Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
Does anyone know if Oculus link works with a USB3 A-C cable as my desktop doesn't have USB-C?

Actually, from a quick check on Google it like like it will work with USB A-C.

Last edited:
Soldato
what's a good price for a 2nd hand Quest? any reports of design issues (eg the right audio on cv1)

Nothing deal breaking. I think theres slight variation in the fan noise of the Quest but its neglible to anyone who doesn't have OCD.

64GB quest for £300 (25% off) would be very decent.

The truth is with Oculus Link, the Quest is now worth RRP and then some. We're getting a portable VR headset which can act as a vive pro equivalent resoluition and black level response when tethered, tried to the Oculus platform which hopefully gives us access to ASW when tethered which in some games is like Witchcraft. Its portble and can be used by itself or with multiple different PCs with the tethered experience. The wire is the thinnest and least intrusive of ALL the other VR headsets which is a MASSIVE deal as the others are very thick and horrible. The touch controllers are also excellent and top-tier.

Its main weakness is the audio solution.

Soldato
Its main weakness is the audio solution.

I seem to be alone in this but I think the audio setup on the Quest is pretty decent. I actually prefer it to having to wear in/over ear headphones.

My only complaint is the lack of comfort for lengthy gaming sessions are the unit is overly front heavy and the standard headstrap to lightweight to really take the weight.

Everything else about the Quest is spot on though. If the Oculus link cable works as expected then it'll be the best headset on the market by a long way.

Soldato
72hz still feels pretty good - no noticeable flicker. The main thing is you notice the controller tracking isn't quite as smooth as at 90hz. Most experiences on the Quest will maintain a solid 72fps, which is the biggest factor in avoiding motion sickness. There are a few which don't, though.

Soldato
My biggest question about the quest is what does the 72hz feel like?

I'm very susceptible to motion and in low fps games I get pretty bad motion sickness.
I mean the 72hz on quest seems ok to me but it’s hard to ascertain as the actual frame rate on quest tanks sometimes which I think some ppl mistake for the refresh rate.

I’m more sensitive to big thick disgusting wires which the rift s and index have, which weighs me down, than the refresh rate

Soldato
i get motion sickness in a couple of fps games, the major one being metro i have had no issues so far on the quest. defo try and see if you cant get a lengthy demo

Soldato
With Beat Sabre being such a killer app wouldn't it be wise for Facebook to put their hand in the pocket and work out a licencing agreement with a music service. A long shot of I don't know how's, but it's the no1 system seller imo. Normally I would say that they could curate an audience coming in behind a dlc paywall, but the newer audience that are coming in to VR with the Quest are doing so watching the streamers and youtubers playing those custom songs, there will be disappointment.

The custom songs I really, really like through my pc, I would gladly drop a couple of quid on each.

Soldato
OP
With Beat Sabre being such a killer app wouldn't it be wise for Facebook to put their hand in the pocket and work out a licencing agreement with a music service. A long shot of I don't know how's, but it's the no1 system seller imo. Normally I would say that they could curate an audience coming in behind a dlc paywall, but the newer audience that are coming in to VR with the Quest are doing so watching the streamers and youtubers playing those custom songs, there will be disappointment.

The custom songs I really, really like through my pc, I would gladly drop a couple of quid on each.

Facebook doesn't own it, Beat Games do and they must be earning a packet off drip-feeding licenced music packs and pleased as punch that this has happened. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a word in OF ear about the new TOS since they have the biggest selling title on their platform and storefront.

Soldato
Sure I get that they don't own it. But when there's money on the table it's in the general interests of all parties to work something out. I'm sure that the dlc packs are selling, but could they make more by licencing a music service, would the product (beat sabre) be more appealing with a custom library, would it sell more quests....

Until something comes a long to trump Beat Sabre, it's in the interests of all I would have thought.

Soldato
OP
Sure I get that they don't own it. But when there's money on the table it's in the general interests of all parties to work something out. I'm sure that the dlc packs are selling, but could they make more by licencing a music service, would the product (beat sabre) be more appealing with a custom library, would it sell more quests....

Until something comes a long to trump Beat Sabre, it's in the interests of all I would have thought.
Whose going to make the beat maps for all the songs available on the streaming service, this is done by the community on a popularity basis at the moment and quality varies tremendously.

According to Oculus they are selling Quest as fast as they make them.

Back
Top Bottom