Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Looking at a FN2 as a replacement for my Mercedes C220CDI Sport. Will use it only during the weekend, mainly driving smaller and occasionally B roads. Living in South East London means speed bump galore, is the FN2's ride as hard and bad as people say? Also as VTEC needs to be revved to enjoy it, power wise, is the FN2 at low revs quite slow when driving around town/ city?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
It's about as quick as any NA 2 litre. Not slow but it does need to be higher in the rev range to really make the power.

I liken it to having 150bhp upto the VTEC changeover, but there's a bit more torque than the 1.8 R18 with just 140bhp.

Gears are long so they do need higher revs which some find jarring coming from a lazy diesel however I never found it tiring. They're rewarding to drive.

The chassis isn't as stiff as the EP3 but the suspension combined with the 18" wheels do make for a tough ride at times but the seats are really very comfortable. Although I've never sampled it, lighter 17" wheels and tyres to suit a similar rolling radius can make all the difference but you might not see issue with it as standard depending on what you're used to. Certainly will feel crashy Vs the Merc.

Associate
power wise, is the FN2 at low revs quite slow when driving around town/ city?
If a 60-100hp eco car can trod along a city then a 2.0 198bhp car can definitely trod along, just the clutch pedal may not be as light and springy like a eco car or the steering wheel won't be as light as a feather.

Man of Honour
Looking at a FN2 as a replacement for my Mercedes C220CDI Sport. Will use it only during the weekend, mainly driving smaller and occasionally B roads. Living in South East London means speed bump galore, is the FN2's ride as hard and bad as people say? Also as VTEC needs to be revved to enjoy it, power wise, is the FN2 at low revs quite slow when driving around town/ city?
You can drive it around a city like any normal car - I find it very light and easy to drive around town, and happily trundle about in 5th or 6th. It's nothing like a diesel, bear that in mind.
The suspension is a bit bouncy rather than crashy in my opinion, it will definitely feel bouncy compared to the Merc (mine's on 19s which really doesn't help)

Soldato
Thank you for the replies. I thought city driving shouldn't be too much of an issue but started to doubt myself after reading a lot about the lack of power below high revs.

I guess I better test drive the FN2 to see if I'm happy with the ride, I must admit I do like the ride of the Merc but as I'm looking for a hot hatch anyways I don't think any of them would be on par with it. :p

Soldato
Wasn't it the champion white edition cars got LSDs?

Talking about the FN, I drove my first one today, albeit the 2.2 diesel, that spoiler going through the middle of the back window is a pain ain't it? and I must say i'm not a fan of the space aged dash cluster either.

Associate
Wasn't it the champion white edition cars got LSDs?

Talking about the FN, I drove my first one today, albeit the 2.2 diesel, that spoiler going through the middle of the back window is a pain ain't it? and I must say i'm not a fan of the space aged dash cluster either.

Takes a while to get used to it. Its great for blocking out unaligned dipped beams or mega bright lights from SUVs

Back
Top Bottom