2019 NFL Season Thread

Soldato
don't know how haskins can disrespect anyone with his lack of playing time in college.

Me neither, that's why I'm waiting to hear what Haskins did/said?

It will be a teaching moment to be sure. But, at the end of the day it was an unusual, weird play.

Personally I disagree. For most people watching and on the field, the play was over. I totally get you 'play to the whistle' and all that, but watch the replay again and pretty much everyone had stopped. Movement in the pile had stopped, there wasn't actually any indication it had been fumbled, until the defence were running back down the field. It was just a great heads up play by Breeland. Even the commentators thought the play was over and Breeland was just going through the motions, just in case.

There were one or two offensive players chasing, but I just don't think there's much to learn from that play. You keep hitting people just in case the whistle hasn't gone and you're going to be picking up a lot of flags.

Soldato
OP
Me neither, that's why I'm waiting to hear what Haskins did/said?

Personally I disagree. For most people watching and on the field, the play was over. I totally get you 'play to the whistle' and all that, but watch the replay again and pretty much everyone had stopped. Movement in the pile had stopped, there wasn't actually any indication it had been fumbled, until the defence were running back down the field. It was just a great heads up play by Breeland. Even the commentators thought the play was over and Breeland was just going through the motions, just in case.

There were one or two offensive players chasing, but I just don't think there's much to learn from that play. You keep hitting people just in case the whistle hasn't gone and you're going to be picking up a lot of flags.

I can't find the quotes but he was bad mouthing him about saying he should have been picked before him, that he wasn't good enough etc.

There's a video (the one thing I can find) about his reaction to Jones being drafted before him but it wasn't so much that as the comments

Associate

You won't get flags if the whistle hasn't blown.

It's one of the most fundamental concepts in football at any level. You play til the whistle blows. That will be the teaching opportunity.

That said, it is generally rare for something like that to happen.

Now, the refs have been put in a bad situation, generally speaking, by the league. They are gun shy and this year have had a habit of swallowing the whistle. If it doesn't change someone will get hurt unnecessarily.

Soldato
ever since cam jordan ran the one back against us the other week the refs have been letting things play out, seen 2 or 3 at least that they've let go, so they can review it rather than just blowing it dead.

for me is the right thing to do otherwise you'll have everyone complaining if it turns out they could have got something out of it.

edit:

another one of those "iffy" offensive pass interference, had his hand on the player but didn't see any real push involved, but ref upheld it.

Last edited:
Associate
ever since cam jordan ran the one back against us the other week the refs have been letting things play out, seen 2 or 3 at least that they've let go, so they can review it rather than just blowing it dead.

for me is the right thing to do otherwise you'll have everyone complaining if it turns out they could have got something out of it.

edit:

another one of those "iffy" offensive pass interference, had his hand on the player but didn't see any real push involved, but ref upheld it.

I agree that it's not clear cut in most cases. I'm just advocating for the on field officials to be able to use their discretion. If they're wrong after review, then fine,

Problem is, as you just mentioned, they are calling some BS OPI. This doesn't help imo.

Soldato
burfict suspended for the rest of 2019 season for the helmet to helmet yesterday

I agree that it's not clear cut in most cases. I'm just advocating for the on field officials to be able to use their discretion. If they're wrong after review, then fine

i'm sure they'd like to but with all the flak there getting i don't see it happening :(, even with all the cameras they have some decisions are still unclear.

Soldato
You won't get flags if the whistle hasn't blown.

It's one of the most fundamental concepts in football at any level. You play til the whistle blows. That will be the teaching opportunity.

No of course you wont get a flag if the whistle hasn't blown. My point being, there will be uncertainty in players mind if everything looks to be dead and over. With all that is going on, the noise, the action, 'Did I miss a whistle?' If players start hitting people 'just in case'... there will be flags. 99% of people thought that play was over. There was no evidence, pretty much anywhere that suggested it wasn't. It's only watching the replay you can see the ball has come out.

I'm also fairly sure sometimes the whistle doesn't blow until a guy starts legging it down the field with the ball and the refs realise no-one blew.

Soldato
No of course you wont get a flag if the whistle hasn't blown. My point being, there will be uncertainty in players mind if everything looks to be dead and over. With all that is going on, the noise, the action, 'Did I miss a whistle?' If players start hitting people 'just in case'... there will be flags. 99% of people thought that play was over. There was no evidence, pretty much anywhere that suggested it wasn't. It's only watching the replay you can see the ball has come out.

I'm also fairly sure sometimes the whistle doesn't blow until a guy starts legging it down the field with the ball and the refs realise no-one blew.

if a guy starts running off i'd expect my players to hit them, no different to any other time they have the ball, if he starts running make sure you stop him.

also, a hit isn't always needed with the one mentioned they could have held him up, its just a case of the refs are leaving it to run out so they can review so the players have to take the action.

A good solid performance from the Steelers. Let's see if they can produce against the Ravens next Sunday.

they need to get rudolph throwing a bit deeper, think the commentators said that prior to his one real deep throw his average pass was 2.3 yds :D

Soldato
if a guy starts running off i'd expect my players to hit them, no different to any other time they have the ball, if he starts running make sure you stop him.

also, a hit isn't always needed with the one mentioned they could have held him up, its just a case of the refs are leaving it to run out so they can review so the players have to take the action.

Lets try it this way...

Give me the number of the Lions player that should have hit him or held him up?

Most of them are on the ground/helping other people up. Everyone bar maybe two Chiefs thought the play was over. By the time anyone sees them running it's too late.

Soldato
from a quick look , 1 on the ground next to the ball when it's picked up, someone wide right cant see a clear name/number looks like 13 or 14 who was being covered by 21 who picked the ball up, and stafford is sitting back from what i can see.

it's not like 21 is in the mix at the start hes out wide right and comes in with the guy he's marking.

you've seen it before on fumbles where they get into a fight for the ball to secure it, this time no one did as i guess they figured its dead when it wasn't.

commentary also mentions that the officials on this game where the ones from the rams/saints :D

Soldato
This is a split second after the ball is picked up...

0zsQovf.png

Which one of those guys lying on the ground is mean to hit him? Seriously? Number 14 is helping someone up from the ground... not looking... how will he hit him? Yes, Stafford is about the only Lion you see that could see the guy running and didn't give chase, because, as I've said... everyone thought the play had ended.

you've seen it before on fumbles where they get into a fight for the ball to secure it, this time no one did as i guess they figured its dead when it wasn't.

Yes, this is my point. THERE WAS NO INDICATION THERE WAS A FUMBLE.

Maybe we have to agree to disagree. I'm still strongly of the opinion that whilst, yes until the whilst is blown you hit anyone that moves, we've definitely had times that has been the case and someone has hit someone and then been called for unnecessary roughness.

Out of interest, did you ever play? You can't always be sure a whilst has been blown or not. Sometimes even your own ears are ringing from contact during the play, you can't tell, you have to exercise some common sense. Nothing indicated there had been a fumble or that the play was even still live, early enough for anyone to do anything.

Soldato
with that snapshot there is still someone out to the right of where 21 is , as 21 has come in off the right from marking him

41 is helping up, not 14 if you're talking about the 2 players by no29 ?, not sure of the number for the guy out right thought it was 13 or 14.

maybe using the word "fumble" was wrong, but how many times have you seen players going at it over a loose ball from a fumble or a strip on the qb etc ?, the ball was loose on the ground but no one from the lions secured it, fair play to 21 on a heads up play.

be interesting to see how this develops over the season, from what i've seen over the weekend the refs have started to allow plays to carry on and then review them, so will need to see how teams approach things like this.

Back
Top Bottom