• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Cannonlake, Cascade Lake, Ice Lake, Tiger Lake & Sapphire Rapid thread

Soldato
10th gen upgrades coming

Intel announces a new Microsoft update coming soon will boost how cores are selected for instructions. The update helps CPUs that use Turbo Boost such as the upcoming Intel 10th gen Lake X and Core desktop parts.

intel "claims" the update delivers 15% better single thread performance

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...erformance-via-favored-cpu-core-optimization/
Not just 10th gen:

For Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0, the following CPUs are supported:

• Intel® Core™ i7-69xx/68xx Processor Family
  • Intel® Core™ i9-7900X/i9-7920X/i9-7940X/i9-7960X/i9-7980XE/i7-7820X/i7-9800X
  • Intel® Core™ i9-9820X/i9-99x0XE/i9-99x0X
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1600 v4 Product Family (single-socket only)
  • Intel 10th Generation CPUs

ehm
https://www.techpowerup.com/259688/...wareness-increase-single-threaded-performance

Nothing to do with Boost 3.0, as it would apply to AMD CPUs also. But at @Robert896r1 said that won't work on manually overclocked CPUs.

Associate
Soldato
ehm

The article you link clearly states the following from Intel: "This, however, requires the processor to support Turbo Boost Max 3.0" So according to Intel, for their chips to benefit from this Win10 update, it does require "Boost 3.0" And I pasted exactly what processors Intel said they will support.

You miss the second part of my sentence. Is for both AMD & Intel CPUs boost.
Not just Intel boost 3.0 as some make it to be like the bleepingcomputer article. Also is only for those not manually overclocking their systems.

Soldato
I thought Windows 10 1903 already understood "best cores" for Zen 2 anyway? I can't remember whether it was an update to Windows or an update to AMD's chipset drivers but I'm sure it exists already. Adding it for Intel's new chips is a good thing and interestingly it shows they're probably moving the same way as AMD: push their chips to the max out of the box, to the extent of pushing some cores higher even if the others can't keep up.

TrM

TrM

Associate
ehm

The article you link clearly states the following from Intel: "This, however, requires the processor to support Turbo Boost Max 3.0" So according to Intel, for their chips to benefit from this Win10 update, it does require "Boost 3.0" And I pasted exactly what processors Intel said they will support.

It’s what intel do best :) marketing spin and most normal people will fall for it. Intel really do like to shout out anything that will improve there CPU’s and there will be a lot of people falling for the new spin.

mot seems like more and more these days that marketing plays more of a role then actual raw performance of cpu or gpu etc

Amd try to do the same but intel seem to be on a different level then amd with it and so many news sites dedicate more time to something on intel then the same technology and process on amd

Soldato
I thought Windows 10 1903 already understood "best cores" for Zen 2 anyway? I can't remember whether it was an update to Windows or an update to AMD's chipset drivers but I'm sure it exists already. Adding it for Intel's new chips is a good thing and interestingly it shows they're probably moving the same way as AMD: push their chips to the max out of the box, to the extent of pushing some cores higher even if the others can't keep up.

The next Windows patch has additional improvements for AMD also.

Soldato
Now that Intel are ramping up the cores, it's in Microsoft's interest to get their scheduler sorted out. I wonder if they'll just relent and put the server scheduler onto desktop?

Last time checked all these Intel CPUs exist since June 2017 in the form of 7900X -7980XE etc, so I cannot see validity to your argument "Now that Intel are ramping up the cores".

Also they are not different architecturally. Just a refresh of the Skylake-X. Is not like the AMD changing how things work every year.

Soldato
Last time checked all these Intel CPUs exist since June 2017 in the form of 7900X -7980XE etc, so I cannot see validity to your argument "Now that Intel are ramping up the cores".
OK, let me rephrase...as Intel locked the mainstream consumer CPU space to 4 cores until 2 years ago, where is Microsoft's incentive to write a scheduler that scales beyond that? Microsoft clearly don't give a **** about AMD, otherwise Bulldozer wouldn't have been so utterly fisted in Windows. But Intel were pushed into competing on cores when Ryzen landed, and now are pushing 10 cores in the consumer space and their HEDT is up to 28. So now the consumer desktop space is going to average higher than Intel's decade-long stagnation, so it's in Microsoft's interests to get the scheduler working.

But it's sure as **** they wouldn't have bothered if Intel just stuck with quads and hexes.

Soldato
Hang on
Brand New Core i9-10980XE has 18 core 36 thread base 3Ghz Boost 4.6Ghz
yet
Old Threadripper TR 2950WX has 16 core 32 thread base 3.5Ghz Boost 4.4Ghz costing less than the intel
and has two bigger models, costing more, with many many more cores.

Is there something special about the new Intel, or is this refresh still only just catching up with last year AMD midrange products?

Soldato
Its just another refresh on X299 but at least they have had sense to lower prices now, 7000 and 9000 series were faster than Threadripper core for core in most applications but they were really expensive in comparison. They will get destroyed by the 3000 series Threadripper in Novmember as it will offer loads of cores without any of the NUMA weaknesses of the previous generation. Will be interesting how they compare to the 3900X and 3950X though.

Associate
Hang on
Brand New Core i9-10980XE has 18 core 36 thread base 3Ghz Boost 4.6Ghz
yet
Old Threadripper TR 2950WX has 16 core 32 thread base 3.5Ghz Boost 4.4Ghz costing less than the intel
and has two bigger models, costing more, with many many more cores.

Is there something special about the new Intel, or is this refresh still only just catching up with last year AMD midrange products?

The Intel is the faster CPU in single thread due to clockspeeds, so it will be interesting to see how they stack up performance and price wise, I would have bought x299 last time but I wanted a lower core cheaper chip with lanes, Intel did not offer this, with the refresh the 10 core in this stack would suit, assuming that Intel maintains higher clockspeed advantage with cores loaded up and it's not like my laptop were you get 4.5Ghz for 5 secs before dropping to about 3 :(

It will all depend on how the boost works, roll on reviews of both this and TR, cash waiting :D

They will get destroyed by the 3000 series Threadripper in Novmember as it will offer loads of cores without any of the NUMA weaknesses of the previous generation. Will be interesting how they compare to the 3900X and 3950X though.

3900x and 3950x are irrelevant in if you crave PCIe lanes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom