• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
You'd have gotten a better upgrade spending it on GPU rather than CPU

I only play CSGO, and even that's pretty rare these days due to work and life. I want to do some homelab stuff, virtualisation and windows networks for researching stuff so the Ryzen will do me well. I also just wanted to upgrade, i've had this system for years.

Associate
I can’t see the cpu market settling for a while so CPU’s won’t last as long. Not becouse there not powerful enough or need to be upgraded look at what amd and intel have done in last 3 years and what could happen in the next 3 years :)

Surely regardless of what happens, the 3600 and above will be good for at least 4-5yrs..

Associate
Have to say I’m not currently enjoying my 3900x experience. Slow to start up and shut down. Graphics driver doesn’t seem to want to work, applications are slow to load, slow to do anything (Vegas in particular)

Soldato
Have to say I’m not currently enjoying my 3900x experience. Slow to start up and shut down. Graphics driver doesn’t seem to want to work, applications are slow to load, slow to do anything (Vegas in particular)
Unfortunate as that's the exact opposite to me. My boots up and shuts down fast and everything is very snappy. The video work I do is also extremely good.

What motherboard do you have and which operating system? What hard drive?

Associate
Unfortunate as that's the exact opposite to me. My boots up and shuts down fast and everything is very snappy. The video work I do is also extremely good.

What motherboard do you have and which operating system? What hard drive?

What board and BIOS out of interest?

windows 7; msi x470 gaming m7; bios is AB; boots off an SSD and was great before I changed bios/chip

Speed of video render is very good compared to my 1700 though. I'm assuming its just the crapy bios

Soldato
windows 7; msi x470 gaming m7; bios is AB; boots off an SSD and was great before I changed bios/chip

Speed of video render is very good compared to my 1700 though. I'm assuming its just the crapy bios

aye win10 and get the abba when it is available
i thought msi had updated their whole range, the tomahawk has an abba bios

Associate

Yep Windows 7 is your prob. Doesnt seem 3900X is optimized for it when it comes to boot. My 2700X boots in about 9 secs to desktop W10 (and it's usable after 9 seconds not just a laggy or unresponsive screen).

Associate
Yep Windows 7 is your prob. Doesnt seem 3900X is optimized for it when it comes to boot. My 2700X boots in about 9 secs to desktop W10 (and it's usable after 9 seconds not just a laggy or unresponsive screen).

it will continue to be my problem then - I hate windows 10.

ABBA not released on my board yet. its on the X370 gaming plus at the moment so should come to mine eventually.

been playing with the CCX's. running one at 4.4ghz 1.35v not tried both yet

Soldato
Windows 7 is junk, common 10 is far better

as long as you're on 7 you will continue to sacrifice performance and it can only get worse as time goes on

Associate

ABBA not released on my board yet. its on the X370 gaming plus at the moment so should come to mine eventually.

The current release of Windows 10 is much better than early versions, with a clean install I’ve had very few problems. Microsoft/AMD did a lot of work on the scheduler for 1903 to improve the performance of the 3000 series. And come January 2020 7 is out of support so you are potentially leaving yourself open to vulnerabilities in the OS.

Soldato

Yeah, there were many things I also disliked about Win10 but pretty much everything that I preferred in Win7 I have now in Win10.
I use Start10 to get the menu back the way I like and 8GadgetPack to get back the gadgets I found usedful.

You really are hampering yourself by still using Win7 with Ryzen. So much so that you'd be better off/have a more responsive system by going back to older hardware. Your 'lack of enjoyment' is rather self inflicted and overclocking or playing around with the CCX's is probably not going to help much.

Soldato

a) Consider Linux (Fedora 31 at the end of the month or Ubuntu 19.10 at the end of the month also)
b) You hampering the CPU. All we learn is to leave the CPU do it's thing and not restrict it. With ABBA bios I get 4625 x 1, 4600 x 2, 4550 x 2, 4500 x 1 on CCD0 and 4400 flat all 6 cores on CCD1.
No further tweaking needed. If you do not want to run the CPU like that, the best next thing, in bios set the CPU offset to -0.050mv

Last edited:
Associate

It's like getting a Ferrari and running it on budget tyres - you're not giving it a chance to perform the way it can.

Soldato
A bright spark of helpful, joyous happiness in every response.

I am really pleased with my first ryzen experience, 3600, on a tomahawk max with 8pack ram, and it's just running smooth and lovely under windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom