Mountain Biking

Soldato
Supposedly co2 can react with the sealant?

May be worth a google.
It can long term (causes it to 'go off' sooner) but co2 is a short term 'get me home' on road tyres which you remove and replace with 'real' air (due to the higher pressure, it'll leak overnight). CO2 slowly permeates rubber.

If you are going to go tubeless (the best thing you can do especially with winter around the corner) then its worth getting the right pump. I had so many issues trying to seat tyres before and now i just blast 240psi into it
Have been running tubeless on my road tyres, 32mm wide Specialized Roubaix Pro '2bliss'. 10/11 months & nearing 3000 miles without a single flat. Amazing tyres for the price - £30 a pop is about the cheapest amongst road tubeless tyres.

When stripping this sealant I've found 6 thorns in the casing (with evidence of at least 2 more), had thought I was lucky avoiding them, but they're all there and been plugged by sealant without any evidence of sealing on the outside or loss of air. I'm really impressed and the pain of removing these bogies is a good compromise for not having to stop for 6+ tube changes! :D

As for removing the old sealant - I've just left the tyre in a washing up tub with hot water for 10-15 mins and it generally wipes off.
Did try scrubbing it in water without much change but hadn't tried hot water.

Went a couple of weeks ago though and my god :eek: my fitness (the bit that i had) has just disappeared
Consistency & regularly riding is key!

Soldato
Well, the Boardman Pro 29'er is getting towards 2 years old. Served me well thus far (after a few upgrades, Maxxis minions, Renthal bar and stem, shimano saint pedals, dropper post) but i've just found out that work has lifted the C2W scheme limit and they are considering changing the repayment from 12 to 24 months to accomodate the increase in limit. Think it's time to start shopping around to see what's on offer. YT Jeffsy is looking good so far. Fancy doing some of the tracks i've done without my teeth rattling out of my skull on a hardtail, at 45 my back isnt a spring chikcne anymore!

Associate
do it! I love my Jeffsy.

Got a 27.5 CF Pro - ace and amazingly light. But, I'm semi-paranoid about the carbon frame and long-term strength, possibly as it's my 1st carbon bike (and all the warning notes in the manual).

If I was to get another FS today, I might be pushed towards the 29er Capra, just as 29ers seem to be getting more traction (drum-roll for that pun) recently. But, in reality, I've flown (and royaly scared myself) down sections that suggest the bike if far more capable than me, so I doubt I really need the extra beef/travel from the Capra. Sure, if I was to regularly goto the Alps or uplift days, but not really for loops around the peaks.

(but, with winter around the corner, I do keep thinking about a HT as a n+1... Helpfully, from this weekend, I think my house needs a new roof, so that's going to well exceed and nuke any bike funds :()

Last edited:
Soldato
So I need some dropper post advice if poss gents

Voodoo Bizango (20")
Seat to stem lock 130mm (50mm removed already) comfortable ride height
Main drop (Tape down seat post) 400mm
Seat base to BB 730mm

So would I be safe with this

Thanks

Associate
it's not as simple as a tape measure down the seat tube, if that's what you mean - as there's usually a small bend/kink that prevents the seat post from going all the way down to the BB. See if your existing seat post will fully insert into the frame, without catching on anything. If it stops then measure that insertion length.

btw, what do you mean my 50mm removed already?

And, when you say comfortable ride height - is that sat down like a commuter on a Brompton, or properly set height with your leg nearly straight when the peddle is at the bottom of its rotation?

Look at image 7 on CRC to get an idea of the dropper post dimensions. If you're only 130mm from the seat to the seat-clamp, then a 125mm dropper would probably suffice. 33mm gets taken up by the top of the dropper's post, so 125mm extension would make the seat sit 158mm from the seat clamp. Over your 130, so it would give a little extra height for climbs (and perching on the nose of the saddle). Even the 105mm travel dropper would extend to 138 from the seat clamp.

Soldato
Well, the Boardman Pro 29'er is getting towards 2 years old. Served me well thus far (after a few upgrades, Maxxis minions, Renthal bar and stem, shimano saint pedals, dropper post) but i've just found out that work has lifted the C2W scheme limit and they are considering changing the repayment from 12 to 24 months to accomodate the increase in limit. Think it's time to start shopping around to see what's on offer. YT Jeffsy is looking good so far. Fancy doing some of the tracks i've done without my teeth rattling out of my skull on a hardtail, at 45 my back isnt a spring chikcne anymore!

*Cough*

Do it

*Cough*

:D:p

Associate
I'd have to sell my soul to get something that nice, or a kidney :D

I'll make do with my new Voodoo Bizango! Second hand but excellent condition £450
Dont knock it, Voodoo bikes are ace for their price.

just whip off the reflectors and in time some better peddles (Superstar Nano? occasionally a discount code to drop the price) down the line...

Then it's decent mtb shoes, and kit, etc... lol...

Soldato
Dont knock it, Voodoo bikes are ace for their price.

just whip off the reflectors and in time some better peddles (Superstar Nano? occasionally a discount code to drop the price) down the line...

Then it's decent mtb shoes, and kit, etc... lol...
Going to get a dropper post installed and grab a Giro Fixture MIPS helmet any recommended gloves? These look well reviewed?

Soldato
I've always found that with gloves it's very hit and miss buying over the net, due to fit mainly. Some gloves will buldge up around the palm and some will buldge around the fingers.

I love my MT500 gloves, got 2 pairs!

Associate
I generally cycle in fingerless gloves, which have some padding/thickness under the palm. No idea the make, possibly from Decathlon, or a CRC sale.

If it's too cold for fingerless, I use Pow Shocker gloves, as (despite being over 40) I'm just a big kid and laugh at the design. I also occasionally teach snowboarding and wear these gloves (equally, so the child in me can laugh - and, erm, the pink areas are nice and visible), so I tend to use old/tired ones biking that are starting to let the snow in. They're not waterproof, but I'm used to cold hands. Tbh, I probably should get some decent waterproof gloves (and socks) - Sealskinz are meant to be good, but not the cheapest.

Caporegime
I bought a pair of mechanix M-pact gloves off ebay for about £12. Cracking gloves imo.

I use standard mechanix gloves, mostly as a mate gave me a bunch for free, but I must rip gloves on every 4th ride or so. So paying £30 for gloves that'll barely last 6 months is devastating.

Soldato
I'm 99% sure I have some gloves (padded) that I need to dig out of the draw at home, anyway I have ordered the 150mm Brand-x Ascend II and the Giro Fixure MIPS helmet, sent the sixsixone full face back as it looked too OTT for me, plus my sons would disown me for wearing it :)

Associate
I'm 99% sure I have some gloves (padded) that I need to dig out of the draw at home, anyway I have ordered the 150mm Brand-x Ascend II and the Giro Fixure MIPS helmet, sent the sixsixone full face back as it looked too OTT for me, plus my sons would disown me for wearing it :)

What size frame is your bizango??

Back
Top Bottom