Penalty charge notice dispute

Soldato
So yesterday I got a ticket for parking out front of my own house. Until today I had no idea our stretch of the road was permitted. here some photos of the issue. It was a penalty charge as well issued by the council themselves.

I've parked on my road a handful of times as we only have the one car and a big drive. However my other half has the pool car from work atm so I had to take my car off the drive so she could get to work that morning and I just left it parked up.

UQytjLK.jpg

The blue mark is where I had parked my car, you can see it is now on my drive

ipttDlX.jpg

This is to the left as you can see no signs anywhere. The only sign I can see I forgot to picture is after the junction on the other side of the road. Also on the hedge corner by the white car is a sign saying permit zone end.

A3CCqwJ.jpg

This is to the right, again no permit signs however that tiny sign I have highlighted in blue says zone ends but states no restrictions. This is the first time I've noticed this sign.

Po2zQy8.jpg

other side of the road still nothing.

xHoBBM5.jpg

Except where I've highlighted red but thats a different road and still far enough away no normal person would look for it. Again these signs I have only spotted today.

I've never had a ticket before but I feel like this is clear contention for appealing the ticket. I will also now be applying for a permit. Am I right to think this? If so anything specific I should say in my appeal?

Soldato
Sounds like it is very confusing, I'd appeal since it costs nothing and get an overhead map view, mark the position of each sign, then show close ups of each sign (assume the reader knows nothing about your road) and be polite with your reasoning. I sense from the lecturing responses I've had when appealing (even though the appeal was upheld!) that they get people trying it on all the time when it's obvious they where in the wrong.

Soldato
how long have you lived there ? to not have had a conversation with neighbours, about signs, and infrequent use of on road parking.

if it's a permit zone, at least in Cambridge, they're at the entrance to the zone, without many repeaters; like the 20mph zones, you're in it, until they tell you otherwise.

Soldato
Was permitting not mentioned when you either commenced rental or bought the house?

That's the sort of thing I would expect to come up during a house purchase or rental - I imagine the council will no doubt suggest the same thing, regardless of signage, surely you knew your own street was permitted?

In fact, i'd be tempted to avoid mentioning (or at least highlighting) you actually live on the road if you're going to argue it on the signage basis, as it just opens a potential avenue for them to be awkward and argue about it.

Soldato
Since you live there, do you really want them to put up loads of signs along that stretch of road? Looks like a nice uncluttered road.

Soldato
Since you live there, do you really want them to put up loads of signs along that stretch of road? Looks like a nice uncluttered road.

Hmm...

£60ish fine
vs
The slight possibility that they come out and put more signs up which will have 0 noticeable impact on your life

I'll go with door number 2 please!

Soldato
Hmm...

£60ish fine
vs
The slight possibility that they come out and put more signs up which will have 0 noticeable impact on your life

I'll go with door number 2 please!

It's not a slight chance. If the signage is indeed inadequate they will fix it.

Back
Top Bottom