• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
Why? Do you need an upgrade? unless you need 12 cores i would say don't bother, if your 3930K is still serving you well, stick with it.
That's not what I wanted to hear damn it! :D

I'm looking to do a lot of virtualisation and with Overclockers finance offering buy now pay over 12 months (before crazy interest kicks in) it seems a no brainer. Would pay a grand over a year, nothing really. I expect the processor to last me just as long as my 3930k has too.

TrM

TrM

Associate

I'm looking to do a lot of virtualisation and with Overclockers finance offering buy now pay over 12 months (before crazy interest kicks in) it seems a no brainer. Would pay a grand over a year, nothing really. I expect the processor to last me just as long as my 3930k has too.

I can’t see the cpu market settling for a while so CPU’s won’t last as long. Not becouse there not powerful enough or need to be upgraded look at what amd and intel have done in last 3 years and what could happen in the next 3 years :)

Caporegime

lol :D well its a good chip, i mean, i don't know what else to tell you, just do it :)

Soldato
Someone convince me to move from the rig in my signature to a 3900X...
I’m waiting to upgrade my 2700x to a 3900x but I’ll give them 6 months to actually make some, sort the bugs out, sort the clockspeed issues out and sort the pricing out!

Soldato
Pulled the plug on a 3700X, went for the buy now pay over a year option... 3700X will suit me fine for what I want to do :)

Associate
installed my 3900x today.

only set ram to what I had before with my 1700 to compare them directly. MoBo is an MSI X470 gaming m7.

ran a couple of rounds of cinebench R15 - 3102 temp hit a max of 53C max frequency was 4.3 but on an older bios and not touched the PBO yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
What RAM and speed have you set? MSI have been slower than others on the BIOS's particularly for older boards and they are waiting for the next AGESA before writing more. For Ryzen 3000 we are on ABBA now. So AB being current is 2 BIOS's behind. I'd run your RAM at stock for now until a new BIOS arrives. Hardware wise that is the most capable MSI X470 board.

Soldato
Ryzen 3000 is a bit finicky with RAM, particularly on earlier BIOS's. Each BIOS has expanded RAM compatibility. Try the SoC at 1.1v
Make sure you use DRAM calculator and select the correct CPU, chipset, ram & ranks. The values would be different between Zen 1, Zen+ and Zen2.
Also do you use at least 7B77v1B bios? It improves memory compatibility.

Associate
Make sure you use DRAM calculator and select the correct CPU, chipset, ram & ranks. The values would be different between Zen 1, Zen+ and Zen2.
Also do you use at least 7B77v1B bios? It improves memory compatibility.

Not bothering with ram tuning at the moment - running stock speeds.

Caporegime
Is a 1g tube of paste enough for most applications or would it be advisable to get a little more, like 2.5 or 3g size?

(I'm looking to reuse my Noctua cooler).

Back
Top Bottom