Paris police attack: Four killed by knife-wielding man

Caporegime
This true? Doesn't seem to chime with what his colleagues were saying

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...cks-police-officers-Paris-police-station.html

A deaf civilian police worker who had recently converted to Islam was shot dead in Paris today after murdering four colleagues with a ceramic knife following a 'dispute over working with female colleagues'.

Michael Harpon, 45, caused the bloodbath in the French capital's historic Police Prefecture, next door to Notre Dame Cathedral.

Investigators have not ruled out a possible terrorist motivation for the Thursday afternoon attack, which left a woman and three men dead.

All were repeatedly stabbed by Harpon, who had worked in the IT department at the Prefecture since 2003, in the worst loss of French police lives in a single day since World War II.

Harpon had recently been reprimanded by his female boss over his refusal to interact with women, Actu17 reported.

Seem like terrorism could be a possibility here and/or combined with some mental health issues (perhaps the reason for the conversion too).

Soldato
Police unions say there have been more than 50 suicides by police officers since the start of the year.

They blame the rising numbers on difficult working conditions and increasing violence towards police.
:confused:

This seems strange as who the hell thinks of suicide when there not happy at there work place
As most people would just quit there job and find somewhere else to work

Soldato

This seems strange as who the hell thinks of suicide when there not happy at there work place

Nothing strange about it, suicide rates for police officers are quite high. It demands a lot from the person doing the job and depression and other mental health issues such as PTSD can manifest over time.

Soldato

Problem is once you reach a certain age you are kinda stuck in a career/profession. You can re-train to do something else, but it takes time and you're starting from the bottom again.

Soldato
Problem is once you reach a certain age you are kinda stuck in a career/profession. You can re-train to do something else, but it takes time and you're starting from the bottom again.
Maybe am wrong but I do feel a lot of these people would have also suffered from other problems in life outside of work and it was not just there work that pushed them to take there own life..

Associate
Not really terrorism by the sound of it, possibly an issue with Islamic doctrine and their view on women in society conflicting massively with the western view.

Soldato
So just a plain misogynistic attack?

Or to keep things balanced..... enough belief in Islam and it's teachings to convert, that then reinforces the prior misogyny and emboldens them to carry out a plain misogynistic attack that actually has nothing at all to do with Islam?

Soldato

Or to keep things balanced..... enough belief in Islam and it's teachings to convert, that then reinforces the prior misogyny and emboldens them to carry out a plain misogynistic attack that actually has nothing at all to do with Islam?

Pretty much. The man vs women thing goes back a long way, to Adam and Eve.

Caporegime
The wife of a police employee who killed four colleagues at the Paris force's HQ says he had a psychotic episode, was incoherent and heard voices the night before, reports say.

Mickaël Harpon, 45, was shot dead by police at the scene.

French officials are trying to establish a motive for the killings.

Harpon's wife has been taken into custody, although the Paris prosecutor's office says she has not been charged.

Police union officials have suggested that Harpon may have been involved in a workplace dispute.

His wife has apparently told police that he had a disagreement with his bosses and felt his work was unappreciated. Harpon was also described as 70% deaf.

Soldato

Don't bring reasonable thoughts into this!

Caporegime
After changing my definition of what terrorism is based on the Stanwell terrorist incident, this is without doubt a terrorist act.

Oh do get lost, the definition is written as legislated by parliament, i has been that way since 2000.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/11/section/1

Terrorism: interpretation.
(1)In this Act “terrorism” means the use or threat of action where—

(a)the action falls within subsection (2),

(b)the use or threat is designed to influence the government [or an international governmental organisation] or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, and

(c)the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious [racial] or ideological cause.

(2)Action falls within this subsection if it—

(a)involves serious violence against a person,

(b)involves serious damage to property,

(c)endangers a person’s life, other than that of the person committing the action,

(d)creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public, or

(e)is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.

(3)The use or threat of action falling within subsection (2) which involves the use of firearms or explosives is terrorism whether or not subsection (1)(b) is satisfied.

(4)In this section—

(a)“action” includes action outside the United Kingdom,

(b)a reference to any person or to property is a reference to any person, or to property, wherever situated,

(c)a reference to the public includes a reference to the public of a country other than the United Kingdom, and

(d)“the government” means the government of the United Kingdom, of a Part of the United Kingdom or of a country other than the United Kingdom.

(5)In this Act a reference to action taken for the purposes of terrorism includes a reference to action taken for the benefit of a proscribed organisation.

This may be on the thin edge of religious extremism (assuming it's to do with Islam's disdain for women, but other religions have similar issues, for instance Orthodox Judaism, though that's unlikely), and for that it deserves investigation to assert whether that is the case, just like the trial you seem to disagree with did and found correctly that the guy was a right ****, doing exactly the thing described above.

Now i don't know what the French act describes, but i doubt it's much different and i'm not willing to go looking for it... i do not speak French.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure why you are so butthurt @StriderX - I admitted I've changed my views on what or what does not constitute terrorism based on that particular case, I don't need you to quote law. So I'm just judging this situation with the same bar.

Back
Top Bottom