Is the MMORPG dead or dying?

Man of Honour
EVE went into a cesspit when it became P2W, almost 13 years ago. Until that point it was fantastic game. The economy was working properly and each alliance was actually working and expanding based of the common effort.

Since PLEX P2W was added into the game, any alliance with deep pockets was making gazillions converting from real money, removing from the game any opponent that couldn't keep up spending real money.

Removing from the game opponents who lacked flexibility or vision. There is much more to Eve than just nullsec. That said I quit over 4 years ago now and have no intention of going back especially with the trajectory it has taken lately.

Soldato
+1 for UO, best MMORPG ever and one of many games ruined by EA.

When split to "carebear safe zone", the game died for me :(

Yeah, the worst thing that happened to MMO's was the level system being implemented.

Ultima Online was one of my first MMO's, 20 years ago now. No levelling system in place, if you wanted to be a master blacksmith you'd go and spend hours mining building up your mining experience, then you'd go and work with all that ore and build you blacksmithing/armour/weapon crafting skills until you were a master. Master meant something then, and everyone was different.

Same with SWG, skill-based system was great. Master animal trainer, obtained by spending hours training creatures. You know it was a grind, but with a good guild, it was always fun. SWG was ruined when they changed it to a class based system. screw you if you'd spent 3 months becoming a jedi, now you could be one from the start. :(

UO. Best MMORPG until Darkfall. How many hours spend with mates training shield & sword. Or getting the boat to an island hill for mining and running when reds appeared with their death robes and halberds.
Or when we had to learn the skill to tame animals and even dragons :(

Or who can forget the treasure hunting in the middle of the area, and then you realise the near by village was a German PK guild :D
(played on Drachenfels because from Greece in 1997-2000 had better ping to Germany than Britain where Europa was hosted)

Ahh the memories.

Soldato
Removing from the game opponents who lacked flexibility or vision. There is much more to Eve than just nullsec. That said I quit over 4 years ago now and have no intention of going back especially with the trajectory it has taken lately.

Yeah. I tried to play few years back when it became F2P and gave up. Not having access to 3/4 of my skills in F2P mode was pathetic, regardless if had paid for years the sub to get them.

Man of Honour
Yeah. I tried to play few years back when it became F2P and gave up. Not having access to 3/4 of my skills in F2P mode was pathetic, regardless if had paid for years the sub to get them.

To be fair I probably would play now and again if it went fully free to play but I can't justify the time or money with the way the game has gone to play it seriously and be worth subscribing. I jump in now and again as an alpha to catch up with old acquaintances.

None the less though the game needs to reclaim some of the hardcore elements it once had even if the central part of the game is more casual friendly.

Soldato
To be fair I probably would play now and again if it went fully free to play but I can't justify the time or money with the way the game has gone to play it seriously and be worth subscribing. I jump in now and again as an alpha to catch up with old acquaintances.

None the less though the game needs to reclaim some of the hardcore elements it once had even if the central part of the game is more casual friendly.

Yep. :(

Soldato
I'm currently playing GW2, ESO, BDO, and recently joined AO.

In the old days I dabbled in UO and then in between then and now I tried WOW. Also tried millions of asian-made mmos.

I think a big problem in mmo's is that certain aspects of the game aren't fully explored. Crafting being the main one. In some games it feels like an addon, while in other games it feels like an over complicated grind.

I think the reason games swing to pvp is because its easier to make. There doesn't need to be much storytelling, no npc's are needed, no quests (or very few). It's just making a map and throwing people in. The only thing the developers have to do is keep managing the different characters abilities etc. That is the trouble with multiplayer functions in any game, it can make a bad game seem reasonably good .i.e. the battle royale idea that's been duplicated in many games.

I'd like to see some new ideas coming in future games. It's been the bane of our era that very few games branch off with their own ideas. We need more originality.

Soldato
Although I am not a fan of the recent direction Star Trek Online has taken it seems to be doing really well and after 10 years STO is growing. Could it have even overtaken Eve Online? Neverwinter seems healthy as well. While not a full MMORPG The Division 1 and 2 share a lot of MMORPG elements and are good.

Soldato
The Division is really well put together I think - and looks stunning at night in the snow.

I enjoyed playing it briefly, but it really did become a grind for better gear with nothing else to add. I've not played the second but imagine it's the same.

I'm surprised we've not got a Ocuk UO server going where people can just drop in but maybe it's just too much of a grind that it won't be popular.

Soldato
Indeed I miss the UO and SWG days, both games got ruined. UO was one of those games that was ahead of its time with the joy of playing a sub based game on a 56k modem haha! Take me back to Moonglow any day!

Soldato
Indeed I miss the UO and SWG days, both games got ruined. UO was one of those games that was ahead of its time with the joy of playing a sub based game on a 56k modem haha! Take me back to Moonglow any day!

Lucky you. 28800 modem, as anything better was useless in Greece at that time and couldn't connect over 19400 either way :D

Man of Honour
The Division is really well put together I think - and looks stunning at night in the snow.

The Division really ham-strings itself compared to what it could have been and has lots of stunning locations you have almost zero reason to actually visit let alone do anything at :( the global events make the grind more bearable but only come along now and again. Some stuff it does really well though where other games fall down but sadly they didn't manage to extend that throughout every aspect of the game never mind TD2 where they undid a lot of what TD1 did well :(

Man of Honour
Ah, shame to hear The Division falls down a bit (only played about 8 hours).

I've put quite a few hours into TD1 and still play it fairly often but it certainly could have been a much better game the potential is all there. TD2 I can't get into at all - hate the movement, hate the UI, hate the mechanics it all feels like a step back to me compared to TD1 and/or just moved things around for the sake of it because it is a "new" game.

Back
Top Bottom