Paris police attack: Four killed by knife-wielding man

Permabanned
"A knife-wielding man has killed four staff at central police headquarters in Paris, French media report.

The attacker, who has not been named but is also said to be a member of staff, was later shot dead by police.

There has been no official statement so far. The area in the île de la Cité - in the centre of Paris - has been sealed off.

The attack comes a day after police went on strike across France over increasing violence towards officers.

It happened at about 13:00 local time (11:00 GMT; 12:00 BST) in the courtyard of the building.

President Emmanuel Macron, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe and Interior Minister Christophe Castaner have all gone to the site.

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo confirmed on Twitter that "several people" had been killed in the attack, which took place near major tourist sites including the Notre-Dame cathedral.

More details bellow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/49921145

Soldato
Just seen this, it's anyone's guess as to the motive atm. Pretty weird how you manage to kill four with a knife though.

Soldato
Never tried it, but I think stabbing works quite well...

Yeh but usually trained officers will have an immediate and forceful response. It's not as easy as you think killing someone with a knife, look at all the stabbing stats compared to deaths, probably 0.01% deaths.

Associate
'BFMTV reports that he stabbed two people inside two offices, one person on a stairway and the fourth person inside the building's courtyard'

sounds fairly plausible, I expect the first few had no idea they were about to be stabbed, also he'd worked there for 20 years.

Soldato
Yeh but usually trained officers will have an immediate and forceful response. It's not as easy as you think killing someone with a knife, look at all the stabbing stats compared to deaths, probably 0.01% deaths.

It's not confirmed if the victims were actual police officers or clerical staff, either way - it wasn't an escaped prisoner going on a rampage. It was a fellow staff member - do you expect your colleagues to stab you in the back? I wouldn't and probably be made sure work of, doesn't take much for a stabbing to become fatal.

Caporegime
It would be unusual for a terror suspect to work somewhere for 20 years before attacking.

Why - are terror suspects supposed to be long term unemployed or something? Terror attacks are unusual in themselves - I don't see what relevance having worked somewhere previously has here though - plenty of terrorists are such as a result of radicalisation and are happy to turn on their own country, neighbours, random people in their town/city etc..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Fort_Hood_shooting

Soldato
sounds fairly plausible, I expect the first few had no idea they were about to be stabbed
This. You see this attitude a lot when it comes to dangerous incidents. People seem to think if there's a guy running around with a knife there's a big flashing orange sign above his head saying "Warning, dangerous knifeman stay away". The reality is that stuff like this happens without passersby even realising what's going on. Remember when Lee Rigby was murdered on the street.. the guy was ranting at someone filming it on a cameraphone, bloody knife in hand and people were just walking past. They probably head headphones on, didn't see the victim, didn't see the knife etc. We're so inured against 'crazy' people on the streets that if someone was ranting and raving you'd probably just walk past and try to ignore them. Completely unaware that they might stab you.

Permabanned
OP
I am not a betting man but as soon as I seen headline in Windows 10 Notification area it did cross my mind and I was about 80% certain but we are not supposed to think like that nowadays.

Caporegime
'The attacker had recently converted to Islam according to the French news channel BFM TV.'
Well there you go.

This true? Doesn't seem to chime with what his colleagues were saying

"I do not think this is a terrorist act," Mr Crepin, who knew the attacker, told Franceinfo Radio.

Police union leader Jean-Marc Bailleul described it as a criminal act, telling BFMTV: "It was a moment of madness."

Back
Top Bottom