FAO 335d X-drive owners

Associate
Anyone on here have one of these diseasel barges? Had mine a couple of month now as the last car (M140i) was becoming a bit of a pain for weekends away due to the lack of luggage space. I do miss the performance as this 335d is definitely a step or two behind in the pace stakes, so, should I remap it?

What are peoples experience of these mapped? I dont want to map it though if it means changing anything else like the intercooler etc.

Soldato
I mapped my e91 (LCI) 335d and it was great. Made a huge difference to the poke of the machine, without any issues elsewhere during my ownership. I never modded anything else either. Just bought a Bluefin, applied map, happy.

Didn't get near the power claimed mind you, but I wasn't about to go spend more money chasing a few BHP when it was already fast enough.

Associate
OP
That's good to know, if I do map it, then I'll be seeing Paul at RSTuning for it as he does all our tuning work for the track car and all other cars we've had recently. MPG not really bothered about either, as coming from an M140i this thing does almost double the miles per tank lol.

Soldato
My e90 35d was mapped by gkrperformace/gbw. Definitely made a difference to the car was circa 375/550lbft I also mapped the gearbox using xhp all be it a stage 2 tune. Gear changes were much quicker.

The f30 map very well and go very well once fettled with. Worth a chance to see if you like it.

Man of Honour
Be aware that these are xDrive only which compromises the handling as it has SE suspension.

The 330d isn't much slower (5.4 to 60) and is RWD with M Sport suspension and drives better as a result.

Associate
OP
375bhp... wow!

Not even looked at what these things can go to, but that's a hell of a jump in power! Pretty sure the auto box will handle whatever is thrown it's way, if it's good enough for an M5 it should be fine for this little dieseasel!

Man of Honour
It's not the same variant as that in the M5. There are different versions of the 8HP with different torque ratings.

Associate
OP
Be aware that these are xDrive only which compromises the handling as it has SE suspension.

The 330d isn't much slower (5.4 to 60) and is RWD with M Sport suspension and drives better as a result.

Mine is the Msport, but I've got the adaptive suspension too. Handling seems okay to be fair, I'd actually say it's better than my 140 in terms of handling and obviously has a lot more outright grip.

Associate
OP
It's not the same variant as that in the M5. There are different versions of the 8HP with different torque ratings.

Ah right, didn't know that... assuming that it should handle the torque okay without exploding?

Oh sorry I didn't realise you'd already bought it :D

Yeah, got it already lol. I know the previous model well though, my dad buys a lot of BMW's and previously had a 330d Msport and also had a 335d x-drive touring like me. His was the reason I changed actually, as I loved the way it drove, the space and the grip. I like quick cars, so didn't feel like too much of a downgrade from the 140 :)

Soldato
On an f30 335d they’ll remap to 380bhp easily. Some have got close to 400 with dpf still in place. But that’s an absolute limit. Be wary of timing chain stretching as I’ve heard of a few stretching, my friends did.

Soldato
I've had mine for about 2.5 years now, the performance is good and I imagine with a remap even better, I'll be going to Unicorn for a Stage 1 map which is around 360-380 without an intercooler, or 390-400 with a Wagner. The gearbox is rated to 700NM but there's been a few people running north of 800 without issue and really giving it some hammering (hybrid turbos and it frequented a drag strip). XHP have a remap out for the gearbox which comes highly rated, can be done via an app on your phone and a dongle for about £300.

Timing chain issues above have reportedly been down to prolonged idling from one of the BMW techs in one of the Facebook groups.

Associate
OP
Sounds like there's a fair bit of extra power that can be extracted then. Custom RR remap will be enough for me, I dont want to go down the modding route and change anything mechanical, likewise the gearbox map sounds good, but overkill for me as this is just a daily work commuter... and even then, I only do about 6k miles a year lol.

Back
Top Bottom