Obesity is not a choice

Soldato
True, but at the same time many people discount the sugar content entirely, fruit is just good, so eating 3 apples, 2 oranges, and drinking a litre of Innocent smoothie is healthy, when that is very far from the truth. It is just a buttload of sugar, with no where near enough fibre to even vaguely counter that.

Yeah the amount of people I talk to in work that drink smoothies can't understand why they aren't good for you at all, and juice even worse.
Just eat the damn fruit and veg as it is.

Soldato
True, but at the same time many people discount the sugar content entirely, fruit is just good, so eating 3 apples, 2 oranges, and drinking a litre of Innocent smoothie is healthy, when that is very far from the truth. It is just a buttload of sugar, with no where near enough fibre to even vaguely counter that.
Only because of the smoothie though, which has had loads of the fiber removed. Nothing to do with the apples and oranges.

Veg smoothies with no, or just a tiny bit of fruit are much better!

Caporegime
Only because of the smoothie though, which has had loads of the fiber removed. Nothing to do with the apples and oranges.

Veg smoothies with no, or just a tiny bit of fruit are much better!

Veg in general, I don't really see much benefit in fruit, you can get the same vitamins and minerals from veg, without all the unneeded sugar. Also, the satiety of an apple for me is like 10 minutes. :p

If you want something crunchy, sweet, and edible on-the-go, gram for gram carrots win over apples every time, with half the sugar.

Soldato
I get that but it's the principle foe me. Why should I pay more because fat people can't control themselves?

Because you can afford to after the reduction in cost of the healthier subsidised food is taken into account, and if you are already eating a lot of those foods already you might even be in profit.

So good for your wallet and bad for theirs, meaning they must make more sensible choices.

Oh, and less money spent on health care for fatties means more money for health care for everyone, including you and your family.

Soldato
Organic is such a wishy-washily defined term, so I don't buy in to it, and I'd rather grass-fed butter regardless of organic 'status' :p
Mmmm, 100% grass fed butter that is also 100% 'Naturally Organic™' from a diverse agroforestry farm relatively close to home (one might call that 'local'), all freshly made and brought to you on foot by attractive 'hills are alive' type people.. Now that's the dream man! Let's do it world!

I'm still not even sure what the definition of organic is.....

Is it just where they do not use pesticides etc?

Lets not get started on organic, Kroon was right... sorry for bringing it up really... maybe we could put the kettle on and enjoy the conversation in an older thread on the topic, lol.

Caporegime
Mmmm, 100% grass fed butter that is also 100% 'Naturally Organic™' from a diverse agroforestry farming technique, freshly made by attractive 'hills are alive type people'.. Now that's the dream man, let's do it world!

Lets not get started on organic, Kroon was right... sorry for bringing it up really... maybe we could put the kettle on and enjoy the conversation in an older thread on the topic, lol.

I will concede, I did a blind taste of test of tesco standard and organic carrots, and the organics were deffo tastier, bit that doesn't mean it will always be the case.

My eggs will always be free-range though, even if the reality of it doesn't really live up to the imagery it evokes in the mind.

Caporegime
I'm still not even sure what the definition of organic is.....

Is it just where they do not use pesticides etc?

Iirc the old heavy metal based pesticides (copper etc) are "organic" but the newer organophosphates are not considered organic.

Which is more unhealthy I dont know.

But iirc moden pesticides break down quickly and can be easily removed by washing your produce

Caporegime
I will concede, I did a blind taste of test of tesco standard and organic carrots, and the organics were deffo tastier, bit that doesn't mean it will always be the case.

My eggs will always be free-range though, even if the reality of it doesn't really live up to the imagery it evokes in the mind.

Surely Tesco finest and the organic is a more equal comparison

Soldato

Your sentiments are truely admirable, I will conceed that every now and then I smoke a fag and drink a can of coke. Additive free tobbacco only though, would rather die a pirate's death than a marlborough man's! :D

Iirc the old heavy metal based pesticides (copper etc) are "organic" but the newer organophosphates are not considered organic.
It's sad really, as there are more sustainable ways of farming without needing either.

Caporegime
Your sentiments are truely admirable, I will conceed that every now and then I smoke a fag and drink a can of coke. Additive free tobbacco only though, would rather die a pirate's death than a marlborough man's! :D

It's sad really, as there are more sustainable ways of farming without needing either.

"No till" farming is starting to take off massively in the USA now to try and prevent the huge "dustbowls" the intensive farming has created where the land is now useless for even that style.

No till and a more, crap cant remember the word inclusive where you look at all factors not just one? Approach is gaining traction and looks set to really improve things

But as always it's a slow process people are invested in systems and it takes time to love to new ones

Back
Top Bottom