• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900KS...

Associate
Yes but that is still HEDT and HEDT board prices, similar to TR.

to be honest i kinda feel Intels entire HEDT line flat as a fart now, they are only just now catching up to Zen + Threadrippers pricing and performance but the world has moved on and you can now get silly core numbers in desktop formats and god knows what madness TR3000 will drop.

Soldato
Intel is pricing these to compete with ryzen 3000 by the look of it rather than threadripper 3000.
For example a 10 or 14 core cascade lake x can't compete with TR3000, it won't have enough cores that much is obvious because TR3000 will be over 16 cores, probably 24+ is my guess.
So what market is left for it? Only the prosumer market, gaming + work. Then it's competing in market and price with 9900ks/3900x. And it's got 72 lanes, AVX-512 support etc.

Permabanned
What's the next good CPU from Intel and when? I'm dying for an upgrade from the 3770K.

Your i7-3770K is roughly equal to my Ryzen 5 2500U 15W.
If you want to upgrade, maybe the best bet would be the Ryzen 7 3700X. It's only 65W which is the thing that makes it worth it.

Soldato
Your i7-3770K is roughly equal to my Ryzen 5 2500U 15W.
If you want to upgrade, maybe the best bet would be the Ryzen 7 3700X. It's only 65W which is the thing that makes it worth it.

Why is that what makes it worth it? The 3800X boosts better because it has a higher TDP so more headroom. I don't understand your argument at all.

Permabanned
Why is that what makes it worth it? The 3800X boosts better because it has a higher TDP so more headroom. I don't understand your argument at all.

Better energy efficiency. I didn't think if the higher boosts worth it because normally they bring negligible performance improvements.

Soldato
You are right, his CPU is only 54W or somewhere around. Well, but he can get double the performance in the same watts.

77W, to be exact.

Anyone looking at higher performance systems I am pretty sure will accept a very slightly higher electricity bill for it. The 3800X is a fantastic chip for what it is.

Back on topic, the 9900KS looks like it'll be quick but price and the fact that it'll be cannibalised by Intel's own 10XXX cpus. I don't know why they are bothering now.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Anyone looking at higher performance systems I am pretty sure will accept a very slightly higher electricity bill for it. The 3800X is a fantastic chip for what it is.

Back on topic, the 9900KS looks like it'll be quick but price and the fact that it'll be cannibalised by Intel's own 10XXX cpus. I don't know why they are bothering now.

I don’t see the point in having a lower whattage cpu myself. Amd certainly don’t think so either since they only state the tdp and not the whatts used. Only time amd and intel say about wattages is in laptop parts when it acctully makes sense:)

as for the 9900ks it’s basically a free cpu that intel can bring out with no design costs and something to give intel some more sales and say we have this product vs the 3900x and being intel it will sell thry Will claw back some sales that would be lost to amd. The 10 series is still a few months away maybe even in q 1 2020 giving amd so long with no response is bad for intel.

altho the new hedt cpu are more interesting since there prices are so low compared to the previous ones and give people who want more cores :)

Soldato
Thought the next one wasn't until 18 months away?

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33055446

Who said that? It's definitely Q1 2020 - the motherboard manufacturers already have Z490 boards in their hands.

Why do you think Intel dropped it's prices today, even though 14nm production is still not great.
Yes there is some pressure from AMD, but also they need to clear stock before the next gen arrives.

V F

V F

Soldato
Who said that? It's definitely Q1 2020 - the motherboard manufacturers already have Z490 boards in their hands.

Why do you think Intel dropped it's prices today, even though 14nm production is still not great.
Yes there is some pressure from AMD, but also they need to clear stock before the next gen arrives.

If that's the case I'm going to hold out?...

Back
Top Bottom