What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Fast & Furious : Hobbs and Shaw - 6/10 - For a franchise based around a few car thieves we're now upto James Bond Mega-Villain territory with this film. Both leads have good chemistry and work well off each other, the sister is played really well by Kirby and Elba is always entertaining if a bit "generic" for a part man/part machine but the multitude of cameos were my favourite parts. My biggest negative, despite finding the film a fairly pleasing "switch off brain" type, was that the whole 45+ minute third act on Samoa could have been scrapped and the same "last 5 minutes" ending just been tacked onto the Russia section (making the whole film 1hr30mins) and nothing would really be any different.

Associate
Joker (2019) - 9/10

An impressive origin story of the Joker which will really make you empathise with the character.

Superb acting, great music and a strong, balanced plot which successfully builds up the tension for the predictably shocking grand finale.

The story is tragic, darkly comical, and stylishly put together, although they could have done more to make the city feel like Gotham.

Soldato
Could we have a agreement that we all state the source where we've watched a film? I love it when I know I can just hop on Netflix/Amazon/etc and know I can find a film that's been recommended in here. Sometimes I'm struggling to find anywhere to watch some of the older stuff :(

I watched Joker at the cinema today and while it was good, don't let the critics get your expectations up too high. It's around a 7/10 for me.

Caporegime
Joker. My only non-spoilery review and thoughts for now are a very strong...thumbs up!

Went to the local IMAX to see this, and boy am I glad I did.

Overall I tried to keep my expectations low. I had been looking forward to this since I saw the first trailer yonks ago. I also knew that the critics were mostly raving about it whilst trying to avoid specifics. I wanted to go into this blind with a reasonable expectation and keep my mind open. In my head I was certain this movie wouldn't be what I expected.

And what I expected was a kind of action flick of sorts, and really...it isn't. At times the movie is downright uncomfortable to watch, with some incredibly well placed EXTREMELY dark/inappropriate humour (which I am not against day to day at all, but it adds to the "omg" factor which keeps occurring throughout the flick.

The movie did shock me multiple times, for me it was

- The sign to the face
- Shooting of the 3 stooges on the train
- Locking the door so the dwarf guy couldn't leave

I think they portrayed an immensely complex character with amazing finesse, he was depicted just trying to be a caring almost average everyday Joe Bloggs but clearly battling with so much inside his own head as he begins to slowly circle the drain and dissolve into chaos whilst just trying to be happy. As others have said...you seriously can sympathise with the guy and frankly...it is no wonder he is the way he is.

I thought all the cast were very well done except Alfred, cocked up there. The twist at the end was something else, interlocking the fates of Joker & inevitably Batman forever.

The soundtrack with the chellos for this movie were just so so immersive and worked really well. Joaquin's performance was outstanding, when he was being carted off in the police car and he was leaning against the window...the look they had for him was just so beautifully well done, for a second I really thought it was Heath Ledger in there. He completely owned this role in what is almost a scary way.

The cinematography was great as well coupled with fantastic pacing.

Overall...I was not disappointed. It all just fell together so well for me, I loved it!

Associate
Battle for Sevastopol (2015) 8.0

The story about a female Russian Sniper, Lyudmila Pavlichenko credited with 309 kills. From an action perspective, it could have done with more sniper scenes, only because the sequences which feature are very good.

Seriously makes you think about the heroism and sacrifice soldiers who fought on the Eastern Front.

If you like war films, its definitely worth a watch and a better film than recent Hollywood WW2 offerings.

Soldato
Gremlins - 8/10 awesome!!!

Watching 80's stuff with the kids and yes, the puppets, strings etc are very noticeable now, but the story, characters, and all the attention to detail in sets etc were really engaging - oh and the kids loved it.

Gremlins 2 next.

Soldato
Fast & Furious : Hobbs and Shaw - 6/10 - For a franchise based around a few car thieves we're now upto James Bond Mega-Villain territory with this film. Both leads have good chemistry and work well off each other, the sister is played really well by Kirby and Elba is always entertaining if a bit "generic" for a part man/part machine but the multitude of cameos were my favourite parts. My biggest negative, despite finding the film a fairly pleasing "switch off brain" type, was that the whole 45+ minute third act on Samoa could have been scrapped and the same "last 5 minutes" ending just been tacked onto the Russia section (making the whole film 1hr30mins) and nothing would really be any different.
I had read before the movie came out that the Samoa scenes were meant to be much earlier in the film and not as long but after looking at it they decided to change to whole section and move it later on.

Soldato
Fast & Furious : Hobbs and Shaw - 7/10
I'm probably more easily pleased than most. I really enjoyed the over the top action. As said, the two work well together. I assume we'll see many more sequels.

Soldato
In the tall grass 6/10
Based on a Steven King short story, this is actually a pretty decent little horror film. Worth a watch.

Angel of mine 6/10
Decent enough drama but let down badly by a predictable ending. Noomi Rapace always worth a watch though.

Hotel Mumbai 7/10
Pretty harrowing retelling of the 2008 terror attacks. Quite upsetting to know this actually happened, but a very good film.

Back
Top Bottom