Home Lab Threadripper Build Thread.

Associate
Hello guys, just registered to post here specifically. First of all, many thanks to all of you for putting in so much work in testing and diagnosing X399 boards with ESXi. I'm just about to buy parts for my own brand new server based on this platform. What's the current state of things? Is the Taichi still the recommended and most compatible board, as this thread seems to suggest in the end? What are your experiences running your setups over the long term? I'm mostly interested in the stability of running Windows/Linux/BSD as guests with various passthroughs (GPU, dedicated SATA card, M.2 drives and USB).

Associate
Taichi is a good board with more features than some others. But regarding stability, I'll let the others speak.

In my situation, we have 2 machines on the ASUS Prime board and it proved high reliability being the host of 10 virtual machines. We however do not use any pass through.

Man of Honour
OP
Hello guys, just registered to post here specifically. First of all, many thanks to all of you for putting in so much work in testing and diagnosing X399 boards with ESXi. I'm just about to buy parts for my own brand new server based on this platform. What's the current state of things? Is the Taichi still the recommended and most compatible board, as this thread seems to suggest in the end? What are your experiences running your setups over the long term? I'm mostly interested in the stability of running Windows/Linux/BSD as guests with various passthroughs (GPU, dedicated SATA card, M.2 drives and USB).

The current state of play with the taichi is pretty good. Things appear to keep improving as ESXi release new builds and in it's current state it's workable in the lab for sure, it appears some people are having some issues here and there passing through certain devices etc but personally for me and what I need it for it's been perfect. It's my favourite x399 board of them all! It might not be the best overclocker or the best at everything but it is just a really nice, well thought out and well rounded board. Oh and welcome to my thread! I am sure you will find that the hospitality here is top notch ;)

Associate
We are suffering from guest random crashes, a few times a week.

I performed a MemTest86 test on my machine and I could get some errors, but just a few.

Can we trust MemTest86 on a guest or we really should run it on the host to make sure one of the sticks is faulty ? I was also thinking of reducing the ram speed and test again. It's really harder to do those tests while the machine is used by 10 persons !

Back
Top Bottom