Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
Compared to the Discovery trailer that has just dropped, this has actual good actors, characters we care about, and there's an ensemble rather than trying to hang it all on a single Mary-Sue. They haven't forgotten that Picard was the captain of a crew, not just himself saving the day each episode.

Last edited:
Soldato
I should say, this still has Kurtzman at the helm don't forget - the same guy running Discovery, the same guy responsible for ripping off the plot of a video game then desperately about-facing when he realised just how badly he screwed it all up...

Caporegime
31nRppD.jpg y9Cdhzj.jpg

Data vs how he looked in nemesis, not sure what they're doing but it looks like he's pulling a Marlon Brando with stuffing in his cheeks. Hairline looks off as well. Yes obviously spiner is older but it looks like they've tried to de-age him with prosthetics and went over the top. Data only ever was contacts and makeup anyway.

Going by the uniforms dat and picard are wearing it looks like he'll be present in dream sequences or something along those lines, be hard to believe in 20 years or so they're still using a tng type uniform especially as it changed in later movies.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Now to wait on the inevitable spammage of "what you missed in picard trailer" youtube vids popping up everywhere with thumbnails showing red circles highlighting absolutely nothing.

Soldato
I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with data's looks - sure its interesting if ur a tech nerd, but give over, its 'good enough', its a TV series where they will likely have to do tons of on screen time for him - not like a movie that's got a specific set of shot lists so can spend more time on the VFX.

Its about the story - not seconds of on screen time for a fictional character, purely judged on the vfx.

I have no doubt Spiner will still be an amazing actor.

Caporegime
I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with data's looks -

Because right away you can tell something doesn't look right about it? Having grown up with tng and the trek movies it's instantly obvious, it's like they went with a lot of prosthetics when Data was always a character that was made with makeup and not much more. As for screen time, Spiner has said his character appears a few times but is not a major character in the series.

Yes its a minor point overall but it is instantly obvious that he doesn't look right.

Soldato
I think it's as simple as he's older, wrinklier and gained weight around the chops.
There's only so much they can do without having to spend stupid money on CGI de-aging.

No biggie to me. It is what it is.

Show looks great btw.

Soldato
I can't wait for this - the Borg Cube looks absolutely immense, I hope they make them the immense villain they were back in TNG - instead of the Voyager Borg, which were amazing still but not quite as scary. I don't particularly care if Data looks a bit off.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Well its why they "killed him off" in the last movie because his health issues mean he wont be able to slim down to even help so the VFX can hide it.

Fortunately they can retcon datas story quite easily to explain it.

Soldato
Because right away you can tell something doesn't look right about it? Having grown up with tng and the trek movies it's instantly obvious, it's like they went with a lot of prosthetics when Data was always a character that was made with makeup and not much more. As for screen time, Spiner has said his character appears a few times but is not a major character in the series.

Yes its a minor point overall but it is instantly obvious that he doesn't look right.

Well when your nearly 70, I'll dig out a picture of you now and start complaining why you don't look identical !!! :D:D:p:p

I would say quite simply - there is likely a lot of scenes with him in, and unlike a movie they can't spend 2 years perfecting it - they need it good enough to get the series out and continue it.

Frankly, and I don't wish to sound mean because Stewart is my absolute all time fav actor - I adore him - he's not getting any younger, they likely need to film the series they want to film for the story (hopefully 7 seasons like TNG), and twice the pace they film TNG at - he's at an age where you simply don't know how long he will live - despite clearly being in great shape for his age.

Caporegime
Well its why they "killed him off" in the last movie because his health issues mean he wont be able to slim down to even help so the VFX can hide it.

Fortunately they can retcon datas story quite easily to explain it.

Pretty sure Spiner just felt he was too old to be playing the character, he wanted to be killed off in insurrection but was convinced otherwise. Even today he's pretty slim, always has been.

There was an interview with him in 2016 and he stated "I think I'd look ridiculous in that makeup now, because I'm just too old for that part. And he shouldn't age... I can't play him anymore, that would be silly."

Soldato
Pretty sure Spiner just felt he was too old to be playing the character, he wanted to be killed off in insurrection but was convinced otherwise. Even today he's pretty slim, always has been.

There was an interview with him in 2016 and he stated "I think I'd look ridiculous in that makeup now, because I'm just too old for that part. And he shouldn't age... I can't play him anymore, that would be silly."

Correct, its only since fairly effective deaging vfx came to light did he get more on board with the role again.

Associate
Hmmm, we "could" just say that in Picards advancing years that his memory of Data is not quite correct anymore. And so we see what Picard remembers in the dream and it's not the same as Data should be. But, still excited to see this, and ready to grab Prime just for this. Although depending on how its released, I may just grab a month of Prime to binge watch it all in one go. :)

Back
Top Bottom