Here's my current specs...
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G CPU with Radeon Vega RX Graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte A320 M-H
Ram: 2 x 8GB of HyperX Fury DDR4
SSD/HDD: SSD 120GB, HDD 1TB
GPU: Radeon Vega RX Graphics
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500W 80 Plus
Chassis: Fractal Design

Looking to use a seperate GPU as opposed to an integrated one.

Soldato
Any graphics card will be compatible with your setup - the type of RAM used on the card (DDR, GDDR, 3/4/5/6) isn't a factor in compatibility. It's separate to the RAM used on the motherboard which is DDR4 for you.

The main variable is the PCIe (PCI express) speed, but that is backwards compatible so all cards should work on all motherboards. Just buy what suits your budget/needs.

You may have to disable your integrated graphics driver if using an Nvidia card, I don't know if having both graphics drivers running at the same time works properly. Someone else may know better.

Associate
OP
Any graphics card will be compatible with your setup - the type of RAM used on the card (DDR, GDDR, 3/4/5/6) isn't a factor in compatibility. It's separate to the RAM used on the motherboard which is DDR4 for you.

The main variable is the PCIe (PCI express) speed, but that is backwards compatible so all cards should work on all motherboards. Just buy what suits your budget/needs.

You may have to disable your integrated graphics driver if using an Nvidia card, I don't know if having both graphics drivers running at the same time works properly. Someone else may know better.

Thanks dude.

I was told that all you have to do is input your HDMI cable from the monitor to the new GPU card and use it that way.
I'm using Linux though so wouldn't be suprised if it didn't go smoothly

If anyone could chime in on whether I can run a new GPU instead of the integrated one ?

Last edited:
Associate
No problem adding a discrete GPU to you build.

I would personally go for a used 480 (4gb or 8gb usually go for the same price). You can definitely grab one for 80£ on ebay.

Associate
Yep, agree with others a used RX 470 or RX 480 or RX 570 or RX 580 is perfect for your build. I assume the PSU has enough PCIE power cables.

Associate
OP
Yep, agree with others a used RX 470 or RX 480 or RX 570 or RX 580 is perfect for your build. I assume the PSU has enough PCIE power cables.

SO do they go straight into the mobo or do they require a connection/cable to the PSU ? IF so, does the cable come with it ?

Man of Honour
Thanks dude.

I was told that all you have to do is input your HDMI cable from the monitor to the new GPU card and use it that way.
I'm using Linux though so wouldn't be suprised if it didn't go smoothly

If anyone could chime in on whether I can run a new GPU instead of the integrated one ?

AMD opensource gpu driver is built into linux these days so any AMD card should be plug and play.

Soldato
SO do they go straight into the mobo or do they require a connection/cable to the PSU ? IF so, does the cable come with it ?
The PSU will have the relevant cables. It's Best not to use adapters so generally use whatever the PSU has, or upgrade. Your PSU should have the relevant plugs.

Edit: Cooler Master website says you have two 6+2 pin PCIe power connectors, so that's enough for any single graphics card really.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Some of the GPUs look big and im thinking I'll have to take my LAN card out for it to fit or will it be ok ?
I know it will fit in the case but on my Mobo doesn't look huge

Soldato
I picked up a brand new Powercolor RX580 8GB for £120 via a certain electronic auction website a couple of weeks back, it's well worth shopping around and keeping an eye out. Granted, I had a 20% off voucher, but said website almost always has some sort of voucher at hand.

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom