV has it) but the pic you showed is nothing like a what is on the PG27UQ and PG35VQ.

Soldato
That picture from a top range monitor is likely from a PG34 or x34 those don't have FALD you can see the backlight bleed. I have a PG27UQ and there is no noticable haloing in games, and on the PG35VQ the Blacks are amazing. It's just a shame that those monitors have serious flickering issues. I'm not arguing with you on what has the best picture quality(the TV has it) but the pic you showed is nothing like a what is on the PG27UQ and PG35VQ.

The top pic is likely an IPS UW. One reason I got rid of mine a long time ago.

The only issue with the 27UQ and 35VQ is the price. I’m sure the 35VQ is a pretty amazing monitor. Flickering issues aside etc. However.

You could get a 55” C9 and still have change to spare when buying either monitor.
You could get a 55” C9 and a 165hz 1440p 27/32” or a 34” UW and still have change to spare over the 35VQ. You could even get a 65” C9 and still have change to spare. Personally I know what I would go for.

Associate
I have an LG 55" C8 OLED as my main living room TV, which I have connected to my PC and my consoles. - it's Marvellous! I only tend to play controller based PC games on it like Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, etc, where I can relax on the couch with my xbox controller. but with the added HDR these games look so damn good.

I am however super salty that my panel is 1 year too old to receive the coveted 13ms/6ms input lag and variable refresh rate that you get on the C9 :( - saying that, in PC/Game mode my ~26ms input lag feels indistinguishable to my PC monitor anyway...

Soldato
OP
Oh yeah I agree.

For fald I can do a comparison photo with my 902b Panasonic which is definitley a Top class fald but it’s in a different room with difficult conditions.

The different is still huge. One fald looks like a really nice image, the oled looks like perfection tbh.

Soldato
OP
The top pic is likely an IPS UW. One reason I got rid of mine a long time ago.

The only issue with the 27UQ and 35VQ is the price. I’m sure the 35VQ is a pretty amazing monitor. Flickering issues aside etc. However.

You could get a 55” C9 and still have change to spare when buying either monitor.
You could get a 55” C9 and a 165hz 1440p 27/32” or a 34” UW and still have change to spare over the 35VQ. You could even get a 65” C9 and still have change to spare. Personally I know what I would go for.

Exactly my thoughts.

The fald monitors and the lg38’’ are just priced at ridiculous levels for what a good ips or va ultrawide with high refresh rate plus a 55’ c9 offers (which is the best of both worlds).

That’s ignoring the build quality and tech packed into the c9! And the real hdr performance with absolute blacks

I have an LG 55" C8 OLED as my main living room TV, which I have connected to my PC and my consoles. - it's Marvellous! I only tend to play controller based PC games on it like Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, etc, where I can relax on the couch with my xbox controller. but with the added HDR these games look so damn good.

I am however super salty that my panel is 1 year too old to receive the coveted 13ms/6ms input lag and variable refresh rate that you get on the C9 :( - saying that, in PC/Game mode my ~26ms input lag feels indistinguishable to my PC monitor anyway...
Yeah it’s the mystical magical oled pixel response rate.

I played portal 2 today which id competed on my crg9 and old aw34 and it felt very similar.

Also weirdly enough I disxanled vsync and on an oled screen tearing is really really hard to spot if you move fast whilst on other panels I’ve found it really easy to spot and annoying.

Back
Top Bottom