What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
I've been watching some film collections recently. This weekend Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy.

Sean of the Dead 9/10
Hot Fuzz 8/10
The Worlds End 7/10

SotD definitely one of my all time favs but the others just missed it a bit and Worlds End felt a bit too long though actually no longer than SotD

Soldato
I agree, this was a big let down for me. Thought the previous one was pretty decent and had high hopes for a good follow up.

Add me to the list on that one. Personally I think the whole comic book adaptation thing has gone too far (why no stories/characters from Buster, Dandy or the Beano :) ?) - my missus laps this stuff up but it just leaves me cold.

Soldato
Add me to the list on that one. Personally I think the whole comic book adaptation thing has gone too far (why no stories/characters from Buster, Dandy or the Beano :) ?) - my missus laps this stuff up but it just leaves me cold.

I'm with you here. Never really been keen on the whole superhero thing. I tend to pick and choose the odd one to watch.

Unfortunately we are now at a point where nearly every film coming out is some sort of superhero film or reboot or sequel. The lack of variety in films is just shocking now :(

Caporegime
Toy Story 4

As a massive Toy Story fan, I had even massiver (sic) reservations about what I saw as little more than milking a cash-cow. The trilogy ended perfectly, the story was done.

Imagine my surprise when they made another film that actually makes thematic sense with regards to the over all story!

Graphics were delicious, some very funny moments, new ideas that surprised me, and I am not going to lie, I got a bit teary at the end, as it was a proper end.

So well done Pixar for making a quadrilogy where all films are actually good!

7/10

TRASH! :D

Associate
Ready or Not (2019) - 6/10

A very black and gory comedy which tries too hard to be funny and different.

The story’s original, the acting’s good and there are plenty of subversions to expectation, but it all felt a bit forced and staged.

Good, but I didn’t feel as though I’d had fun or enjoyed it by the end.

Soldato
Rambo Last blood

Eugh, cash grab pointless sequel. Silly girl don't listen to adults get herself kidnapped by Mexican whore gang as a set up for Rambo to get revenge. One dimensional characters everywhere, over the top violence for violence sake.

Kind of the point with Rambo films tbh, same as the Fast and Furious franchise, action with little sense to pass 90 mins :)

Aladdin 2019 6/10

It's ok. Lots of colour and well filmed, CGI was rather obvious in places.

Will Smith was Will Smith, he had nothing on Robin Williams as the Genie, it wasn't really that he was bad at it, he was just up against a massive character in the first place. The rest of the characters were a good fit. Not sure there was the need for the whole "trying to suppress a woman's voice' and pushing the whole "females can lead" agenda, seems you can't go 5 minutes now without a girl power reference thrown into anything and everything. We all know women should be heard and respected and they can do a job just as well as men, I just don't see that we need this referencing in every remake/film going. Did the same at the end of the Avengers Endgame, Captain Marvel is probably the most powerful character going but still, there was the need for that all-female section.

my 7-year-old and 5-year-old got bored halfway through.

Hellboy 2019 5/10

I took me 2 attempts to watch this, the introduction with Ian McShane's voiceover was terrible. Wasn't even sure if it was him or a bad impersonation. I wasn't in the mood to watch it if the rest of the film was like that, luckily it wasn't. Much darker than the original releases, very well done overall but it just didn't grab me in the slightest. I am not sure if this was a British film but it felt like it from start to finish, felt more real but at the same time was missing something that the first 2 films had.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Asher

Moody killer, Moody killer falls for nice lady, nice lady falls for moody killer, gets picked on by Moody killers enemy, Moody killer sorts it all out.

It is what it is, 6/10 (nice soundtrack)

Permabanned
It Chapter Two

Didn't like the first one much and disliked this one even more. It's absurd that a movie so long and bloated can feel so immensely hollow, especially when you consider the subject matter of some of it's smaller, more character focused plot points. It's founded on such a cool premise but p****s so much of it away for a cheap laugh or scare. Got no issue with it being aimed at a broad audience, but make some effort for god sake.

Utter dross. The more I think about it the more I dislike it.

Associate
Rambo: Last Blood (2019) - 3/10

A formulaic revenge thriller that is watchable, but has little to recommend.

The story is basic and predictable, the acting (especially from the support cast) is flat and although the action sequence at the end is well done with plenty of explosions and gory violence, it’s too little, too late. There’s no political commentary, no character depth and no suspense, and the setting is stereotypical to a fault.

Caporegime
I watched Sweet Sixteen last night. Found it interesting as it's generally where I'm from and cool to see it on the screen. It's quite of its time, yet still relevant and true to the type of life it portrays.

Strangely compelling. 7.5/10 for me.

Cracking film, used to live in Greenock now and then, acctually about the time I watched it.

Back
Top Bottom