• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
Ladies and gents, we have our third confirmation of NVIDIA’s Ampere-based graphics card launching in 2020. While we previously knew they were going to launch in 2020, we didn’t know which half and thanks to the report by Igor’sLab we know it’s going to be sooner rather than later. Leaked EEC certification and a report by Taiwan’s top tech publication Digitimes puts the Ampere graphics card on Samsung’s 7nm node and will represent a significant performance upgrade over Turing counterparts.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-next-generation-ampere-7nm-graphics-cards-landing-1h-2020/

Soldato
Cyberpunk 2077 on 7nm 3080ti here we come!

50 to 80% performance boost and proper ray tracing, going to be a great generation is my prediction

Permabanned
Cyberpunk 2077 on 7nm 3080ti here we come!

50 to 80% performance boost and proper ray tracing, going to be a great generation is my prediction

Those ^^^ performance boosts only at comparable die sizes. Don't forget that all the Turing chips are gigantic, and Samsung won't be ready to produce a 754 sq.mm GA100 on the 7nm...

Permabanned
Don't! ;)

Imagine the RTX 3080 10% faster than RTX 2080 Ti costing ONLY :D £1199 for the FE... lol

These prices are not for us. They are for very rich celebrities - football players with millions of pounds annual salaries ;)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well if it goes by the current trends it will be about equal to a 2080ti. It will also be another new series so with the 3080 name comes another 24monthly $100 price hike so base prices could be £799 for Palit and blower cards i think this would be the minimum price in the UK so MSRP $799 worldwide.

The questions i have is will they chance the +£100, Will the base ram on the 3080 be 8gb or 11gb? And will Raytracing be better than the 2080ti? Sure RT might get a tiny tiny boost but i guarantee outside of RT it will be the 2080ti in all but name. The only compelling thing i can think of here for a 2080ti owner is HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4a!

Permabanned
We have previously heard of NVIDIA’s Ampere GPUs when they passed their EEC certification, but nothing more came up since then. Now, however, we have a tentative timeline: they will be launching in 2020. It is highly likely that NVIDIA will continue with their RTX philosophy and take that to the next level with Ampere. Right now, the Turing GPU is capable of raytracing at 1080p 30 fps for light to moderate path ray tracing workloads. The Ampere GPU will be able to go further.
:D

Permabanned

Shame of them! They must admit that their "ray-tracing support" is of extremely low quality - pre-alpha in development.
They shouldn't even bother to release it for the public in that poor shape.

We are perfectly fine without "ray-tracing".

Soldato
Already put money aside for one, no more waiting around. Still have a hope for AMD showing something but I resigned myself that it's probably gonna be the first non-Radeon gpu I buy since the good ol' voodoo 2 days. The only thing that would give me pause is a POS measly 11gb vram again. I really hope that's not the case because I'm looking forward to seeing Prague in 8K even if at 30fps (DXMD).

Permabanned
Already put money aside for one, no more waiting around. Still have a hope for AMD showing something but I resigned myself that it's probably gonna be the first non-Radeon gpu I buy since the good ol' voodoo 2 days. The only thing that would give me pause is a POS measly 11gb vram again. I really hope that's not the case because I'm looking forward to seeing Prague in 8K even if at 30fps (DXMD).

What do you want it for though if you want that performance now its there as a 2080ti just pay £1100 now versus £800 in 12 months. The Super just launched so it will be this time 2020 before stock of the extremely limited and cough expensive 3080 come into stock. Post Brexit it will be £800 mark my words i will bet on this as the 2080 was £700?

If you want the increases RT perf from that new generation or hdmi 2.1 etc sure buy one but the RT bit would be dumb you would be best served to put RT based games on the backburner for a few years until RT matures and they can be played at 4k 60fps. Now if you think Nvidia will go from Quake 2 1080p 30fps to 4k 30fps in one generation i have to inform you that it is PURE FANTASY bordering on the delusional.

