dodgey school maths?

Soldato
I'm confused at what purpose that piece of homework actually serves. I've actually noticed a number of errors in the past week, even on documents that on the surface are as simple as the example in the OP and this is a top 5 UK uni. I get that people are busy, but a fast skim read is all it takes.

Soldato
Bond numbers help with mental arithmetic. A lot of Y1 kids will still be adding by counting balloons or bananas, doing calculations written like that is ‘relatively’ advanced.

Associate
Practise is the verb so it was the correct use as the student is being asked to do an activity.

Ah ok - see I thought I'd double check so found the following on https://www.dictionary.com/e/practice-vs-practise/.

'The verb practice/practise
In American English, practice is also used as the verb. It means “to do something repeatedly in order to master it” or “to pursue as an occupation or art.” So a churchgoer can practice their religion, just as a student might practice the violin.

In British English, the verb form of the word is rendered as practise. So in the above examples, our churchgoer practises their religion, while our student practices their instrument. This convention is true of British, Canadian, and Australian English.'

It was the bit at the end 'our student practices their instrument' that has me confused!

Soldato
Ah ok - see I thought I'd double check so found the following on https://www.dictionary.com/e/practice-vs-practise/.

'The verb practice/practise
In American English, practice is also used as the verb. It means “to do something repeatedly in order to master it” or “to pursue as an occupation or art.” So a churchgoer can practice their religion, just as a student might practice the violin.

In British English, the verb form of the word is rendered as practise. So in the above examples, our churchgoer practises their religion, while our student practices their instrument. This convention is true of British, Canadian, and Australian English.'

It was the bit at the end 'our student practices their instrument' that has me confused!

It’s not easy and as you say explanations often make it more confusing. The easiest way I try to think of it is from the verb perspective; if someone is doing something (an action) then it’s spelt with an S.

“In a doctor's practice they practise medicine”

When you’re talking about the act of someone doing something it becomes a verb.

Soldato
woman.thumbnail.jpg

Back
Top Bottom