Catalytic converter

Associate
OP
Just had confirmation from the indie garage, cat is in place and the exhaust has been fully replaced too.

Can't see why anyone would run a de-cat, it's just going to cause problems at some point.

Thanks for all the input and info

Associate
Just had confirmation from the indie garage, cat is in place and the exhaust has been fully replaced too.

Can't see why anyone would run a de-cat, it's just going to cause problems at some point.

Thanks for all the input and info
More power, less restrictions, better fuel economy, weight saving etc. A lot of higher power turbo cars would blow the inside of the cat straight out of the exhaust at high boost levels.

Soldato
Has it been remapped as well? I'd suspect if its been running a decat there is a fair chance its been remapped as well. There is a chance that putting things back to stock may cause issues depending upon the map.

Associate
OP
That's my next port of call. It's definitely been remapped so I'm going to get it flashed back to standard. At the moment it's got too much power and it can't really handle it.

Just need to find the time to get it booked in.

Soldato
How do people get away with decatting their cars? I see so many decat cars at car meets, they sound incredible, but surely they must all know it fails MOT?

It sounds better and it accelerated harder due to less back pressure meaning boost came in a lot harder. MOT wasn't a worry as I had a "friendly" tester, as many will. The only issue you'd have would be if you were in a fault accident and couldn't swap it back out before the insurers got involved, or you had your car impounded by the police and they did a vehicle inspection (or in my case, the latter didn't matter as the copper was clearly blind).

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Very good point, may want to get the AFR checked.
AFR, isn't going to be the problem. EGT is, but even then, it would only be an issue if driven particularly hard.

De-catting is illegal for any post 1992 car. That's why you replace the standard cat with a high flow sport/race 200 cell version if you want to gain performance. You get the benefits of the improved flow rate combined with the fact you know it'll pass an MOT and it is legal to drive on the public highway.

Soldato
That's my next port of call. It's definitely been remapped so I'm going to get it flashed back to standard. At the moment it's got too much power and it can't really handle it.

Just need to find the time to get it booked in.

Unless it's had a huge bump in power a remap alone isn't going to massively change the driving characteristics of the car. Find out what is already on it and whether there is any real issue running it without the decat (unlikely tbh) then save your money

AFR, isn't going to be the problem. EGT is, but even then, it would only be an issue if driven particularly hard.

De-catting is illegal for any post 1992 car. That's why you replace the standard cat with a high flow sport/race 200 cell version if you want to gain performance. You get the benefits of the improved flow rate combined with the fact you know it'll pass an MOT and it is legal to drive on the public highway.

Most 200cel cats are marked for Motorsport use only so they shouldn't really be on either - albeit if it passes emissions it's unlikely to be particularly scrutinised

Associate
How do people get away with decatting their cars? I see so many decat cars at car meets, they sound incredible, but surely they must all know it fails MOT?

Unless of course its easy to remove and put back on, in which case I assume thats what they're doing
Cat on for mot then take it off. Or if they have a mot buddy that will hook another car up to the gas machine to log a pass

Associate
Ahh right, never knew that. Used to old jap rotbox cars myself which run on windows 95 :D
It’s all to do with emissions but a plus is that most of the time the afr is at a word I cannot pronounce or spell lol 14 parts of air to 1 part of fuel, the golden ratio where there’s enough air to completely burn the fuel..... more power. Now the car makers need to concentrate on mass production n/a engines with 100bhp per liter.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Cat on for mot then take it off. Or if they have a mot buddy that will hook another car up to the gas machine to log a pass

I see. So is it easy to just take off and put back on then?

Soldato
It's not a hard job but would get annoying having to do it every year. Plus some cars will produce a CEL (which is also a fail), so you would have to re-tune the car every time.

Back
Top Bottom