Proper Raytracing at 4k 60hz is 5years away for decent visual fidelity not Minecraft or Quake 2. So why wait for the 3080 i think the 3080 at £800 will stink, You will not want to pay £1300 for a 3080ti so you see suddenly 2080ti at £900-£1100 the unthinkable becomes thinkable. :)

Man of Honour
Now if you think Nvidia will go from Quake 2 1080p 30fps to 4k 30fps in one generation i have to inform you that it is PURE FANTASY bordering on the delusional.

You might just eat those words.

Proper Raytracing at 4k 60hz is 5years away for decent visual fidelity not Minecraft or Quake 2. So why wait for the 3080 i think the 3080 at £800 will stink, You will not want to pay £1300 for a 3080ti so you see suddenly 2080ti at £900-£1100 the unthinkable becomes thinkable. :)

Proper as in full screen, full scene tracing with high ray count per pixel is probably more than 5 years away at pretty much anything other than postage stamp resolution but pretty respectable quality path tracing implementations are within grasp.

Quake 2's path tracing implementation is as far as it goes the real deal - sure only sun light has anything like proper bounced lighting and is constrained heavily so you don't dump performance in complex radiosity, etc., caustics are approximated with limited bounces again but that is fine for video game visuals - just needs a bit more performance to overcome the noise with both higher framerates to mask the temporal nature of the sampling and higher ray count. The only thing that prevents it producing results of the kind of visual fidelity of a ray traced scene is that you still have all the geometry limitations of a 20+ year old game engine that was a pioneer of its day - the engine doesn't even support static meshes, etc. for high quality props.

Permabanned
You might just eat those words.

Proper as in full screen, full scene tracing with high ray count per pixel is probably more than 5 years away at pretty much anything other than postage stamp resolution but pretty respectable quality path tracing implementations are within grasp.

Quake 2's path tracing implementation is as far as it goes the real deal - sure only sun light has anything like proper bounced lighting and is constrained heavily so you don't dump performance in complex radiosity, etc., caustics are approximated with limited bounces again but that is fine for video game visuals - just needs a bit more performance to overcome the noise with both higher framerates to mask the temporal nature of the sampling and higher ray count. The only thing that prevents it producing results of the kind of visual fidelity of a ray traced scene is that you still have all the geometry limitations of a 20+ year old game engine that was a pioneer of its day - the engine doesn't even support static meshes, etc. for high quality props.

Yep proper fullscreen is how they should do it, I mean i like the Witcher 3 but only when at 4k so my eyes are not burning with the pixel shimmering. 60hz also is not really that good either it has a lot of blur 16.7ms of it so if people want to freeze graphics in 2019 and add RT its going to hurt.

Five years easily for Witcher 3 fake RT, True pathtracing? I would not like to say but its.obvious no one will step back to Quake 2 era or even HL2 era. They want Witcher level Raytracing i do too so for me RT cores are these things i have to buy but never actually use.

Man of Honour
Five years easily for Witcher 3 fake RT, True pathtracing? I would not like to say but its.obvious no one will step back to Quake 2 era or even HL2 era. They want Witcher level Raytracing i do too so for me RT cores are these things i have to buy but never actually use.

People vastly underestimate the implementation in Quake 2 - because there is no way to do the renderer justice without basically re-writing the whole engine from scratch and most existing games have far too much DX11 special casing to easily implement it without someone having to rebuild all the levels to light properly, etc. The path tracing RTX implementation used in Quake 2 is actually pretty decent.

Unfortunately the stock RTX materials library in Quake 2 is also lacking anything other than the industrial assets of Quake 2 as well which makes it harder to show off in other settings.

Soldato
Considering how tight 7nm capacity is (https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/appl...1-production-a13-7nm-tsmc-amd,news-61817.html) do not expect to see either a good price or a good supply.
It is why nVidia moved some production to Samsung and has been evaluating availability. That is likely to hit AMD more than nVidia.

The article make assumptions and generalizations. While points the fab the A13 is made forgets to say where AMD products are made. (completely different fabs)

Also AMD is moving to 7nm EUV in the new year (different fab) in addition there are talks to use Samsung for some of the 7nm EUV products. (most likely the consoles).

Back
Top Bottom